Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AFI36-2905 21 OCTOBER 2013

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

AFI36-2905 21 OCTOBER 2013

Got the updated AFI, implementation date effective 21 Oct 13, and noticed it has finally been updated, no more guidance memorandums. Here are the updates:

SUMMARY OF CHANGES
    This publication has been substantially revised and must be completely reviewed. The summary of changes include requiring those members who score 90 or above on their Fitness Assessment (FA) and test in all four components to only test once a year; made Airmen responsible for maintaining currency; added component exemptions; deleted fitness patches; standardized number of failures for discharge recommendation, established a Fitness Assessment Cell (FAC) to centralize and standardize the administration of FAs; set biannual testing requirements for RegAF, NGB (Title 10/Statutory Tour), and AFR members; revised component weighting and scoring based on health-fitness hierarchy; established requirements to score a composite 75 and meet the minimum component value for each component to earn a passing fitness assessment score; made any score below the minimum component value for each component read zero; provided targets in each component; set an Altitude Time Correction for the aerobic component (1.5 mile run and 2.0 kilometer walk) for installations at 5,250 feet above sea level and greater; amended the walk-test; added a body mass index (BMI) screen and body fat assessment (BFA) for those Airmen who fail the abdominal circumference measurement but pass all three other components with a score of 75 points out of the remaining 80 points; and Air Force Fitness Program appeal requests will now be initially reviewed and approved or denied by the Wing Commander or equivalent.

Some of that summary talks about things that have been added/changed since 2010...so, here are the actual updates from the last revision late last year:

1.0 mile walk converts to a 2.0 km walk. Yep, changed to a metric length for some reason. This is a pass/fail assessment. Member must walk in 16:16 for males under 30, 16:18 for 30-39, 16:23 for 40-49. Females get about a minute longer.

If you test on the 2km walk, you will have to test every six months regardless of overall score. It is now considered an exempted component. If they pass the walk time, the member will be marked "exempt" in the cardio block. If they fail, then they fail the whole test.

There are two types of Physical Training Leaders (PTLs) PTL-A and PTL-B. Unit Fitness Program Managers (UFPMs) must be PTL-B certified. PTL-A is the "advanced" PTL and has special powers...like leading unit PT sessions.

OSI agents can were civilian clothing during their test (now we can know who they are), all other members must wear the PT uniform.

"2.31.7. Will wear the Air Force PT uniform to complete all components of the FA IAW AFI 36-2903, Dress and Personal Appearance of Air Force Personnel. NOTE: Due to operational requirements AFOSI special agents are authorized to complete official fitness assessments without meeting dress and appearance requirements as outlined in AFI 36-2903 , but must be capable of providing documentation to confirm grooming waiver is in effect. AFOSI agents in this status may wear suitable civilian PT clothing during testing."

Members who PCS have to test if their current test expires before their Report No Later Than Date (RNLTD) + 42 days.

Use of the AF Form 4446 is mandatory. Locally produced scorecards cannot be used.

"If an Airman fails the abdominal circumference measurement of the Fitness Assessment (FA) yet takes and passes the other three components with a composite score of at least 75 points of the remaining 80 points, the FAC will administer the DoD prescribed Body Mass Index (BMI) screen." This means a member must almost max the run, push-ups and sit-ups and also have a waist measurement larger than 39". (I'd like to meet this guy.)

Back to the walk test. Attachment 9 still shows medication that affects HR for individuals taking the walk test. Since HR isn’t a factor for the test, not sure why that attachment is valid anymore.

Members testing A/C only just need to meet the minimums to pass...39" for males, 35.5" for females.

The AFI expanded from 119 pages to 145 for this revision.

http://www.afpc.af.mil/shared/media/...131018-072.pdf

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Re: AFI36-2905 21 OCTOBER 2013

Quote Originally Posted by StandardsAMust View Post
    Got the updated AFI, implementation date effective 21 Oct 13, and noticed it has finally been updated, no more guidance memorandums. Here are the updates:

SUMMARY OF CHANGES
    This publication has been substantially revised and must be completely reviewed. The summary of changes include requiring those members who score 90 or above on their Fitness Assessment (FA) and test in all four components to only test once a year; made Airmen responsible for maintaining currency; added component exemptions; deleted fitness patches; standardized number of failures for discharge recommendation, established a Fitness Assessment Cell (FAC) to centralize and standardize the administration of FAs; set biannual testing requirements for RegAF, NGB (Title 10/Statutory Tour), and AFR members; revised component weighting and scoring based on health-fitness hierarchy; established requirements to score a composite 75 and meet the minimum component value for each component to earn a passing fitness assessment score; made any score below the minimum component value for each component read zero; provided targets in each component; set an Altitude Time Correction for the aerobic component (1.5 mile run and 2.0 kilometer walk) for installations at 5,250 feet above sea level and greater; amended the walk-test; added a body mass index (BMI) screen and body fat assessment (BFA) for those Airmen who fail the abdominal circumference measurement but pass all three other components with a score of 75 points out of the remaining 80 points; and Air Force Fitness Program appeal requests will now be initially reviewed and approved or denied by the Wing Commander or equivalent.

Some of that summary talks about things that have been added/changed since 2010...so, here are the actual updates from the last revision late last year:

1.0 mile walk converts to a 2.0 km walk. Yep, changed to a metric length for some reason. This is a pass/fail assessment. Member must walk in 16:16 for males under 30, 16:18 for 30-39, 16:23 for 40-49. Females get about a minute longer.

If you test on the 2km walk, you will have to test every six months regardless of overall score. It is now considered an exempted component. If they pass the walk time, the member will be marked "exempt" in the cardio block. If they fail, then they fail the whole test.

There are two types of Physical Training Leaders (PTLs) PTL-A and PTL B. Unit Fitness Program Managers (UFPMs) must be PTL-B certified. PTL-A is the "advanced" PTL and has special powers...like leading unit PT sessions.

OSI agents can were civilian clothing during their test (now we can know who they are), all other members must wear the PT uniform.
    "2.31.7. Will wear the Air Force PT uniform to complete all components of the FA IAW AFI 36-2903, Dress and Personal Appearance of Air Force Personnel. NOTE: Due to operational requirements AFOSI special agents are authorized to complete official fitness assessments without meeting dress and appearance requirements as outlined in AFI 36-2903 , but must be capable of providing documentation to confirm grooming waiver is in effect. AFOSI agents in this status may wear suitable civilian PT clothing during testing."

Members who PCS have to test if their current test expires before their Report No Later Than Date (RNLTD) + 42 days.

Use of the AF Form 4446 is mandatory. Locally produced scorecards cannot be used.

"If an Airman fails the abdominal circumference measurement of the Fitness Assessment (FA) yet takes and passes the other three components with a composite score of at least 75 points of the remaining 80 points, the FAC will administer the DoD prescribed Body Mass Index (BMI) screen." This means a member must almost max the run, push-ups and sit-ups and also have a waist measurement larger than 39". (I'd like to meet this guy.)

Back to the walk test. Attachment 9 still shows medication that affects HR for individuals taking the walk test. Since HR isn’t a factor for the test, not sure why that attachment is valid anymore.

Members testing A/C only just need to meet the minimums to pass...39" for males, 35.5" for females.

The AFI expanded from 119 pages to 145 for this revision.
    The OSI one is funny. I think their big deal is not telling anyone what rank they are. In the CONUS it isn't exactly a big secret who works at OSI (at least in the actual building). They definitly use the masked rank on their ID cards though. They would look kind of funny out there running in civilian clothing. Maybe they don't own any AF PT gear though. If you were authorized to wear civilians clothing all the time why would you ever wear that ridiculous AF gear.

As far as 39 inch waist guy who can still max pushups, situps, and run I think he is out there. The only problem is I do not think he would pass the BMI anyways. Take for example Manti Te'o (NFL Player). Last year at the NFl scouting combine he ran a 4.8 40 yard dash. He is 73 inches tall and 241 pounds. I doubt he would have a problem with push up sit ups or the run time but I'm guessing his waist is not less than 39".

If you calculate his BMI at 73" and 241 he gets a score of 33.1 which classifies him as obese.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SomeRandomGuy View Post
    The OSI one is funny. I think their big deal is not telling anyone what rank they are. In the CONUS it isn't exactly a big secret who works at OSI (at least in the actual building). They definitly use the masked rank on their ID cards though. They would look kind of funny out there running in civilian clothing. Maybe they don't own any AF PT gear though. If you were authorized to wear civilians clothing all the time why would you ever wear that ridiculous AF gear.

As far as 39 inch waist guy who can still max pushups, situps, and run I think he is out there. The only problem is I do not think he would pass the BMI anyways. Take for example Manti Te'o (NFL Player). Last year at the NFl scouting combine he ran a 4.8 40 yard dash. He is 73 inches tall and 241 pounds. I doubt he would have a problem with push up sit ups or the run time but I'm guessing his waist is not less than 39".

If you calculate his BMI at 73" and 241 he gets a score of 33.1 which classifies him as obese.

Looking at that photo...his waist does not exceed 39".

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

So I test tomorrow on two components. situps and waist. I for sure am good on my waist...and sit ups are over the minimum unless something crazy happens. I need 45 to max and 30 is my minimum... I do 44 most days starting the timer on myself. Hoping I pass.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Insert clever quote here...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Looking at that photo...his waist does not exceed 39".
    I can't really tell. I found several articles on the internet saying more than 50% of NFL players are Obese according to BMI. What I couldn't find though was anywhere that lists waist measurements for NFL players. I still think his waist is more than 39" based on the fact that he is 6'1 240. It would be tough for his body to support that weight if he doesn't have a "wide body" With that being said I do not think anyone struggling with PT in the Air Force is an NFL caliber athlete. Your original point still stands that this person may not exist in the AF (though they most definitly exist somewhere).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I can't really tell. I found several articles on the internet saying more than 50% of NFL players are Obese according to BMI. What I couldn't find though was anywhere that lists waist measurements for NFL players. I still think his waist is more than 39" based on the fact that he is 6'1 240. It would be tough for his body to support that weight if he doesn't have a "wide body" With that being said I do not think anyone struggling with PT in the Air Force is an NFL caliber athlete. Your original point still stands that this person may not exist in the AF (though they most definitly exist somewhere).
    I've seen many people bigger than him with waist sizes less than 39" in the Air Force.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've seen many people bigger than him with waist sizes less than 39" in the Air Force.
    Of course you have. Because it supports your Internet argument.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Not to dispute your theory, but I was 240lbs last year before I deployed and my waist was 36", and that was after being taped by 3 different PTLs over the course of 3 different "mock" PT tests prior to my departure.

Also, I'm just barely 6'2". Sorry, I should have included that.
    Do you know the difference between education and experience? Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't. -Pete Seeger

Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. -Arnold Palmer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Actually if you read it, it seems like the intent is for them to not have to shave and get a haircut just to test and the uniform seems like an afterthough to prevent them from looking like idiots with a beard and braids testing in PT gear.
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pullinteeth View Post
    Actually if you read it, it seems like the intent is for them to not have to shave and get a haircut just to test and the uniform seems like an afterthough to prevent them from looking like idiots with a beard and braids testing in PT gear.
    Makes sense...

When living in a military community, if I go to a bar/club, I always look for the guy who doesn't look like he's in the military. He's the OSI guy. Sticks out like a sore thumb.