Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Headaches after running

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Headaches after running

I've been getting these awful headaches after running outside lately. At first I thought it might be an allergy, so I tried running at night (when the allergens typically aren't as prevalent). But it didn't help. Running on a treadmill seems ok but that is so incredibly boring. Between the pain and being bored out of my mind on the treadmill I've cut my weekly mileage down to 6 from 20+.

My neck seems really sore on the right where it attaches to my skull, too. The headache is over my right temple and lasts for three days, even with medication, so it's pretty severe. The headache is about a 7 on the pain scale so it's no joke. I don't see any lights or flashes or anything like that and sleep doesn't help.

CT scan shows up normal and I haven't been in an auto accident or tripped or been involved in anything that would give me whiplash. My doc seems kind of stumped. Anyone had or heard of anything like this before? Any suggestions - well aside from amputation - are welcome.
    Newton's First Law of Motion

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Re: Headaches after running

Are you sure it is directly related to running? If so, is your stride on the treadmill drastically different from your road/track stride?

Are you wearing a backpack on your road runs? Could it be a difference in your pre/post run activity from road runs to treadmill days? I'm assuming you probably do a little strength training; any possibility it could be that?

A dietary or food reaction could even cause it, but what you said reminded me of swollen tendons impacting a nerve. I would try to isolate any differences by jotting down everything in a notebook for a week or two.

Unexplained headaches are creepy, hope it is something minor and goes away soon.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

How are your sinuses? So far this year, unless I'm on some kind of sudafed the cold air gives me a headache.

Crazy thing is that before the headache, I had no idea that my sinuses where giving me problems. I used warm compresses to lesson the pain since cold air triggered it. I figured it was sinuses once I was laying on my side with a warm compress on my forehead. The pain lessoned on the forehead but appeared around the ear that I was laying on. Go figure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

AIDS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

In the immortal paraphrased words of Ah-nuld, I hope it's NAHT A TOOMAH! But seriously, you should get it checked out. What's the point of having free socialized health care if you don't use it?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Oh, I did have it checked out. Got a CT scan, drugs, and shrugs of "i don't know". I also got an allergy test too, so we'll see about that.

I'm beginning to suspect its my neck causing the headaches and my office chair as the culprit. Which means I can honestly say work is a pain in the neck.

I did some head rolls prior to running yesterday and my neck popped like rice crispies. But no headache afterwords. So well see what happens.
    Newton's First Law of Motion

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Have you tried acupuncture for your headaches and neck? I used to think it was 'voodoo' medicine, then had it suggested to help with insomnia ... I was really surprised how well it worked.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stalwart View Post
    Have you tried acupuncture for your headaches and neck? I used to think it was 'voodoo' medicine, then had it suggested to help with insomnia ... I was really surprised how well it worked.
    It worked for insomnia?

I have battled that off and on for years and never like to take sleeping aids.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    It worked for insomnia?

I have battled that off and on for years and never like to take sleeping aids.
    It sure did, I also hate to take sleep aids etc.

I had it done through the military (it as actually a military doctor whose specialty was alternative medicine.)

I am not sure if it available via the military in your area, but I would recommend checking it out.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

I'm a bit of a skeptic but I'll read up on it, thanks for the tip.