Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DoD seeks plan to shut all US commissaries

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

DoD seeks plan to shut all US commissaries

http://www.airforcetimes.com/article...S-commissaries

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I think they're bluffing. I think this is more "the sky is falling" crap designed to scare folks into thinking DoD can't stomach the tiniest little cut.

I really won't shed any tears if the commissary goes away, but I'm surprised they're not going after AAFES first. That's an organization that has truly outlived its usefulness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooltime View Post
    If the AF is going to treat us like we're in Kindergarten - I wish they'd start up "nap time" after lunch...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Re: DoD seeks plan to shut all US commissaries

Thanks to sequestration (which isn't going away), I think we are on the eve of another massive downsizing/transformation of the military. We will soon reach the point, if we haven't already, where cuts in military bennies will not have that much impact on elections or retention. Sure, plenty of people will point fingers, scream and yell over the cuts, but in the end the cuts will still happen.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Straight from the mouth of the AF undersecretary for finance (not sure if that was his official title, but you get the gist)...
    "All military personnel support programs are on the chopping block"
    Bottom line, if we don't use it (what ever "it" is) there is a very real likelihood that it will go away. Can DECA be replace by a commercial enterprise? Yes...but is that the correct answer? With well documented savings of over 30% across the board (yes sometime items can be found cheaper downtown, and yes sometimes the commissary doesn't carry brand "X" or the meat or veg selection is lacking) it is still a very big benefit that we must all band together to maintain. Write your elected representative, be a member of a TMC org like AFSA, VFW, American Legion, etc.
    At one time (20 years ago) a base was a city of it own, with a sense of community. Now, it is a place to go to work. I don't think it is a stretch to tie some (most) of our morale issues on the decline of the military base.
    "Never force a fart in Djibouti"..."Always marry your second wife first"..."If anyone says that you're not a team player, maybe they're on the wrong team"..."You can gold plate a turd and it's still a turd"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

@Flaps - Agreed. However, for all the talk of sequestration, it amounts to fighting over change we found in the couch compared to how much money we need to come up with to pay our bills.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooltime View Post
    If the AF is going to treat us like we're in Kindergarten - I wish they'd start up "nap time" after lunch...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I do not support the closing of commissaries. Agree it could be more scare tactics or not. What I have noticed as we likely will enter year two of sequestration leading to even bigger cuts than last year, decision makers still just want to go after low hanging fruit. Mean while there are still plenty of other billion dollar wasteful programs that will likely not even be touched.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just read this article....IMHO....not going to pass Congress if it ever gets that far. It is a low hanging fruit but that fruit is poison.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

We should close or privatize all commissaries, except in very remote locations. The government shouldn't be in the grocery business.

Perhaps even commissaries in remote locations should be privatized. The little grocery store at the US military facility on Diego Garcia, the most remote location on Earth, is run by a contractor, not the government.

I wouldn't really mind losing the commissaries here in Hawaii. I'd just go shop at Costco instead.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by USN - Retired View Post
    We should close or privatize all commissaries, except in very remote locations. The government shouldn't be in the grocery business.

Perhaps even commissaries in remote locations should be privatized. The little grocery store at the US military facility on Diego Garcia, the most remote location on Earth, is run by a contractor, not the government.

I wouldn't really mind losing the commissaries here in Hawaii. I'd just go shop at Costco instead.
    We should get rid of the military and privatize that too.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    We should get rid of the military and privatize that too.
    For the most part they already have.

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

I'm thinking one of the big defense contractors could do a better job with the commissaries than DECA.

Just imagine all the high tech food we could buy if Lockheed Martin or Northrop Grumman ran the commissaries. I bet they could come up with some type of high tech cheese doodle that when snacked upon by a depend-a-pottamus it would rearrange their molecular structure so they look like a super model.

Frankly, I am thinking they should just do away with the traditional foodstuffs in the commissary and stock it with an advanced super food like soylent green.