Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thread Wars

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Thread Wars

Most of us lived through the infamous Rep Wars and now that the forums have transitioned in the Moderated era, it seems we are now in the midst of a new phenomena, the Thread Wars.

So far, the Thread Wars can be characterized as a petulant rebellion against oafish moderation.

To be fair, it could just as easily be characterized as an oafish rebellion against petulant moderation.

However, there is a question that both sides in this conflict need to ask themselves.

I'm not exactly sure how to phrase that question, but it has to do with personal preferences, biases, and the ability to adapt to a TOS being interpreted and enforced by quirky and fallible moderators.

In my humblest opinion, both sides need to chill the fuck out, but that isn't the point. My main point was to get on record as coining the term "Thread Wars" before anyone else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Thread Wars

You will get all credit for the term "Thread Wars". +1

As I see it, I don't think the forums are being moderated OR used perfectly. I think things are getting better, but there are some who want to stir things up and rehash the same old issues as well.

On moderation: Yes, we (me) have closed a thread when it shouldn't have been. At the same time, some threads have gone on for so long and deviated so far from the original intent that they get unfollow-able by users. Ideally, we would have many threads on different topics, but keeping to that topic closely. Threads that are shorter with more specific discussions are easy for people to engage with and stay current on. Long threads that shift from topic to topic are good, but they are extremely difficult for new members, or members not involved in that topic, to get involved with, to catch up, and be active.

On Users: Many say the forums of late have been all about the mods. I would tend to say there is a lot of conversation about the moderators, but that seems to be the only subject some people want to talk about. If you don't want there to be so much talk about the mods, then don't talk about them. At this point, I think it is pretty clear that the boards are now, and will be moderated so saying they shouldn't be is pretty senseless.

Some say there are no more 'fun' threads, I disagree but they are mostly in the "Off Duty" Forum. While I may not like the topic of some of them, I don't edit or moderate in them unless they violate the ToS / Guidelines. But again, the service Forums are for topics "related to or about ... those services." I say it many times and will say it again, have fun but let those who want to have a serious debate have it.

On the anti-moderation or anti-moderators threads, you don't see too much editing or deleting of those. But at some point 3, 4, 5, 6 etc. threads all complaining about the same issue is redundant.

As many know, if you have a question feel free to ask it. Many people PM any of the moderators. I do make an effort to always get answer, but since this is a part time (an unpaid) job it may take me a while to get you your answer.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Things get better then things get worse.

I think the problem is that some (not all) Mods have a personal opinion on certain issues/ things and act accordingly to said personal opinions. Which translates to certain mods have a personal agenda.

The forum has an uneven playing field between Mods and members. The only way to address the issue is to put it out in the open. Most of the members do not disagree on all of the Mods' actions. Often if the Mods' response matches the infraction there is not an objection. There have been comments, but they are more of the sideline opinions of what took place. Don't confuse sideline comments as to objections.

However, when the response does not match the infraction, or a Mod responds in a subjective and bias manner then everyone (the Mods and other members) should not complain when someone publicly objects. It is the only way members can address these issues.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Also, the new anti moderation threads pop up when the new problems re-occurs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RS6405 View Post
    However, when the response does not match the infraction, or a Mod responds in a subjective and bias manner then everyone (the Mods and other members) should not complain when someone publicly objects. It is the only way members can address these issues.
    I agree, but again sometimes the stronger response is a sum of several lesser infractions.

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

How to respond to a community revolt.

There are a lot of articles and content out there on the internet about forum moderation.

Check out this article and site, good stuff!

http://www.communityspark.com/respon...munity-revolt/

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

But if there is no regulated response or guidelines then it is a subject response of those in power. Since (I believe) you are talking about Tak's banning, you first banned him for a week then changed it to forever based no new actions, just personal opinions.

Honestly the one banning I am most frustrated about is RC's. He got a month ban, when it could have been much less. Also I am not discussing certain facts that you and I both know about, which should have been taken in consideration yet was not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes, Tak's ban was 'upgraded', at the same time though when he was allowed to return he was told that he would not be allowed any more infractions. He actually got 4 before he was banned.

For RC, yes his ban could have been for 1, 2, 3, 4 etc days. This is this 4th banning in 3 months, the last one was for 30 days and was 'downgraded' to 15 days. The circumstances with RC do not give him carte blanche to be disruptive or to start being vulgar / attack moderators in PMs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    How to respond to a community revolt.

There are a lot of articles and content out there on the internet about forum moderation.

Check out this article and site, good stuff!

http://www.communityspark.com/respon...munity-revolt/
    I will read that, thanks.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes, but the prior banning was before the Mods said (or implied) they would examine how they ban members. I had believed that a systematic approach would be applied to all members not just ones who are friends with vocal members or empowered mods.