Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rather Than Censor, Why Don't We Just move Especially Trollish Posts here?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Rather Than Censor, Why Don't We Just move Especially Trollish Posts here?

So the most interesting thread to be seen here in a while was closed? Color me surprised.

How about we take care of the users that misbehave and not punish everyone?

Oh, and my definition of "misbehave" is not posting off-topic. Some great conversations have happened from threads that evolved.

In my best moderator voice, "But that is not allowed. Return to topic. If you want to discuss that, start a new thread. You can't do it in here, because I said so. And go eat your green beans and take out the trash."

Personally, I think the moderators should have less opinion on the content of a thread, but more on the content of the poster. You let certain users call names, make inflammatory comments towards others, but oh no, "an opinion off the original topic??? This must be stopped"!

Just my 2 cents.
    Advice from JD2780:

"don't post angry"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    I will play around with some of the controls some more, I may have missed something.

Trust me, I enjoyed the first 22 or 23 pages of that thread, and as @UncaRastus said, some warnings we're put out and even in the thread.
    I saw it as well, I'd envision a scenario where someone throws out "racist" or something similar suddenly finds their post has magically been transported under a new, slightly more shameful topic header. If their counterpart wishes to continue that line of discussion they are free to do so under the limitations of the TOS. If and when the subject content does cross the line you would be able to respond in kind and shut down that thread which to begin with was already created under dubious circumstances.

Meanwhile, the remainder who preferred the civil, intelligent conversation of the original thread would possibly even be oblivious towards whether any actual trolling occurred, and be able to continue in the discussions we were actively engaged with unhindered.
    "The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." ~ Thomas Jefferson

It will be of little avail to the people that the laws are made by men of their own choice if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be read, or so incoherent that they cannot be understood.
    James Madison

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Blog Entries

AJ,

What you say does have some value. However, the posters that got their postings removed would just jump back in at some wee hour of the morning, and complain about how they are being treated meanly.

This is a never ending wrestling match.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UncaRastus View Post
    AJ,

What you say does have some value. However, the posters that got their postings removed would just jump back in at some wee hour of the morning, and complain about how they are being treated meanly.

I sympathize your situation, and don't envy the position you're put into here. I've had to dole out disciplinary action both as a father and a leader in the military, it is generally not very well-received by the recipients. I just remind myself though, they took the actions that brought on the consequences, it's not just me doing it to be mean. If the recipients here do likewise, so be it, this site will never satisfy everyone. I would encourage you as moderators taking actions to be conscientious of the collateral effects those actions might have though, and I'm not saying you're not already, but it already appears from that other thread I created that I am not alone in being unhappy with the shutdown of the Entitlements thread in such a fashion. If there is an alternative way to both corral the trolls while allowing the good stuff to continue I highly recommend we employ that.
    "The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." ~ Thomas Jefferson

It will be of little avail to the people that the laws are made by men of their own choice if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be read, or so incoherent that they cannot be understood.
    James Madison

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UncaRastus View Post
    AJ,

No it's not. What ends it is the mods showing some common sense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I went back and looked and see that the previous Admin/Mod closed threads that got into the same level of irrelivence, name calling / attacking etc. After posting a warning in the thread the thread continued to disolve. I closed the thread and then took some time to look at the posts, issue warnings & infractions to those that took it down the path it went and have merged it with the replacement thread and reopened it.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I went back and looked and see that the previous Admin/Mod closed threads that got into the same level of irrelivence, name calling / attacking etc. After posting a warning in the thread the thread continued to disolve. I closed the thread and then took some time to look at the posts, issue warnings & infractions to those that took it down the path it went and have merged it with the replacement thread and reopened it.
    That all makes sense from my perspective, I think if you can make the "penalty box" idea work, it might circumvent a lot of the unintended consequences of disciplinary action, if site mechanics allow such a thing.

James Madison

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

True enough.

Part of me likes it in lieu of warnings / infractions, but I also prefer to scold in private, until that doesn't work then I get a bit more vocal or public.

Part of me does like the warning / infraction system, since I can go back and look at what someone has received warnings / infractions for over long periods of time and while I can use the Moderator Control Panel to look at deleted or the original versions of edited posts, the infraction system saves time. In military speak, I would almost compare it to a formal counseling, making a record of a warning, so I have something to refer back to if needed.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

True enough.

Part of me likes it in lieu of warnings / infractions, but I also prefer to scold in private, until that doesn't work then I get a bit more vocal or public.

Part of me does like the warning / infraction system, since I can go back and look at what someone has received warnings / infractions for over long periods of time and while I can use the Moderator Control Panel to look at deleted or the original versions of edited posts, the infraction system saves time. In military speak, I would almost compare it to a formal counseling, making a record of a warning, so I have something to refer back to if needed.
    All of the above I think have a certain value. I tend to work a lot with Navy Damage Control, in that field at least, and force protection I believe as well, where there just isn't a good opportunity to deal with things privately and for the persons and everyone's safety you have to correct the deficiency publicly. Which isn't to say safety is really an issue on a website, but sometimes it really will take a little more public of an acostment to get a troll's attention. If the person sees their posts get moved somewhere, it will imply the content is already borderline, no further words need be spoken if the individual is semi-intelligent.

James Madison