Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: AAFES Restaurants That Wouldn't Hack It Outside the Gate

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: AAFES Restaurants That Wouldn't Hack It Outside the Gate

Quote Originally Posted by Airborne View Post
    I guess military income as a whole doesnt hack it but I would love some more mid-scale eateries like Chipotle and Pei Wei to be on base. Is manchu-wok an actual place or an AAFES place like anthonys? Never seen one outside of the gate. Ive never seen a Charley's outside of the gate either, but it appears to be a real thing.
    I wondered that for years until I saw a Charley's at a mall near Buckley AFB in Colorado.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Anyone know how this process works? From my perspective it has to be a good deal. You have infrastructure already built most of the time, plenty of workers, pretty much guaranteed customer base, and pretty good stability. Now I'm sure AAFES makes shit really difficult and I'm guessing there is a bidding or contracting process involved as well.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

There's a Charley's at the Arundel Mills Mall outside Ft Meade, MD.
    Ellsworth was trying to bring in either/both Pizza Hut & Subway. Biggest hurdle for most bases is when the company's come in and do the market research. A year and a half ago it sounded like a go, but nothing has happened so I figure it must have fell through.
    AAFES also share's employees across the various stores, whereas if it was outsourced I doubt Subway would allow a Pizza Hut employee to work there. I agree there should be enough business there, but probably it comes down to how much AAFES would take from the vendor's...I kinda doubt they are open to a flat rental agreement.
    "Never force a fart in Djibouti"..."Always marry your second wife first"..."If anyone says that you're not a team player, maybe they're on the wrong team"..."You can gold plate a turd and it's still a turd"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Burger King at Lakenheath only needs to add a note that reads, "Fuck You", to top-off their customer service. Next door, Popeye's is staffed by one angry black man and several equally-unpleasant Eastern Europeans.

Several years ago, Chili's wanted to open a restaurant downstairs in the newly-built Galaxy Club on RAF Mildenhall. FSS (yes I know not AAFES, but they do sleep together...) decided to screw-up a good thing and demand that 50% of Chili's profits get rolled-back into FSS/NAF. Chili's said, "No", and now RAF Mildenhall has New York Deli & Pizza and Roadhouse Grill...aka...New York Garbage Food and Roadkill Grill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BOSS302 View Post
    The Burger King at Lakenheath only needs to add a note that reads, "Fuck You", to top-off their customer service. Next door, Popeye's is staffed by one angry black man and several equally-unpleasant Eastern Europeans.

Several years ago, Chili's wanted to open a restaurant downstairs in the newly-built Galaxy Club on RAF Mildenhall. FSS (yes I know not AAFES, but they do sleep together...) decided to screw-up a good thing and demand that 50% of Chili's profits get rolled-back into FSS/NAF. Chili's said, "No", and now RAF Mildenhall has New York Deli & Pizza and Roadhouse Grill...aka...New York Garbage Food and Roadkill Grill.
    The BK there absolutely takes the cake for shittiest everything ever. The Pizza Hut they finally got to was definitely not the pizza hut recipe from the states.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Popeyes away from a base (& in Louisiana) rocks, but then again the people who are making the items know what the food is supposed to taste like.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BOSS302 View Post

I think that BK worldwide is has just gone rapidly downhill in the states and was only marginally edible outside of the gates in the UK. My in laws live in newmarket and have never set foot in that BK near the roundabout leading in to town from the north (near Tesco). One time at the popeyes I saw someone stir the sweet tea nearly elbow deep with no protection and a few months later they had the worst rating you could get without getting shut down from public health. One time that one "angry black man" refused me service because I asked for a "bucket" of chicken. I thought he was joking but he was really refusing me service until I corrected myself. I banged one of the eastern euro chicks from the subway at the AFSOC gate on mildenhall so I cant complain about them. New York pizza is not that bad but it does leave something to be desired and it does get very old considering the lack of eateries in the immediate Mil/Lak area.

Newbie - (Restricted)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm at Cannon right now, and besides being an absolute shitty location, our food offerings have improved drastically in the few months. To start, we kicked Anthonys to the curb and brought in Dominos (the first one i've seen at a base), which opened 2 months ago. We also have an awesome Subway, and our Taco Bell is always packed. Next, a couple of food trucks set up shop outside the BX. One serves some decent fried catfish, another great tacos. Those trucks have since moved to other locations on base. The truck that's in front of the BX right now serves the best pulled pork sandwiches I've had in my life.

I'd really like to see a Starbucks set up shop. Right now we have a local joint that "proudly brews" Starbucks coffee, but it just isn't the same.

One idea i've had is to set up a franchise deal to bring in CoCo Ichibanya (Japanese curry joint) onto military bases. I ate there 3x a week minimum when I was at Yokota and everyone I know who's been stationed in Japan raves about it. I'm sure it would be a pain in the ass to bring them in, but I'm equally sure they'd make a killing. They already have locations CONUS but only in the Los Angeles area.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Airborne View Post
    I think that BK worldwide is has just gone rapidly downhill in the states and was only marginally edible outside of the gates in the UK. My in laws live in newmarket and have never set foot in that BK near the roundabout leading in to town from the north (near Tesco). One time at the popeyes I saw someone stir the sweet tea nearly elbow deep with no protection and a few months later they had the worst rating you could get without getting shut down from public health. One time that one "angry black man" refused me service because I asked for a "bucket" of chicken. I thought he was joking but he was really refusing me service until I corrected myself. I banged one of the eastern euro chicks from the subway at the AFSOC gate on mildenhall so I cant complain about them. New York pizza is not that bad but it does leave something to be desired and it does get very old considering the lack of eateries in the immediate Mil/Lak area.
    You are gross about the Eastern European chick.

I wonder if we are discussing the same guy at Popeye's. This "gentleman" is middle-aged, light-skinned, a bit portly. He has this constant look of mild surprise on his face.

NYPD and Roadhouse are the worst. Ever. In history. You can pay $6 for a shitty slice of pizza and a drink, or you can spend $5 and bake yourself a whole delicious DiGiorno pizza.

I will say that the few times I have eaten from Charley's in Lakenheath, it's always hit the spot. Good stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

As much as on-base food ticks me off, I have to admit that it has improved dramatically since my first two assignments.

Kunsan, 91-92: no chain restaurants whatsoever (you had to go to Osan for BK or Popeyes), the Oriental House was the only "restaurant" that offered decent food-but you would have to wait at least 45 minutes for it, "El Lobo" was the most hilarious excuse for mexican food I've ever seen, Anthony's was always dramatically undercooked, and the club had such a rat problem that you had to very brave/drunk to go that route.

KI Sawyer, 92-95: once again there were no chain restaurants whatsoever (always heard it was to prevent competition against the Club), there was a pizza/sandwich shop (can't recall the name) owned by the Club that served the most disgusting food I've ever eaten (everything tasted like it had fine sand in it). That's it. If it weren't for the fact that you could get food delivered from off-base, it would have been chow hall or nothing.
    When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That's my religion.
    -Abraham Lincoln