Thread: The new walk test....huh?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The new walk test....huh?

Just not understanding this...what are they thinking?

First off...the times. For my age...2km (that's 1.25 miles) at under 16:27. Now for a walk test, that's a pretty fast pace.

For a healthy person.

Why are most people put on a walk test to begin with? Because there is something wrong with them.

So what's the point here? You took out heart rate and now it's solely a pass/fail (no points) with a set time limit. People are put on the walk test because they usually have an injury that prevents a run, and now you want them to power walk this thing and whiz around the track five times instead of six for a run.

Why not just be a little less obvious in saying "Get out of the Air Force"?

Go walk a lap in 3:15 healthy and then wonder how someone with a bum knee, bad back is going to do this five times.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: The new walk test....huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Drackore View Post

First off...the times. For my age...2km (that's 1.25 miles) at under 16:27. Now for a walk test, that's a pretty fast pace.

For a healthy person.

Why are most people put on a walk test to begin with? Because there is something wrong with them.

So what's the point here? You took out heart rate and now it's solely a pass/fail (no points) with a set time limit. People are put on the walk test because they usually have an injury that prevents a run, and now you want them to power walk this thing and whiz around the track five times instead of six for a run.

Go walk a lap in 3:15 healthy and then wonder how someone with a bum knee, bad back is going to do this five times.
    Did you see my post about this test? It's not going to be easy to pass...it's no stroll in the park. People are going to be in for a shock on this one. But, never fear...if you can't run, then chances are you can't walk either so you will most likely be exempt from both tests anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drackore View Post

For a healthy person.

Sounds a lot like the "walk" that Reservists used to do...friggin brutal-I for one would rather run.
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pullinteeth View Post
    Sounds a lot like the "walk" that Reservists used to do...friggin brutal-I for one would rather run.
    The day after I read this I went and walked it. Granted, I'm tall, so have a long stride - but did it right at 15:30. Heart rate would have failed me on the old test. I'm pleased that all I have to do is go walk fast without worrying about some mysterious equation.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GuamKelly View Post
    The day after I read this I went and walked it. Granted, I'm tall, so have a long stride - but did it right at 15:30. Heart rate would have failed me on the old test. I'm pleased that all I have to do is go walk fast without worrying about some mysterious equation.
    +1. I'm anxious enough about the test without having a heart monitor strapped to me and a magic equation used to determine my score. The old walk test terrified me for that reason. Luckily for me I never had to take it.
    Newton's First Law of Motion