Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 89

Thread: abandoning your built in fan base in search of wider target audience alway fails

  1. #21
    Administrator Mjölnir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    2,953
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: abandoning your built in fan base in search of wider target audience alway fails

    You guys debate all you want, just stay within the Guidelines you agreed to when you joined the Forums, specifically:

    Graphic sexual language and images
    Graphic sexual language and images are not acceptable. Find another site for that. Posts will be removed with posting privileges suspended should your word choice and/or photos become too graphic. Social norms are the accepted guideline here, but as with all things in these forums, we have the final say.

    Hyperlinks
    Including links to informative and helpful sites is part of Internet communication. Choosing to click on a link is your decision. We do not screen links. However, posts may be removed if a hyperlink is not in the following format -- www.wheredoesthislinkgo.com or .org or any number of acceptable addresses. The key here is no hidden agendas. Tell us where the link goes so our members may make informed decisions on whether to click or not. Remember: We do not screen links in posts, but may remove a post if the link is determined to be inappropriate.

    Mild vulgarity
    We don't really mind mild profanity. We've been known to let one fly, ourselves. However, if it becomes excessive or you direct it at another person, that's no good.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

  2. #22
    Banned sandsjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,984
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

    Re: abandoning your built in fan base in search of wider target audience alway fails

    Quote Originally Posted by RobotChicken View Post
    "I will not get baited into a debate with you over our opinions SIR; seeing I have 0 support on this Forum from anyone for anything as recent 'history' has proved. So go and have a peaceful day on me since I did all I could to keep every ones blood pressure down."
    I support you RC...and I'm hurt that you didn't know that.

  3. #23
    Banned sandsjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,984
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

    Re: abandoning your built in fan base in search of wider target audience alway fails

    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    You guys debate all you want, just stay within the Guidelines you agreed to when you joined the Forums, specifically:

    Graphic sexual language and images
    Graphic sexual language and images are not acceptable. Find another site for that. Posts will be removed with posting privileges suspended should your word choice and/or photos become too graphic. Social norms are the accepted guideline here, but as with all things in these forums, we have the final say.

    Hyperlinks
    Including links to informative and helpful sites is part of Internet communication. Choosing to click on a link is your decision. We do not screen links. However, posts may be removed if a hyperlink is not in the following format -- www.wheredoesthislinkgo.com or .org or any number of acceptable addresses. The key here is no hidden agendas. Tell us where the link goes so our members may make informed decisions on whether to click or not. Remember: We do not screen links in posts, but may remove a post if the link is determined to be inappropriate.

    Mild vulgarity
    We don't really mind mild profanity. We've been known to let one fly, ourselves. However, if it becomes excessive or you direct it at another person, that's no good.
    Why is there an issue with profanity? I'm really, really confused about it. Aren't we all adults here?

    Or is this all an issue because this is a "military" forum and "civilians" may get a bad image? I just don't understand. I've tried to figure it out, but am at a total loss. Or is it just a rule because "foul language" is something traditionally frowned upon?

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    759
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: abandoning your built in fan base in search of wider target audience alway fails

    Quote Originally Posted by veritas View Post
    Its Monday morning, just a few months ago the Air Force section alone would have two pages of new topics and hundreds if not thousands of total replies. It was a fun place to come comment, we had a wide variety of users, most were of the comedic variety but when someone needed a real answer to a real question or problem, they were always given good advice.

    Why would this site abandon its followers, throw away it's primary users (yes i know there are two are three who love the new simplistic bore of the forums, I'm not talking to you). It's time to own up to your mistake and admit the new "direction" of the forum was an bad idea, one not thought through or given much consideration to the implications that would follow. The entire forums have now become irrelevant; the forums that just a few months ago we're thriving.

    In the words of Hollywood, this show has jumped the shark, trying to become something it is not, and never will be, and in the process it now has lost everything.

    I doubt the forums would ever be able to recover from the gross mismanagement and idiotic moderating that has become the norm, but if it will ever return to its glory days it's time to stop moving posts, stop censoring posts, stop bending to the whims and whines of the few, let them man up or find a forum that will hurt their delicate un-military feelings.


    What the forums use to be





    What the forums have become

    I put the blame on the PT test. Basically all the people that came here to complain are either retired, separated or adjusted so no reason to come here anymore.
    Antes de que vengas a juzgarme por que escribo el inglés con errores te pregunto: Cuantos idiomas tu hablas?! Solo uno? Y vienes a juzgar mi inteligencia?! Por favor mirate en el espejo y veras en él reflejo la imagen clara de la estupidez...

  5. #25
    Administrator Mjölnir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    2,953
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: abandoning your built in fan base in search of wider target audience alway fails

    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    Why is there an issue with profanity? I'm really, really confused about it. Aren't we all adults here?

    Or is this all an issue because this is a "military" forum and "civilians" may get a bad image? I just don't understand. I've tried to figure it out, but am at a total loss. Or is it just a rule because "foul language" is something traditionally frowned upon?
    In all honesty I don't know the 'why'. I am going to pull a quote of yours from a different thread to address my opinion

    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    The question is why are the rules written as they are? In my opinion, they are the way they are because that's the way most other places do it, so this place falls in line.
    If I had to guess, I would remember that the editors of the Military Times publications used to very regularly pull comments from these Forums for publication & excessive profanity, sexual content etc. would not have gone well for publication without editing that would cloud the message. It may be because as you said "foul language is something traditionally frowned upon." It may be someone copied and pasted the majority of the Guidelines from another Forum. In my opinion just because "we are all adults" doesn't mean the Forums have to be R rated. Even with that being my opinion, I don't care about profanity just don't be excessive or personal.

    The guidelines for a long time got ignored, it stymied conversations, derailed 'legitimate' threads, and actually drove people away (yes, post counts were up, but by the participation of a very small portion of the community). Some don't like going back to a moderated forum and being required to adhere to the Guidelines that they agreed to when they joined. But I never thought I would make everyone happy by being a Moderator anyway. I have recently noticed posts from users who registered and lurked for years with 10 or 20 posts over that time. It may not be a direct result of the changes, but I think it has some part. It is true, new user registration has been disabled since AUG. That is a separate issue.

    For me, if you want things to change, let's talk; I am all ears. If you want to rant & rave, drop a lot of profanity, start threads in the wrong place intentionally to show that I will move it, then go ahead. I'll let you do it unless you cross the line, but I am not likely to pay too much attention to what you say.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

  6. #26
    Senior Member technomage1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Beyond the Rim
    Posts
    979
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Re: abandoning your built in fan base in search of wider target audience alway fails

    I'd like to know several thing about the crackdown. First, why, and why now? The rep wars were long over - and if there was ever a need for mods, it was then. Second, who are the mods? Do they even work for the military times publishing group? Who appointed them? At least with Alice we knew who she was. Third, there is a fine line between modding to keep a forum civil and over modding, which -as we're seeing here - kills the forum. Why the heavyhandedness? Why has nearly every thread remotely critical of the mods or the new system been deleted? What's the goal here?
    Newton's First Law of Motion

  7. #27
    Administrator Mjölnir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    2,953
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: abandoning your built in fan base in search of wider target audience alway fails

    Quote Originally Posted by technomage1 View Post
    Why has nearly every thread remotely critical of the mods or the new system been deleted?
    They have not been deleted, but moved to the "Questions" Forum where issues about the Forum are addressed, they aren't related to the Air Force (even if the person creating the thread is in the Air Force.)

    The largest issue I could gather from the OP was the moving of threads if posted in Forums or sections that they are not related to, which really is a non-issue and something that is common on many moderated Forums.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    759
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: abandoning your built in fan base in search of wider target audience alway fails

    I will venture to take a wild guess about when the Air Force forum will hit the next big wave of traffic. It will have to do with EPR's and a whole lot of people complaining that they got a 3.
    Antes de que vengas a juzgarme por que escribo el inglés con errores te pregunto: Cuantos idiomas tu hablas?! Solo uno? Y vienes a juzgar mi inteligencia?! Por favor mirate en el espejo y veras en él reflejo la imagen clara de la estupidez...

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    everywhere
    Posts
    699
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: abandoning your built in fan base in search of wider target audience alway fails

    Uh, techno...I don't know where you've been for the last 8-9 months, but the so called "Crackdown" started last February, came to a head in June-July with people having spasms and "quitting", and have been going along pretty unpurturbed for the last 2-3 months. Other the occassional thread getting moved here and there, and an occassional nudge from the mods, it's been active and uneventful.

    I have a better question...why does this seem to come up every two months or so?

  10. #30
    Senior Member RobotChicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Williamsburg VA
    Posts
    1,379
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: abandoning your built in fan base in search of wider target audience alway fails

    MOD-'Mjolnir'; Could you give us some real 'posting numbers' by active members in the last 30 days please, excluding FA/ mods ones? New threads that had 100 replies and a 1k views? Thank you. :spy

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •