Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Evals and awards

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Evals and awards

Nothing wrong with being pay grade terminal, especially as it applies to this specific thread. It was those who were comfortable with being terminal by choice, that made if very simple to "float up" those in a peer group that aspired for increased roles and responsibility. I never pushed boots, pursued off duty education, recruited, etc... but did quite well for myself and more importantly, my Sailors. Very easy to separate those who were doing extra curricular "stuff" simply for an eval bullet, verses those who were having a true impact on the Sailors and the mission. Actually spawns another discussion about CPO 365 and requiring all E-6's to participate - even those that wanted to retire as an E-6. But being just a "recruit" in this forum, I cannot start a new thread and can only chime in on those that are already started.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    This didn't mean that I intended to kick back and ride out the rest of the 20. It simply meant that I wasn't going to do things like... back to back sea duty, recruiting, pushing boots, getting out of rate quals, engaging in the "politicking," taking on a buttload of collateral duties, coaching Pee Wee football, etc to make Chief.
    This. A thousand times this.

I will not let myself become one of those First Classes that can't wipe their butt without running it through the "Is this gonna help me make Chief?" filter. I'm not screw my command, the mission, or my fellow sailors over because I'm more concerned with getting all the "Checks in the box."

I'm the guy holding down the shop, maintaining the equipment, taking care of junior sailors, and keeping an eye on the mission while the bulk of my fellow 1sts are out doing yet another bake sell or organizing Spanish Lesbian Midget Heritage Month and getting face time with the Chief's Mess.

If that means I'm not "Chief Material" so be it. I can live with that.
    Never has a more accurate view of the world been advanced in human history then by that person whom decided to name a group of Navy Chiefs a Mess.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Exactly. I really think that the Navy needs to overhaul the system. I'm a firm believer that one should do their job well, and the advancement should follow. But the system has First Classes working it the other way around - worrying about making Chief first, THEN doing their jobs.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    Uh... yeah?

This didn't mean that I intended to kick back and ride out the rest of the 20. It simply meant that I wasn't going to do things like... back to back sea duty, recruiting, pushing boots, getting out of rate quals, engaging in the "politicking," taking on a buttload of collateral duties, coaching Pee Wee football, etc to make Chief.

Had I stayed and made it, great. But... I've seen far too many people do all kinds of crap to make Chief... burning themselves out, and even estranging themselves from their families... and they STILL retire as a First Class. If I can retire as a First Class without having to do all of that, then you bet your ass that's what I'd rather do.

And for those who've done all that, and were actually able to make Chief? If they felt it was worth it, good for them. To me, it wouldn't be.
    That's what got me into my "content to retire as a first class too. I saw 3 of my compadres all burn themselves out trying to make chief, and 2 were Not even hitting board elegibility when taking the tests.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    That's what got me into my "content to retire as a first class too. I saw 3 of my compadres all burn themselves out trying to make chief, and 2 were Not even hitting board elegibility when taking the tests.
    It's understandable to have that thought process. From my perspective as well, I saw most of the senior enlisted advance not by what they did in their job, but what they excelled at outside of their job, including collateral duties, other out of rate qualifications, etc. The only communities I didn't see a lot of that happening in was the Nuclear Power Program and the Submarine Communities.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Exactly.. Not only did they have to be great at their work, but also everything else/

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Well, actually in a lot of cases I saw were those who were not so great at their work because they were so busy working on their other agenda of getting promoted, and as a result their main job responsibilities got neglected, although covered up fairly well I might add.