Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: AAFES Restaurants That Wouldn't Hack It Outside the Gate

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Re: AAFES Restaurants That Wouldn't Hack It Outside the Gate

There is a new place on Seymore Johnson AFB called Miss Irma's that serves elementary school cafeteria food.

The signature dish is called Bologna Cup, it is a slice of bologna with a scoop of instant mashed potatoes, topped with a thin slice of imitation cheddar cheese. They bake the Bologna cups in mass for just long enough to melt the cheese and give the mashed potatoes a brownish tint.

They usually pair up the Bologna Cups with Carrot & Raisin salad, shredded carrots and raisins mixed with Miracle Whip.

Wash it down with a small carton of warm chocolate milk and you've got yourself a treat. You can also find the usual school cafeteria offerings at Miss Irma's like Salisbury steak, fish sticks, and sloppy joes.

I've got to give them credit for thinking outside the box for the concept of Miss Irma's, it's institutional style food in the BX food court.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

There was a pretty good chain on Camp Lejeune in 2000 called Andy's (local burger chain with good cheesesteak). I don't know if they are still on base (they are still in business in town), they were pretty good.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Anyone ever eat at the Cinnabon at Ramstein (KMCC)...something was amiss. It definitely was not the same recipe as in the states.
    "Never force a fart in Djibouti"..."Always marry your second wife first"..."If anyone says that you're not a team player, maybe they're on the wrong team"..."You can gold plate a turd and it's still a turd"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think a majority of the restaurants at AAFES installations wouldn't survive "as is" outside the gate, but they do really well on base because people simply have horrible taste and are lazy. Plus, they don't want to try anything else. We actually have a pretty nice Bäckerei in our PX that serves really good coffee, pastries, and sandwiches, but it's NEVER busy. Meanwhile, Taco Bell (with its somewhat limited menu), Pizza Hut (not even close to being legit), and Popeyes (can't really complain there, it's still pretty good) are always packed. It amazes me how many people I've talked to here that have never even tried a döner. Absolutely shameful.
    Do you know the difference between education and experience? Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't. -Pete Seeger

Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. -Arnold Palmer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chief_KO View Post
    Anyone ever eat at the Cinnabon at Ramstein (KMCC)...something was amiss. It definitely was not the same recipe as in the states.
    Agreed. I guess I would liken it to a grocery store shelf version if Cinnabon. Just not that good.
    Do you know the difference between education and experience? Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't. -Pete Seeger

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by akruse View Post
    The BK there absolutely takes the cake for shittiest everything ever. The Pizza Hut they finally got to was definitely not the pizza hut recipe from the states.
    I was once going through the drive-thru at BK (I was desperate, had just finished a 14 hour shift and hadn't eaten in about 10). I get up to the intercom and the douche-nozzle on the other side start impersonating Squidward from Spongebob and keeps asking if I want to order a crabby patty. Stumbled into the Commissary and got a deli sandwich instead. Haven't had a reason to go back to BK since.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Many years ago, before I got here, Cape Canaveral had a Chick-Fil-A truck that would come up to the base with a cooler full of chicken sandwiches and sell them. All they had was the original chicken sandwich and they would sell out every day. Even though you couldn't get the fries, or even a drink with the sandwich they still threatened the BK, Robin Hood and whatever shitty place was here at the time. They all started loosing business until AAFES got Chick-Fil-A banned.

Now all they have is a BK that sells room temperature burgers and a Subway that has a longer wait time than a regular lunch break.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It always seems restaurants on base have such shitty service, it's a wonder the company doesn't come in a make changes. It's what we come to expect (and accept) on base though.

If you've been to Osan then you have no doubt been to Chili's. There is a spin off/knock off at Kunsan called Pepper's. Similar menu but with different names for items. It's horrible, slow, under/over cooked. If it wasn't for a lack of choices at Kunsan, even that place wouldn't survive on base.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've sworn off Anthony's Pizza since the last time I ate it, about 10 minutes later, my stomach started making a sound that was best described as "a washing machine full of chocolate pudding".

With as much "Healthy Living" rhetoric that AF has been spewing, I'm mildly surprised that they haven't started weeding out the grease-pits like BK.

Years ago at Minot, I think the NAF eating places were worse than the AAFES places. Roughrider's Pizza was essentially greasey cardboard with processed artificial cheese food and watered down tomato sauce. I once made the mistake of trying what they called a "calzone" (note: it wasn't a "calzone"). It was a stack of artificial pepperoni topped with yellow cheese ("WTF is this?" I exclaimed) inside an undercooked ball of dough. I would eat nothing but Anthony's for a week before I eat at Roughriders again. They used to have a Sub-Shop near the ball fields that was half-decent, but they axed that place (of course).

I used to go to the Base Advisory Council meetings there, and every month, people would ask about getting new or better food places. It got to the point where it must have been embarressing for the AAFES and NAF reps.

Newbie - (Restricted)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jshiver15 View Post
    I was once going through the drive-thru at BK (I was desperate, had just finished a 14 hour shift and hadn't eaten in about 10). I get up to the intercom and the douche-nozzle on the other side start impersonating Squidward from Spongebob and keeps asking if I want to order a crabby patty. Stumbled into the Commissary and got a deli sandwich instead. Haven't had a reason to go back to BK since.
    Everytime I see or hear the term "douche-nozzle", I laugh to myself and promise to use it in my everyday language, but I always forget to do so. Kudos to you, my good man. This gem of a term should be used more often.