Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I stand corrected - Walk test is legit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I stand corrected - Walk test is legit

Okay...I know I have ranted on this forum about the walk test and how silly it is, but let me tell you this...this new version is going to be tough to pass.

I think I am in excellent shape, after all, the Air Force says I am. I have never scored less than an excellent on any of my test going back to my first one in 2004. I have also never tested with an exempted component...so I have ran every test and completed the pushups and situps every time. I have a few 100's in my records, but as I have grown older, my scores have begun to settle in the low 90's. I run the 1.5 mile distance on average at 11 mins.

I got bored today and thought why not go for a walk. While walking, I got to thinking about how long it would take to walk 2 kilometers, the distance for this new test. So, I walked over to the track, got out my iphone and began timing my walk. According to the AFI, I must walk 5 laps to complete the distance requirement of the walk test. I thought to myself, this will be easy.

So I set out to walk at a pace that I considered to be a "purposeful" walking pace. Not brisk, not relaxed, somewhere in between...sort of a comfortable hurried pace. Here's how I fared.

Lap 1: 4min 28sec
    Lap 2: 4:26
    Lap 3: 4:24
    Lap 4: 4:17
    Lap 5: 4:16

Total Time: 21:53

According to the walk test chart, I should have finished this in 16:18. I wasn't even close.

So I thought, let me walk at one of those weird looking walk paces where you shuffle your arms back and forth and move at a very brisk pace...Here's how that went:

Lap 1: 3:34
    Lap 2: 3:31

By this lap, I felt my heart rate increasing and I began to feel very uncomfortable...I was at a pace were I wanted to start jogging because walking at this speed didn't feel right. If I kept walking at this rate, I estimate I would have finished at somewhere around 17 mins...which is still a fail.

Okay Air Force Leadership...you win this one. This test is legit. Good luck to all you walkers out there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: I stand corrected - Walk test is legit

Quote Originally Posted by StandardsAMust View Post
    Okay...I know I have ranted on this forum about the walk test and how silly it is, but let me tell you this...this new version is going to be tough to pass.

Words, blah blah....

Okay Air Force Leadership...you win this one. This test is legit. Good luck to all you walkers out there.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I think I am in excellent shape, after all, the Air Force says I am.
    I smiled when I read that.
    When things go wrong in your command, start searching for the reason in increasingly larger concentric circles around your own desk.
    -GEN Bruce C. Clarke

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tak View Post
    Does the AFI say you have to "walk" on 2 legs or 4?
    I did my walk tests on three legs...

Seriously, for those that will be taking the walk test, you do have to train for the walk test. One of the keys is how to swing your arms...use the "rock-em sock-em robots" technique. It makes a big difference
    "Never force a fart in Djibouti"..."Always marry your second wife first"..."If anyone says that you're not a team player, maybe they're on the wrong team"..."You can gold plate a turd and it's still a turd"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I usually did the walk test when I was in because I wasn't into running but I always walked briskly. I used to tell people it was harder to do the walk than the run and I still hold to that. Even today, at age 63, I still take 3 - 4 mile brisk walks and can easily do 16-minute miles.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

I think I am in excellent shape, after all, the Air Force says I am. I have never scored less than an excellent on any of my test going back to my first one in 2004. I have also never tested with an exempted component...so I have ran every test and completed the pushups and situps every time. I have a few 100's in my records, but as I have grown older, my scores have begun to settle in the low 90's. I run the 1.5 mile distance on average at 11 mins.

I got bored today and thought why not go for a walk. While walking, I got to thinking about how long it would take to walk 2 kilometers, the distance for this new test. So, I walked over to the track, got out my iphone and began timing my walk. According to the AFI, I must walk 5 laps to complete the distance requirement of the walk test. I thought to myself, this will be easy.

So I set out to walk at a pace that I considered to be a "purposeful" walking pace. Not brisk, not relaxed, somewhere in between...sort of a comfortable hurried pace. Here's how I fared.

Lap 1: 4min 28sec
    Lap 2: 4:26
    Lap 3: 4:24
    Lap 4: 4:17
    Lap 5: 4:16

Total Time: 21:53

According to the walk test chart, I should have finished this in 16:18. I wasn't even close.

So I thought, let me walk at one of those weird looking walk paces where you shuffle your arms back and forth and move at a very brisk pace...Here's how that went:

Lap 1: 3:34
    Lap 2: 3:31

By this lap, I felt my heart rate increasing and I began to feel very uncomfortable...I was at a pace were I wanted to start jogging because walking at this speed didn't feel right. If I kept walking at this rate, I estimate I would have finished at somewhere around 17 mins...which is still a fail.

Glad it has your stamp of approval. It must be valid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I did it the other day in 15:30, but have been power walking regularly (I'm 59, finishing last year in USAFR before HYT - these old knees don't want to run any more). Heart rate was 160+, so I'd have flunked on that if they were still checking it. This was as fast as I could do it -- don't take it lightly if you don't regularly power walk. Train for it like you would train to run.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    Glad it has your stamp of approval. It must be valid.
    I'm 59 years old, will age out of USAFR next year. I power walk several miles, several times a week. I did the 2K the other day in 15:29. That was working hard, boys and girls, heart rate at 160+. If you're going to do the walk, train for it, just as you would train to run.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GuamKelly View Post
    I'm 59 years old, will age out of USAFR next year. I power walk several miles, several times a week. I did the 2K the other day in 15:29. That was working hard, boys and girls, heart rate at 160+. If you're going to do the walk, train for it, just as you would train to run.
    160+ heart rate? Don't die, man. It's not worth it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No worries. I can do that for a little while at a time. Say, 15 and a 1/2 minutes. Can't say I'll be sad about taking my LAST PT Test in March, though.