Thread: Downrange together, learning to put marriage before duty

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Downrange together, learning to put marriage before duty

ADKHVAB-E-SHANEH, Afghanistan — Amanda and Jonathan Dwyer split most of their time between two plywood buildings, working in one and sleeping in the other. They eat meals inside a large canvas tent. Their daily routine almost always includes a short run to the nearest concrete bunker, a hazard of living in a place with the moniker Rocket City....
    http://www.stripes.com/downrange-tog...-duty-1.243789

I guess I am cold-hearted but back when I was in mission was always first. And I definitely wouldn't recommend being deployed with a spouse - could confuse priorities. I guess on the bright side they are desk jockeys and not involved in actual combat where you need to stay focused and alert.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Downrange together, learning to put marriage before duty

I don't personally see harm in it, not sure why this is "news-worthy", but this is Stars & Stripes.
    "The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." ~ Thomas Jefferson

It will be of little avail to the people that the laws are made by men of their own choice if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be read, or so incoherent that they cannot be understood.
    James Madison

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Slow news day?
    "Wrong" is one of those concepts that requires witnesses. Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AJBIGJ View Post
    I don't personally see harm in it, not sure why this is "news-worthy", but this is Stars & Stripes.
    Might check out the "Editor's Note" if you are unsure why it was in the paper....

"Editor's Note: This series examines the mental health of U.S. soldiers in Afghanistan and how they cope with war’s internal burden while deployed. Stories explore the work of psychologists, psychiatrists, social workers and chaplains to reduce the combat-related stress of troops; the efforts of senior officers to balance the needs of soldiers with the demands of the U.S. mission; and the fear of asking for help that still exists within the Army. This series is produced with the support of a Rosalynn Carter Fellowship for Mental Health Journalism."
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pullinteeth View Post
    Might check out the "Editor's Note" if you are unsure why it was in the paper....

"Editor's Note: This series examines the mental health of U.S. soldiers in Afghanistan and how they cope with war’s internal burden while deployed. Stories explore the work of psychologists, psychiatrists, social workers and chaplains to reduce the combat-related stress of troops; the efforts of senior officers to balance the needs of soldiers with the demands of the U.S. mission; and the fear of asking for help that still exists within the Army. This series is produced with the support of a Rosalynn Carter Fellowship for Mental Health Journalism."
    Got that, still agree with the comment that it must be a slow news day!
    "The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." ~ Thomas Jefferson

It will be of little avail to the people that the laws are made by men of their own choice if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be read, or so incoherent that they cannot be understood.
    James Madison

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    When I was in, none of the services let family serve together in the same unit, especially after the Navy lost 5 Brothers (The Sullivan Brothers) on the same ship during World War Two.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Reminds me of when I was a MEPS classifier. Often times, when Little Johnny wants to join the Navy; he'll bring his parents along for the process choosing his job.

Well... in one particular case, Little Johnny was an only child. He dad was there, in all his 300+ lb glory. After we went through the process of picking Little Johnny's job, his asks me to put in his contract annex that, since he's an only child, that he will never be put into harm's way. When I told him that we couldn't do that, they decided (well, Little Johnny's daddy decided) that he wasn't going to join the Navy. We never saw that kid again; so I'm wondering if he ever caved and decided to join another service.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    I've heard of parents trying to do that before as well. Makes you wonder where they get it into their heads, that they feel they can dictate something like that to the recruiters from.