Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moral question:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Moral question:

Here is a what if situation:

It's Veteran's Day..... (Thank you all for serving, BTW)

You decided to go to your a local restaurant that is offer ending free lunch for those who have served. There is a homeless man in front of you while waiting to be seated. He asking for a free lunch while claiming to have been a vet. The hostess asks the man for some kind of proof, but he doesn't have anything.

What would you do?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Re: Moral question:

My answer doesn't rely on it being Veteran's Day or not; simply buy the man a meal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stalwart View Post
    My answer doesn't rely on it being Veteran's Day or not; simply buy the man a meal.
    Yep, echo that.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Would anything be different, if after talking to him, you believe he had served?

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

I've become a little jaded when it comes to homeless. Where I live there are so many and though a good number of them are living on the street, most are simply junkies with a place to live and have little interest in food.

That said, anytime I see a person ask for food, I get them some food, but NEVER money.

I used to hand out wool socks and gloves and those little cans of tuna to those who are truly living on the street, it is easy to tell the difference, just look at how torn down their clothes are, but make no mistake all have a drug and alcohol problem.

There is a very small minority that are on the streets because of severe mental problems and don't do drugs.

Most of the people you see asking for money at street lights have a place to live and are just trying to gather up enough money for a fix.

I used to buy a bacon/egg sandwich and a cup of coffee for an old squeegee bum every once and a while and pass it to him when I passed his corner, I'm sure he is long dead now.

If you live in an area with lots of pan handlers, you really shouldn't give them money. The best thing you can do is get some business cards of a church/shelter that offers a drug recovery program and hand that to them when they approach your car.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

If he was homeless, I doubt I would pay much mind if he was a veteran or not ... unless he was being an ass to people etc. At that point my empathy may run short.

Last Veteran's day I was having a late breakfast at a diner close to here. I heard a guy (younger than me) talking up the waitress about his time in the Marine Corps, fighting in Afghanistan etc. I walked up with the intent of buying his meal (he wasn't homeless, but I was going to do it just to be nice to a fellow Marine.) When I said "Semper Fi", short for the Marine motto Semper Fidelis (always faithful), he said "what?", so I said the full version "Semper Fidelis" and he asked me what that was. I just said to have a nice day. I either met the first Marine I ever knew who didn't know what that was, or a guy who had never been in the Marine Corps.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stalwart View Post
    If he was homeless, I doubt I would pay much mind if he was a veteran or not ... unless he was being an ass to people etc. At that point my empathy may run short.

Last Veteran's day I was having a late breakfast at a diner close to here. I heard a guy (younger than me) talking up the waitress about his time in the Marine Corps, fighting in Afghanistan etc. I walked up with the intent of buying his meal (he wasn't homeless, but I was going to do it just to be nice to a fellow Marine.) When I said "Semper Fi", short for the Marine motto Semper Fidelis (always faithful), he said "what?", so I said the full version "Semper Fidelis" and he asked me what that was. I just said to have a nice day. I either met the first Marine I ever knew who didn't know what that was, or a guy who had never been in the Marine Corps.
    Wow, worst imposter ever. I was at KFC a few months ago and witnessed an older couple buy a meal for a shopping cart guy (can't say if he's homeless or not but he did have a shopping cart full of cans parked outside). He looked downtrodden and was sipping a cup of coffee. They brought the tray of food over (a complete KFC meal) and presented it to him as they were leaving. About 15 minutes later he got up and left without touching a single thing on the tray...
    "Never force a fart in Djibouti"..."Always marry your second wife first"..."If anyone says that you're not a team player, maybe they're on the wrong team"..."You can gold plate a turd and it's still a turd"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I live here in Pasadena CA right off the main street (Colorado) where they have the Rose Bowl Parade every year. There are a lot of homeless and down trodden people that roam up and down the street EVERY single day, and they are always asking for money. There is this older black guy who walks around with a cane who really does need it, but every time I see him he always ask for money. The first 4 times he gave this spill about just getting out of prison until I told him that was getting alittle old and he needs to stop. I refuse to give them money because there are a number of half way houses right off this road, and it seems the homeless have some really nice clothes.

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CYBERFX1024 View Post
    I live here in Pasadena CA right off the main street (Colorado) where they have the Rose Bowl Parade every year. There are a lot of homeless and down trodden people that roam up and down the street EVERY single day, and they are always asking for money. There is this older black guy who walks around with a cane who really does need it, but every time I see him he always ask for money. The first 4 times he gave this spill about just getting out of prison until I told him that was getting alittle old and he needs to stop. I refuse to give them money because there are a number of half way houses right off this road, and it seems the homeless have some really nice clothes.
    I think giving money to panhandlers (junkies) is the worst thing you can do. You are just enabling their drug habit.

The exit ramp off the Capitol beltway onto Connecticut Ave leads in to Chevy Chase, an affluent neighborhood. I took that route to work every morning for three years and it has to be prime real estate for panhandlers.

Every time I was stopped at that light I saw panhandlers get at least one dollar sometimes more.

The red light cycles through every three minutes and that comes out to nearly twenty dollars per hour.

If I can find the story about the guy in NYC who faked being an amputee, I'll post a link.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

In the past i have gone into walmart or some other store and came out with 2-3 bags each with a bottle of water, a sandwich pack and a candy bar for those homeless. Most have taken it with a gleeful thanks on their face.. One guy though told me to PO, just give him damn cash or nothing!.. So i told him "Nothing it is"..