Thread: I went onto a major military installation last week for the first time in 3 yrs.....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I went onto a major military installation last week for the first time in 3 yrs.....

it was weird. First time I've been since since retiring in July2010. Couple of things I noted that were different:

1. Quite a few overgrown grassy areas....BIG departure from when I was active in 2010.

2. Saw soldiers outside in 3 different areas mowing lawn.....obviously on weekend CQ. Haven't seen a soldier mow lawn since about 1994.

3. Went in to get a new decal for vehicle NO civilians working, all soldiers. Used to be exact opposite. Civilians ran this office.

4. Same thing with gate. No security guards,all soldiers and NCOs.

Guess the budget cuts to the Army are real

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: I went onto a major military installation last week for the first time in 3 yrs.

:spy "Thank God 'FatCat40'there is still an real American military base left open and operating in our America; did they display tanks/trucks/jeeps look seviced,cleaned ready for displayed parade duty?I know years ago new solders would be assigned old vehicles to be maintained for there extra duty in better then new condition and they were tooth brush quality clean!! I know from Graft/Vilseck many are being sent back from Europe in battle experience condition/repair ready to engage in combat on display mode; waiting to come home again on a victory ship since 1945-6. This was an honor duty and was not taken lightly back the most being from a honor or presidential unit awarded vehicle."