Thread: "Send a box of <fundraiser items> to the troops!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"Send a box of <fundraiser items> to the troops!"

My son's Boy Scout fundraiser is selling popcorn tins and boxes of microwave popcorn. The order form has an option for people to buy a box of popcorn ($25!) and have it "sent to the troops". I think I've seen this before with a cookie fundraiser too.

My question is: has anyone here ever actually received any kind of fundraiser item?

I'm in a career field that only deploys in extremely rare cases...is this something that you only see if you are deployed?

Are you handed a box of Campmasters microwave popcorn as you step off the C-130?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Re: "Send a box of <fundraiser items> to the troops!"

Quote Originally Posted by Kicker47 View Post
    My son's Boy Scout fundraiser is selling popcorn tins and boxes of microwave popcorn. The order form has an option for people to buy a box of popcorn ($25!) and have it "sent to the troops". I think I've seen this before with a cookie fundraiser too.

My question is: has anyone here ever actually received any kind of fundraiser item?

I'm in a career field that only deploys in extremely rare cases...is this something that you only see if you are deployed?

Are you handed a box of Campmasters microwave popcorn as you step off the C-130?
    I've received stuff, but I didn't quite understand why. We usually had a BX, Subway, etc, on the base. I guess it's a feel good thing for people to do, and in the military it's usually a "look at me supporting our downrange troops" thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The only time I ever saw anything was when care packages were sent to the unit directly. In those cases, I usually divided it amongst the guys who had no one back home to send them stuff. Never saw any of these promo things, I imagine they end up in the hands of someone on a base with access to creature comforts and is nowhere near the fight...
    Disclaimer: All names, dates and locations have been changed in order to protect the guilty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nothing makes your co-workers green with envy like getting a box.
    "Wrong" is one of those concepts that requires witnesses. Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    I've received stuff, but I didn't quite understand why. We usually had a BX, Subway, etc, on the base. I guess it's a feel good thing for people to do, and in the military it's usually a "look at me supporting our downrange troops" thing.
    Usually maybe, but not always.
    "Wrong" is one of those concepts that requires witnesses. Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I received stuff. Not when you step off a plane but it will show up randomly. It happened to me on several occasions.

I enjoyed it.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I'm glad the items show up! I don't send the $25 popcorn, but I've bought Girl Scout cookies for troops before.