Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stationed in California with kids?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Stationed in California with kids?

Here's a concern of mine. Anyone here currently stationed in liberal Cali with kids? What are you doing about the school situation? A lot of craziness coming out with these bathrooms as well as the education and whatnot. If you are, like me and my family, part of the traditional conservative "nazi hate based biased bigot racist white supremacist" value based family - what options do you have if you get orders to that state?

Or is the media causing a huge overreaction? Keep in mind I have been stationed overseas for almost a decade, so I am asking because I am truly ignorant on it and my only source of knowledge is the slanted media. At the same time, it's hard for the media to slant the fact that bathrooms are now pretty much gender neutral..that a kid can select their "gender identity" regardless of what genitals they were born with and just walk into whatever bathroom they feel like. In grade school I see that being awkward but not a real problem. In high school I see that being a witches brew for sexual assault disaster, mostly for girls but also for the boys that are introverts and the socially awkward/bullied. Then there is the progressive doctrine that I hear about...I sure wouldn't want my kid in that school system.

Edit: Let me caveat this post with I don't want to make this post a lib vs conservative bashing post. I am sure we have liberals on here that kind of dread getting stationed in Texas. In that case...what would THEY do as well? So I guess the post is what are the options for both sides?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Stationed in California with kids?

As long as you have talked to your kids and given them a strong foundation you should be fine. Let them know they are going to experience things that are different and that's not a bad thing. Just tell them remember where they come from and make good choices. As with anything communication in all things is key.

As much as I hate California I can't bash it to much. The media loves to seize single snippets of things to tell a story about the whole.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drackore View Post
    Here's a concern of mine. Anyone here currently stationed in liberal Cali with kids? What are you doing about the school situation? A lot of craziness coming out with these bathrooms as well as the education and whatnot. If you are, like me and my family, part of the traditional conservative "nazi hate based biased bigot racist white supremacist" value based family - what options do you have if you get orders to that state?

Or is the media causing a huge overreaction? Keep in mind I have been stationed overseas for almost a decade, so I am asking because I am truly ignorant on it and my only source of knowledge is the slanted media. At the same time, it's hard for the media to slant the fact that bathrooms are now pretty much gender neutral..that a kid can select their "gender identity" regardless of what genitals they were born with and just walk into whatever bathroom they feel like. In grade school I see that being awkward but not a real problem. In high school I see that being a witches brew for sexual assault disaster, mostly for girls but also for the boys that are introverts and the socially awkward/bullied. Then there is the progressive doctrine that I hear about...I sure wouldn't want my kid in that school system.

Edit: Let me caveat this post with I don't want to make this post a lib vs conservative bashing post. I am sure we have liberals on here that kind of dread getting stationed in Texas. In that case...what would THEY do as well? So I guess the post is what are the options for both sides?
    It's an overreaction. I doubt your kids will notice any difference at when it comes to the things you're talking about. Was raised in California schools, and stationed there twice. Not once did I hear a parent complain that the school was too "liberal".

As far as the bathroom worries, I'd equate it to the stories of basic trainees having time-out cards. It's something people claim happens, but it's just not going on (except for maybe in some select areas). I'm not sure which base you will be stationed at, but I'd bet you have nothing to worry about. And I also don't think you have to worry about the teachers teaching with a "liberal slant". Not until college, anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    It's an overreaction. I doubt your kids will notice any difference at when it comes to the things you're talking about. Was raised in California schools, and stationed there twice. Not once did I hear a parent complain that the school was too "liberal".

As far as the bathroom worries, I'd equate it to the stories of basic trainees having time-out cards. It's something people claim happens, but it's just not going on (except for maybe in some select areas). I'm not sure which base you will be stationed at, but I'd bet you have nothing to worry about. And I also don't think you have to worry about the teachers teaching with a "liberal slant". Not until college, anyway.
    The Bathroom is not just a worry, it is real. Starting Jan 1, students can use the bathroom with the gender they identify.
    http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/13/us/cal...er-school-law/

The California schools are teaching with a liberal slant as required by law.
    http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/07/14/cal...gbt.education/

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Beautiful state. it's known for good schools. Too bad it has Californians in it. check out school digger. you'll figure out the rest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by colethings View Post
    The California schools are teaching with a liberal slant as required by law.
    http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/07/14/cal...gbt.education/
    Yes, because teaching FACTS is a liberal bias. Did you actually read the article?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I teach my children that when they encounter stupid, they just leave it alone and move on. I've thought them to think for themselves and do their own research.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You can always go the home schooling or private school route.
    Antes de que vengas a juzgarme por que escribo el inglés con errores te pregunto: Cuantos idiomas tu hablas?! Solo uno? Y vienes a juzgar mi inteligencia?! Por favor mirate en el espejo y veras en él reflejo la imagen clara de la estupidez...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch View Post
    You can always go the home schooling or private school route.
    Wouldn't the private schools in Cali be required to adhere to this bathroom rule? Or will it apply only to public schools?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If you join the petition, you may successfully help implement the creation of the state of "Jefferson"!
    "The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." ~ Thomas Jefferson

It will be of little avail to the people that the laws are made by men of their own choice if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be read, or so incoherent that they cannot be understood.
    James Madison