Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oprah thinks only whites are racist.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Re: Oprah thinks only whites are racist.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    I have to disagree with this. I think black people might just be more vocal about it in person.

But the actual level of racism?

If you look at the comments on youtube videos that have a black person in it, or the comments on video clips on locals news websites; you'll see people saying all kinds of vile things about blacks that they wouldn't dare say to anyone's face. Comparing black people to apes, or saying they're doing God's work if it's a black-on-black murder. Not just racist shit, but they're actually tiptoeing the line between racism and supremacy.

The fact that this is happening so much on the internet - but is never said to black people's faces - is actually a cause for concern. I have no idea who could be saying those things. It could be the very people that I interact with daily, that I've never suspected anything from.
    You're absolutely right...they are out there...and we probably all know one or two without actually knowing it. Unfortunately we can't just shoot them (one of the flaws of freedom of speech).

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I don't know...........seems there is enough stupid to go around.

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

I have to disagree with this. I think black people might just be more vocal about it in person.

If you look at the comments on youtube videos that have a black person in it, or the comments on video clips on locals news websites; you'll see people saying all kinds of vile things about blacks that they wouldn't dare say to anyone's face. Comparing black people to apes, or saying they're doing God's work if it's a black-on-black murder. Not just racist shit, but they're actually tiptoeing the line between racism and supremacy.

The fact that this is happening so much on the internet - but is never said to black people's faces - is actually a cause for concern. I have no idea who could be saying those things. It could be the very people that I interact with daily, that I've never suspected anything from.
    That might be cause if you DO say it to a black person's face, you
    A) get beat down
    B) sued and
    C) pulled through the mud on the talk shows and in the press for being a bigot and racist.

While when a black person says it to your face, they are exercising their first amendment rights.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yea, behind the "anonymity" of the internet, people will express there most vile thoughts and feelings. Would they say such things to peoples faces? I very much doubt it, for any number of reasons, but I suspect that it's because they know those vile thoughts are not just socially wrong but wrong, period. I've talked to a lot of white people about race, and many of them are frustrated and confused about race and race relations. People have these phases in their heads, they think them sometimes when they are upset, but in calmer moments recognize that they aren't true and would never speak them. White folks don't seem to be able to make the leap from "my black friend" (an individual expirence) to understanding writ-large about race (a social understanding).

I don't know, rereading that, it borders on excusing. Not my intent, but at the risk of being called out on it, I'll post it anyway. There are real, no shit, bigot, racists, and supremesists out there...in my experience they are mostly in the older generations, but not only there. Standing up to them, one white guy telling another he's f'd up about race, is a good way to get a beat down, but I've had to do it on occassion. Funny thing about that, just one person of the same race standing up to it (racism) shuts it down pretty fast, at least face to face. Not so much on the internet.