Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Results 61 to 66 of 66

Thread: You Can Keep Your Healthcare?

  1. #61
    Senior Member grimreaper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    4th Dimension
    Posts
    753
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: You Can Keep Your Healthcare?

    Quote Originally Posted by imnohero View Post
    The economics answer is because they can't sell them for $3. But insurance is not a competative market the way fast food is. In most places there are only 1 or 2 health insurance companies. In my state Blue Cross controls like 70% of the market, Humana has most of the rest, and there are one or two companies that control <1% in various local markets that are not state wide. That's why I argued in the past that the insurance exchanges should be national level, not state.
    And Congress could have changed all that. An idea that was noticeably left out of the healthcare bill was allowing insurance companies to sell across state lines...something they cannot do right now, thus, less competition. When that and tort reform were not part of the equation, those were telltale signs that there was nothing being done to try and control costs. And now we have the ACA which forces people to buy a product where the costs are just going to keep rising.

  2. #62
    Senior Member AJBIGJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    988
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: You Can Keep Your Healthcare?

    Quote Originally Posted by imnohero View Post
    Not really, it's just a bad analogy. Is your point that insurance companies won't necessarily drop profitable policies? That may be true. My point is that the verbage of the law doesn't stop them from doing it. It just says they don't have to for the next year. In other words, the "keep your insurance act" doesn't really let you keep your insurance. If the bill passes, people don't have any more choice in whether they get to keep their policy than now. The best case is that a policy gets extended for a year and then gets cancelled.
    I can't speak to re-issue of policies and how or whether that is supposed to work, but for policies not yet cancelled it probably would result in far less of that, because the policies are grandfathered they would not have to be cancelled. Kind of like selling the $.99 Double Cheeseburger in lieu of nothing.

    Point being, there would be an effect on the number of cancellations, probably a substantial amount, because the only reason a company would have to drop the policies that were previously issued was because they no longer continued to be profitable. That's just common sense.
    "The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." ~ Thomas Jefferson

    It will be of little avail to the people that the laws are made by men of their own choice if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be read, or so incoherent that they cannot be understood.
    James Madison

  3. #63
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,236
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: You Can Keep Your Healthcare?

    Quote Originally Posted by AJBIGJ View Post
    I can't speak to re-issue of policies and how or whether that is supposed to work, but for policies not yet cancelled it probably would result in far less of that, because the policies are grandfathered they would not have to be cancelled. Kind of like selling the $.99 Double Cheeseburger in lieu of nothing.

    Point being, there would be an effect on the number of cancellations, probably a substantial amount, because the only reason a company would have to drop the policies that were previously issued was because they no longer continued to be profitable. That's just common sense.
    Its a way to stop the bleeding instead of having even more than 5 million people lose their insurance, just like why Obama unilaterally gave businesses a year before they are mandated to follow the law. Its all about the votes, and this is a thought that will keep people voting for dems before they are dropped from the insurance and have to see the price of their new plans. Its what Ted Cruz was filibustering for and why the house passed all those bills that Harry Reid didnt allow to be voted on in the senate.
    Liberalism; such great ideas, they need to force you to follow them.

    Socialism is for the people, not the socialist.

    Economic Left/Right: 7.38
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.08
    politicalcompass.org
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  4. #64
    Senior Member AJBIGJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    988
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: You Can Keep Your Healthcare?

    Quote Originally Posted by WILDJOKER5 View Post
    Its a way to stop the bleeding instead of having even more than 5 million people lose their insurance, just like why Obama unilaterally gave businesses a year before they are mandated to follow the law. Its all about the votes, and this is a thought that will keep people voting for dems before they are dropped from the insurance and have to see the price of their new plans. Its what Ted Cruz was filibustering for and why the house passed all those bills that Harry Reid didnt allow to be voted on in the senate.
    You're confusing me in your wording (aka use of pronouns) a bit here, when you say "it" are you referring to the Republican coordinated bill itself?
    "The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." ~ Thomas Jefferson

    It will be of little avail to the people that the laws are made by men of their own choice if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be read, or so incoherent that they cannot be understood.
    James Madison

  5. #65
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,236
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: You Can Keep Your Healthcare?

    Quote Originally Posted by AJBIGJ View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WILDJOKER5 View Post
    The new bill is a way to stop the bleeding instead of having even more than 5 million people lose their insurance, just like why Obama unilaterally gave businesses a year before they are mandated to follow the law. Its all about the votes, and this is a thought that will keep people voting for dems before they are dropped from the insurance and have to see the price of their new plans. Its what Ted Cruz was filibustering for and why the house passed all those bills that Harry Reid didnt allow to be voted on in the senate.
    You're confusing me in your wording (aka use of pronouns) a bit here, when you say "it" are you referring to the Republican coordinated bill itself?
    Yeah, sorry. Dems are on board with the new bill to save their arse before mid terms.
    Liberalism; such great ideas, they need to force you to follow them.

    Socialism is for the people, not the socialist.

    Economic Left/Right: 7.38
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.08
    politicalcompass.org
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  6. #66
    Senior Member AJBIGJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    988
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: You Can Keep Your Healthcare?

    Quote Originally Posted by WILDJOKER5 View Post
    Yeah, sorry. Dems are on board with the new bill to save their arse before mid terms.
    Some are certainly walking back a few things based on their party line certainly. I think that's what the Clintons are doing for 2016 at the very least.
    "The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." ~ Thomas Jefferson

    It will be of little avail to the people that the laws are made by men of their own choice if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be read, or so incoherent that they cannot be understood.
    James Madison

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •