Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: AAFES Restaurants That Wouldn't Hack It Outside the Gate

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: AAFES Restaurants That Wouldn't Hack It Outside the Gate

When I first got here, I was going to school in the evening and had some time to kill between work and school. Rolled over to the BX and Anthony's. When I was in Guam in the early 90's, it was pretty good. That one was replaced with Dominoes when I was there recently. Anywho, I ordered a slice and the guy said, "You don't want that." Ummm, OK. Thanks? Everything in the food court closes at 1700'ish and apparently they don't make new stuff since lunch. I went to Taco Bell. Hard to jack that up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Our base could use a 24/7 Waffle House. On a side note. They have Food trucks selling the gourmet dishes come from off base that set up in front of the BX. The prices are kind of high. I'm sure that Uncle AAFEs has to get his cut.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stalwart View Post
    There was a pretty good chain on Camp Lejeune in 2000 called Andy's (local burger chain with good cheesesteak). I don't know if they are still on base (they are still in business in town), they were pretty good.
    Dude, Andy's is never going anyway on Lejeune. It was packed there every single day during the week when I was last there in 2007. That restaurant was the one that they sent new hires too to learn as well. I used to love to order their cheesesteak too. They are primarily a NC foodchain though, that sucks for real. When I was home on leave in Greensboro I saw that they opened up a Andy's 10mins from my house. So I had to eat there for old times sake.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CYBERFX1024 View Post
    Dude, Andy's is never going anyway on Lejeune. It was packed there every single day during the week when I was last there in 2007. That restaurant was the one that they sent new hires too to learn as well. I used to love to order their cheesesteak too. They are primarily a NC foodchain though, that sucks for real. When I was home on leave in Greensboro I saw that they opened up a Andy's 10mins from my house. So I had to eat there for old times sake.
    I don't know if they have branched out to Army & Air Force sites in NC, but Andy's is definately worth the time (was just down in New Bern a couple of weekends ago and we saw one -- instant pit stop.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FLAPS, USAF (ret) View Post
    I'm surprised RH has lasted this long. So nice to see Subways on many bases. Now it's time for another successful chain to kill off Anthony's. Over my career I was always convinced that the lack of competition is the #1 reason most of the nasty government restaurants have lasted as long as they have.
    Papa John's Pizza is at the exchange at the Presidio of Monterey. Good pizza.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OtisRNeedleman View Post
    Papa John's Pizza is at the exchange at the Presidio of Monterey. Good pizza.
    Vandenberg was talking about getting a Papa John's on base, I heard talks broke down because AAFES wanted to control their hours and they wanted them to set up in the BX. Last I heard they wanted their own building and hours.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kicker47 View Post
    I've sworn off Anthony's Pizza since the last time I ate it, about 10 minutes later, my stomach started making a sound that was best described as "a washing machine full of chocolate pudding".

With as much "Healthy Living" rhetoric that AF has been spewing, I'm mildly surprised that they haven't started weeding out the grease-pits like BK.

Years ago at Minot, I think the NAF eating places were worse than the AAFES places. Roughrider's Pizza was essentially greasey cardboard with processed artificial cheese food and watered down tomato sauce. I once made the mistake of trying what they called a "calzone" (note: it wasn't a "calzone"). It was a stack of artificial pepperoni topped with yellow cheese ("WTF is this?" I exclaimed) inside an undercooked ball of dough. I would eat nothing but Anthony's for a week before I eat at Roughriders again. They used to have a Sub-Shop near the ball fields that was half-decent, but they axed that place (of course).

I used to go to the Base Advisory Council meetings there, and every month, people would ask about getting new or better food places. It got to the point where it must have been embarressing for the AAFES and NAF reps.
    RoughRiders just reopened and the calzone is gross and way overpriced. The best thing about the BX is Blue Elephant and it's a trailer outside and sadly today was it's last day on base.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BOSS302 View Post
    You are gross about the Eastern European chick.

I wonder if we are discussing the same guy at Popeye's. This "gentleman" is middle-aged, light-skinned, a bit portly. He has this constant look of mild surprise on his face.

NYPD and Roadhouse are the worst. Ever. In history. You can pay $6 for a shitty slice of pizza and a drink, or you can spend $5 and bake yourself a whole delicious DiGiorno pizza.

I will say that the few times I have eaten from Charley's in Lakenheath, it's always hit the spot. Good stuff.
    We are absolutely talking about the same guy at popeyes. Charley's is decent but only good because it's in the UK and there is not many options especially at lunch hour. If you go right around 12 you will be waiting for 30m for a sandwich and the grill will be filthy. The eateries definitely take advantage of the COLA. $7 for a number one at BK? Give me a break. I think the best deal is the Lak Commissary sandwiches but their line is also long and hard to justify if you work at mildenhall.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Airborne View Post
    I think the best deal is the Lak Commissary sandwiches but their line is also long and hard to justify if you work at mildenhall.
    When I was there the RAFL Commissary took sandwich orders by fax. Get it in by 1000 ready by 1130 (might of been 1200...). And 2 lines, 1 for people ordering it then and there and 1 for faxed. The RAFM Commissary usually had ready made sandwiches. And yes they were the best deal for lunch although the Dragon House right off the central circle in Mildenhall was some good eats.
    Rear Admiral Yancy Graham: You watch yourself, Dodge. You are addressing a superior officer!
    Lt. Comd. Dodge: No, merely a higher ranking one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jmb27 View Post
    Many years ago, before I got here, Cape Canaveral had a Chick-Fil-A truck that would come up to the base with a cooler full of chicken sandwiches and sell them. All they had was the original chicken sandwich and they would sell out every day. Even though you couldn't get the fries, or even a drink with the sandwich they still threatened the BK, Robin Hood and whatever shitty place was here at the time. They all started loosing business until AAFES got Chick-Fil-A banned.

Now all they have is a BK that sells room temperature burgers and a Subway that has a longer wait time than a regular lunch break.
    I remember that when I was at Patrick. They used to have a mom and pop trailer that parked in front of the BX during the winter and spring months for two years on Patrick that served fresh Chicken Fajitas and Butterfly Fries. I used to frequent there weekly, and the lines were long! Next thing you know they got kicked off base because Taco Bell and Charley's bitched and complained about them cutting into their profits. The family that ran it was devastated.

Where I'm at now at Keesler they only have the basic places: Charley's, Taco Bell, Anthony's, Subway, Manchu Wok, Starbucks, and Baskin Robbins. The Baskin Robbins didn't have soft ice cream because their machine was broke for a year and then their freezer went and there was no hard ice cream for a year after that. I wish it became a Dunkin Donuts because I can't stand Starbucks coffee and their prices. The Manchu Wok doesn't make much money so I heard they are going to try and turn it into Krystal which is the South's crappy imitation of White Castle.