Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 89

Thread: abandoning your built in fan base in search of wider target audience alway fails

  1. #61
    Senior Member 20+Years's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Central Canada
    Posts
    512
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: abandoning your built in fan base in search of wider target audience alway fails

    There is some truth to the OPs claim. We used to be able to come in here, go to the Air Force section and all the "happening" threads were right on top. Since the change, I can tell you that I don't bother "looking around" (aka. searching, aka. go and find, aka. butt pain) to see whats going on. I'm not going to search for wherever a mod moved a post that I didn't know existed. If its not one of the recent posts under "Whats new", I guess I will just miss out.
    Advice from JD2780:

    "don't post angry"

  2. #62
    Senior Member TJMAC77SP's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    3,156
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

    Re: abandoning your built in fan base in search of wider target audience alway fails

    Quote Originally Posted by 20+Years View Post
    There is some truth to the OPs claim. We used to be able to come in here, go to the Air Force section and all the "happening" threads were right on top. Since the change, I can tell you that I don't bother "looking around" (aka. searching, aka. go and find, aka. butt pain) to see whats going on. I'm not going to search for wherever a mod moved a post that I didn't know existed. If its not one of the recent posts under "Whats new", I guess I will just miss out.
    I have always viewed the whole "Why's everything in the AF section" as (to quote another poster) whining. Quite frankly anyone who has visited the forum more than once or has visited another forum and then came here probably uses the "New Posts" function so they (like me) don't notice nor give a shyte what section a thread is in. Harping on that is a straw man argument.
    ___________________
    Read carefully, think, then write thoughtfully……………………………..

    I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

  3. #63
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    everywhere
    Posts
    699
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: abandoning your built in fan base in search of wider target audience alway fails

    Quote Originally Posted by TJMAC77SP View Post
    I have always viewed the whole "Why's everything in the AF section" as (to quote another poster) whining. Quite frankly anyone who has visited the forum more than once or has visited another forum and then came here probably uses the "New Posts" function so they (like me) don't notice nor give a shyte what section a thread is in. Harping on that is a straw man argument.
    And yet, it keeps coming up over and over again.

    There are serious discussions to be had about how a forum in moderated. Quite frankly, from what I've seen, the mods have "backed off" quite a bit from August. The most obvious thing they do is moving threads around (which goes back to the "why isn't everything in one section" complaint). Tak is back, RC is back, bans are shorter, people wanted new sections (sports or whatever in off duty), they got them. They don't lock up and deleted threads about moderation (witness this one).

    OK, I'm not aware of everything that goes on in private, but it sure seems like the mods are listening and giving people what they are asking for in a reasonable fashion.

    The things that people seem most obviously upset about, threads/sections that were deleted months ago (which were searched for and apparently are unrecoverable) and the whole "not everything is in one section" thing. Seriously, what do you expect to happen with these sort of things? The mods can't wish data back into existence.

    I realize that some people won't be happy unless the moderators are completely done away with, but that's not going to happen, as far as I can tell.

  4. #64
    Senior Member Silverback's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    106
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: abandoning your built in fan base in search of wider target audience alway fails

    Quote Originally Posted by imnohero View Post
    And yet, it keeps coming up over and over again.

    There are serious discussions to be had about how a forum in moderated. Quite frankly, from what I've seen, the mods have "backed off" quite a bit from August. The most obvious thing they do is moving threads around (which goes back to the "why isn't everything in one section" complaint). Tak is back, RC is back, bans are shorter, people wanted new sections (sports or whatever in off duty), they got them. They don't lock up and deleted threads about moderation (witness this one).

    OK, I'm not aware of everything that goes on in private, but it sure seems like the mods are listening and giving people what they are asking for in a reasonable fashion.

    The things that people seem most obviously upset about, threads/sections that were deleted months ago (which were searched for and apparently are unrecoverable) and the whole "not everything is in one section" thing. Seriously, what do you expect to happen with these sort of things? The mods can't wish data back into existence.

    I realize that some people won't be happy unless the moderators are completely done away with, but that's not going to happen, as far as I can tell.
    I have no problems with the moderators. But isn't there a thread on here somewhere about where the moderators went? Now that that the moderators are present people are complaining about that also. Point is you can't please everybody.

  5. #65
    Senior Member CYBERFX1024's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Pasadena, California
    Posts
    615
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: abandoning your built in fan base in search of wider target audience alway fails

    Quote Originally Posted by imnohero View Post
    You do understand that this is your forum, right?
    Yes I understand that. I see the good and the bad with what the moderators have done. It has helped keep some of the crazies under control.

  6. #66
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Right about.....HERE
    Posts
    1,671
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: abandoning your built in fan base in search of wider target audience alway fails

    Quote Originally Posted by imnohero View Post
    And yet, it keeps coming up over and over again.

    There are serious discussions to be had about how a forum in moderated. Quite frankly, from what I've seen, the mods have "backed off" quite a bit from August. The most obvious thing they do is moving threads around (which goes back to the "why isn't everything in one section" complaint). Tak is back, RC is back, bans are shorter, people wanted new sections (sports or whatever in off duty), they got them. They don't lock up and deleted threads about moderation (witness this one).
    They aren't new...they are a recreation of ones that were deleted by the Forum Administrator(FA). And using one thread remaining of the dozens that were locked and subsequesntly deleted doesn't really prove your point very well....

    Quote Originally Posted by Silverback View Post
    I have no problems with the moderators. But isn't there a thread on here somewhere about where the moderators went? Now that that the moderators are present people are complaining about that also. Point is you can't please everybody.
    It is merely confusion of verbiage. It used to be that the FA was the Moderator (Alice). She did pretty much everything. When she left, it was the Wild West at times. The new FA came in just wiped entire sections-some of which were almost as active as the AF section. It wasn't until a few months ago that there was a separate Moderator. THAT is where the confusion comes from.
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

    --Barak Obama


    You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

    Lord of the Pings

  7. #67
    Administrator Mjölnir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    2,970
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: abandoning your built in fan base in search of wider target audience alway fails

    If there is confusion, I would suggest people read the Community Guidelines, they are pretty basic. I agree that having more than one moderator means that the moderators have to all be on the same page when it comes to how we moderate, something we have gotten better with.

    From my chair, the biggest problem that lingers seems to be that as @Pullinteeth put it, for some time the Forums became something like the Wild West. There have always been rules, guidelines, standards etc. the rules were still there, but were not enforced. Well, now they are. They may be more enforced then when the previous Admin was here, but after nearly 3 months of enforcement of the rules, time is running out on claiming ignorance of the rules as well.

    Moderators were implemented, and at first moderation was a learning curve for users & moderators. For the most part, I think we have found the medium between the Wild West and total lock down. Me personally, for the most part I don't care WHAT you say, but HOW you say it can put you afoul of the Guidelines. Yes, if a user continually disrupts the Forums, that user will be given a warning, if that user keeps going with being disruptive he or she will likely find themselves banned. If you have been on the receiving end of bannings in the past, you probably do get watched to see if you are still being disruptive and you are probably on a 'shorter leash' than someone who has not been banned before.

    Yes, threads will be moved if they are not in the right Forum, learn to use the search bar, the New Activity or the What's New tabs, sorry. Yes, we have started asking people to ID hyperlinks (as per the guidelines) as a means to try to ID if someone hides a link that looks like it goes to AFNEWS.com but actually goes to a site with malware or malicious code, and yes forums and threads were deleted and then some of those deleted were restarted.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

  8. #68
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    everywhere
    Posts
    699
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: abandoning your built in fan base in search of wider target audience alway fails

    Quote Originally Posted by Pullinteeth View Post
    They aren't new...they are a recreation of ones that were deleted by the Forum Administrator(FA).
    OK, they aren't "new"... is your point to argue semantics?

    My point is that the moderators are being responsive to users requests, but certain users (you included) want to keep bitching about what happened in the past. I guess that's your right, but do you think it going to change what happened back then?

  9. #69
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Right about.....HERE
    Posts
    1,671
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: abandoning your built in fan base in search of wider target audience alway fails

    Quote Originally Posted by imnohero View Post
    OK, they aren't "new"... is your point to argue semantics?

    My point is that the moderators are being responsive to users requests, but certain users (you included) want to keep bitching about what happened in the past. I guess that's your right, but do you think it going to change what happened back then?
    No the point is that if the threads hadn't been deleted in the first place, there wouldn't have been any need to recreate them. Giving someone kudos for almost sort-of fixing their fuckups (collective their-I realize for the most part it wasn't the Mods it was the FA) is a bit misguided.

    Nope...can't change the past but I am not going to sing the praises of the Mods for almost kinda sorta fixing debacle caused by the FA. Esp since there are Mods that were doing the same thing (might still be doing it for all I know.

    Not saying they are the devil but I'm not saying they are the second coming of Christ (or even Alice) either. Some are more reasonable than others, some are good, some suck asscock....law of averages I guess.
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

    --Barak Obama


    You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

    Lord of the Pings

  10. #70
    Senior Member BRUWIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,119
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: abandoning your built in fan base in search of wider target audience alway fails

    I don't post much anymore because the mods are nut jobs, they seem to ban the people with much wisdom, and the topics have become so organized that they are borderline disorganized. Whenever I come here now it's almost the same experience as when I go to a library. I go into a library looking for a book...any book...and can't find one despite the thousands of books there. Like a library...this forum has become a confusing place for me. Plus, I am a retiree and these newbees show zero respect. They need to realize that if it wasn't for me they'd be speaking Iraqi right now.

    This is what should be happening:

    1. Fire every Mod. They have sucked all the life out of this forum.

    2. Make Bruwin in charge of screening newbees from every service before they are allowed to post.

    3. Initiate a lawsuit against the fired Mods.

    4. Initiate a Blues Monday for posters...anybody that wants to post needs to provide a picture (with the day's date visible) of them in their blues or other associated uniform of their service.

    5. Anybody with an 80% or less on their PT score can't post until they pass. Retirees will use their last PT score before they retired. Army/Marines needs 99.9% PT scores before they can post.

    6. Develop a forum creed.

    Do these things...and the forum will experience rapid growth and popularity.
    "Respect My Authoritah!" - Eric Cartman

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •