Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Evals and awards

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Evals and awards

I was contacted over the weekend by a former Sailor of mine. He needed help as he is now transferring from his command and had been tasked with writing his end of tour award (that whole concept I don't like, but I digress) and transfer eval. He and I traded a few emails and I think he has a good product that will capture his efforts and accomplishments.

I have had the opinion for a long time that NO ONE should write their own award or eval / FITREP. I have known some that agreed with me and some that disagreed. I have generally had a policy that 3rd Classes draft for E3 and below, Second Classes for Third Classes, First Classes for Second Classes, Chiefs for First Classes and I would write the first draft on my Chiefs

I understand that Sailors who stay in the Navy need to learn how to write awards and evals; but I have always felt that it was my job to recognize and evaluate the Sailors assigned to my Divisions or Departments -- they provide me the template and the eval input (brag sheet). I actually find a Chief or Officer who tells an E4 to draft his or her own eval to be the epitome of lazy leadership.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Evals and awards

I've seen this in the civilian world. I think its purpose is to self-identify strengths, and weaknesses.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Which to an extent I can understand. Most of the mid-term counselings I have seen are done this way (Identify for me 3 of your strengths and 3 of your weaknesses). I just don't think the annual evaluation (IMO -- the single most important administrative thing I can do for a Sailor) is a time for counseling. Plus, I like the developmental process of getting an E4 to write for E3s, E5s for E4s ... kind of trying to enforce that they are in their way responsible for those junior to them.

Where I really got bent out of shape was as a DIVO on a DDG and my first eval cycle rolled around. My LCPO consolidated the evals she had the Sailors write on themselves, put them in folders and gave them to me. In part this is right on her shoulders as a lazy LCPO who didn't even see that the three E6 evals she gave me were all formated differently. If they had all been the same and wrong I would have been less frustrated, but it was evident she didn't even review them. Which made me curious what else she just signed for and didn't actually review (quite alot actually.)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I've seen this in the civilian world. I think its purpose is to self-identify strengths, and weaknesses.
    Kind of like when you're a teenager slaving over the deep fryer at McDonald's, your parents take your money and tell you that it's to "teach you responsibility" - when they've been blowing that money on beer cigarettes, instead of setting it aside to be used for you later.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

My case, I did have them start their evals. But then, I also used it as an opportunity to teach them how to write these items.

When it comes to awards recommendations, that was different. I would have the supervisor write it and then review it with them, if need be talking with the Sailor to see what they actually did.

The toughest I did was work on my Navy Comm recommendation and having to leave no "white space" in the write-up. I hated that one as I felt I simply did my job and saw no reason to get a decoration for it.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Bosun View Post
    My case, I did have them start their evals. But then, I also used it as an opportunity to teach them how to write these items.

When it comes to awards recommendations, that was different. I would have the supervisor write it and then review it with them, if need be talking with the Sailor to see what they actually did.
    Why weren't you on my DDG?

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Bosun View Post
    The toughest I did was work on my Navy Comm recommendation and having to leave no "white space" in the write-up. I hated that one as I felt I simply did my job and saw no reason to get a decoration for it.
    And I would have probably done the same thing you did, sit down with you ask you some specifics, draft it up and if I had any questions asked you to look at it with me. I have not yet had one of my LCPO's write up their own eval -- if anything I owe it to them to write it for them as pennance for keeping me out of trouble.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stalwart View Post

And I would have probably done the same thing you did, sit down with you ask you some specifics, draft it up and if I had any questions asked you to look at it with me. I have not yet had one of my LCPO's write up their own eval -- if anything I owe it to them to write it for them as pennance for keeping me out of trouble.
    It seems reasonable to me to ask for an input, or what I remember as being called a "brag sheet" which was a form to be submitted to the supervisor for consideration when drafting the performance appraisal. Unfortunately, I started seeing a lot of senior enlisted simply asking their juniors to "go ahead a write yourself up for an end of tour" or whatever which included having them write their own performance evaluation. I tried addressing that with individual supervisors, but it was like talking to a brick wall, not to mention that it would some how get turned around and look like I was the one with the problem (i.e, mind your own business, etc.). I started seeing too many in leadership positions that knew better doing this kind of crap, and it really got to me. Part of what is wrong today and a cause of why seniors wonder why their authority is diminished. A junior has a right to know exactly how their supervisor views their performance and not be asked "Well, how do you think you're doing?" That comes under the part of taking responsibility for your people and standing up for them when warranted and holding them accountable if they don't perform. It isn't hard to figure out when you see so many supervisors negating their duty and responsibilities to their subordinates. I pissed off a lot of people trying to do the right thing, but I don't regret it.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yeah, it just seems lazy. Fill out the input sheet (brag sheet) but the least your immediate supervisor can do is to capture your accomplishments put them on the form and spellcheck it.

I am not saying everyone should get an EP, but I am just kind of surprised at how (as @BURAWSKI said) some people are willing to just hand off their responsibility to others.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stalwart View Post

We were probably different eras, geographic locations, etc. I've been retired for almost 7 years now. I went in during the bad old days of the Carter Administration and spent a good amount of time out of San Diego in the 1980's before going reserve. In fact, my old DDG is sitting under 800 feet of water off Hawai'i after doing time as a test ship after being decommissioned. I got a feeling if we had been at the same place at the same time we may have made a good team.

My take - the more they learned about how this stuff worked, the better prepared they were for the day they had to fill my boots.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

These days, Sailors might find that there's little to no point in writing their own EVALs anyway.

It doesn't matter if the chain of command remembered or forgot what the Sailor did during their evaluation period. The chain of command will have already made up its mind who is getting the EPs and MPs before they even look at anyone's write-ups.

This is why I scoffed at writing my own. At my first command, the OIC even had a policy that was only verbalized to E6 and above in meetings - that no E4 or below will leave the command with a NAM or FLOC. He never said it to our faces, but it eventually leaked and we found out. So when I was told by my LPO to write my own EOT award - knowing full well that it wouldn't result in anything worth advancement points - I took that as an insult to my intelligence, and I was ready to snap... I even told my LPO to her face that I knew about what the OIC said, and that I'm not writing shit (I wasn't mad at HER; she knew that). The realization of the fact that I was almost outta there is helped me keep my cool.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males