Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 263

Thread: Christie and Cuccinelli

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Opt out
    Posts
    2,285
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Christie and Cuccinelli

    A couple interesting elections tomorrow.

    Chris Christie, moderate Republican (that's RINO to the conservatives out there), stands to win a landslide victory in usually Democratic New Jersey.

    Ken Cuccinelli, conservative poster-boy, looks to suffer a loss in somewhat conservative Virginia.

    Assuming the polls hold up...will the conservative base see the Christie model as their key to winning...or would they rather stay pure to the cause and lose like cuccinelli?

    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-1...ow-to-win.html

  2. #2
    Senior Member AJBIGJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    988
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Christie and Cuccinelli

    I think that would depend on the individual philosophy. I personally am less-than-a-fan of Christie (not particularly amiable towards Cuccinelli either). If the question is about "Republicans", I think they will remain divided in the near term. Mitt Romney showed what moderates accomplish in National elections, love it or hate it. I think the D's have our country on lockdown a little longer until the principalists and the pragmatists figure out who is the leadership of the party.
    "The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." ~ Thomas Jefferson

    It will be of little avail to the people that the laws are made by men of their own choice if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be read, or so incoherent that they cannot be understood.
    James Madison

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Opt out
    Posts
    2,285
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Re: Christie and Cuccinelli

    Quote Originally Posted by AJBIGJ View Post
    I think that would depend on the individual philosophy. I personally am less-than-a-fan of Christie (not particularly amiable towards Cuccinelli either). If the question is about "Republicans", I think they will remain divided in the near term. Mitt Romney showed what moderates accomplish in National elections, love it or hate it.
    I disagree with that assessment. I think moderate Romney would have easily won the election...it was the Tea Party Romney that was created during the primaries that lost the general election.

    I think the D's have our country on lockdown a little longer until the principalists and the pragmatists figure out who is the leadership of the party.
    Perhaps.

    I think Christie's leadership ability will appeal to a lot of people...the only question is whether or not he can survive the GOP primaries. I'm curious to see if these elections sway any influence in the party...

  4. #4
    Senior Member AJBIGJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    988
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Christie and Cuccinelli

    Quote Originally Posted by Measure Man View Post
    I disagree with that assessment. I think moderate Romney would have easily won the election...it was the Tea Party Romney that was created during the primaries that lost the general election.

    Perhaps.

    I think Christie's leadership ability will appeal to a lot of people...the only question is whether or not he can survive the GOP primaries. I'm curious to see if these elections sway any influence in the party...
    MSNBC seems to be the news network most enamored with Christie, I have a feeling that won't end well!
    "The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." ~ Thomas Jefferson

    It will be of little avail to the people that the laws are made by men of their own choice if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be read, or so incoherent that they cannot be understood.
    James Madison

  5. #5
    Senior Member grimreaper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    4th Dimension
    Posts
    753
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Christie and Cuccinelli

    Quote Originally Posted by Measure Man View Post
    Ken Cuccinelli, conservative poster-boy, looks to suffer a loss in somewhat conservative Virginia.
    Interesting take. Obama won Virginia in 2008 and 2012 and has they have 2 democratic senators. Trending more blue with each passing election.

    I fail to see the correlation between Cuccinelli being conservative and that being the reason he might lose.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Opt out
    Posts
    2,285
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Re: Christie and Cuccinelli

    Quote Originally Posted by grimreaper View Post
    Interesting take. Obama won Virginia in 2008 and 2012 and has they have 2 democratic senators. Trending more blue with each passing election.

    I fail to see the correlation between Cuccinelli being conservative and that being the reason he might lose.
    What other reason would he lose?

  7. #7
    Senior Member grimreaper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    4th Dimension
    Posts
    753
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Christie and Cuccinelli

    Quote Originally Posted by Measure Man View Post
    What other reason would he lose?
    Oh, I don't know...because he's a Republican running in a State trending more and more Democratic?

    Why is it Democrats typically win in blue states while Republicans typically win in red ones?

    And let's not pretend spending doesn't have anything to do with it...

    Total spending Amount
    For Cuccinelli 14227331
    For McAuliffe 22053041

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...i-in-5-charts/

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Opt out
    Posts
    2,285
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Re: Christie and Cuccinelli

    Quote Originally Posted by grimreaper View Post
    Oh, I don't know...because he's a Republican running in a State trending more and more Democratic?
    Sooooo....he's losing because he's a Republican and not because he's a conservative? What?

    Why is it Democrats typically win in blue states while Republicans typically win in red ones?

    And let's not pretend spending doesn't have anything to do with it...

    Total spending Amount
    For Cuccinelli 14227331
    For McAuliffe 22053041

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...i-in-5-charts/
    Okay...I buy it that Virginia is trending Democrat...like the rest of the country, I suppose.

    Guess we'll see what happens. Judging from your comments and listening to Rush today...the Republican's think there is nothing to learn from Christie's win and Cuccinelli's loss (if it turns out that way)...

  9. #9
    Senior Member grimreaper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    4th Dimension
    Posts
    753
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Christie and Cuccinelli

    Quote Originally Posted by Measure Man View Post
    Sooooo....he's losing because he's a Republican and not because he's a conservative? What?



    Okay...I buy it that Virginia is trending Democrat...like the rest of the country, I suppose.

    Guess we'll see what happens. Judging from your comments and listening to Rush today...the Republican's think there is nothing to learn from Christie's win and Cuccinelli's loss (if it turns out that way)...
    So basically you're saying since you have 1 example of someone like Christie winning in NJ, that means the Republicans should pick that up and run with it? Sure, worked great for maverick McCain in 2008 and Scott Brown in 2012.

    Politics is local. You need to find the right guy. Christie is likeable because of his personality and his no-nonsense approach. If I took many of his positions without identifying who's they were, and asked a room full of Democrats in NJ if they would vote for such a guy, I'd probably get a giant NO from all of them.

  10. #10
    Senior Member AJBIGJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    988
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Christie and Cuccinelli

    All I can say about Christie is he seems to be the guy Democrats, REALLY REALLY want to run against Hillary for President.
    "The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." ~ Thomas Jefferson

    It will be of little avail to the people that the laws are made by men of their own choice if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be read, or so incoherent that they cannot be understood.
    James Madison

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •