Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sam's Club waives shopping fees for military during government shutdown

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Sam's Club waives shopping fees for military during government shutdown

Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    What confuses me is why the Commissary is shut down? Do they not turn a profit?
    I'm not a mindreader, but it seems that a few of these "shutdowns" seem to be more influenced by a desire to have a voting populace "inconvenienced" by a government shutdown than for actual cost-savings. I might be mistaken in the notion however.
    "The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." ~ Thomas Jefferson

It will be of little avail to the people that the laws are made by men of their own choice if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be read, or so incoherent that they cannot be understood.
    James Madison

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AJBIGJ View Post
    I'm not a mindreader, but it seems that a few of these "shutdowns" seem to be more influenced by a desire to have a voting populace "inconvenienced" by a government shutdown than for actual cost-savings. I might be mistaken in the notion however.
    The commissary is taxpayer subsidized, which is why many lawmakers want to axe them, or at least kill. The subsidies. No way they came turn a profit while offering discounted groceries. Without the discount, no reason for them to exist (stateside).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FLAPS, USAF (ret) View Post
    The commissary is taxpayer subsidized, which is why many lawmakers want to axe them, or at least kill. The subsidies. No way they came turn a profit while offering discounted groceries. Without the discount, no reason for them to exist (stateside).
    True, and so are we on Active Duty in fact, as are health benefits and any number of other "benefits". I just find it ironic and a little suspicious how they're picking and choosing what gets "shutdown" by this process. It may in fact be entirely legitimate based on accounting categories and thousands of pages of confusing legislation. Our pay almost was shut off, that was erased at almost the last possible second. Just a funny distinction the way I see it all.
    "The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." ~ Thomas Jefferson

It will be of little avail to the people that the laws are made by men of their own choice if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be read, or so incoherent that they cannot be understood.
    James Madison

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AJBIGJ View Post
    More likely to get the VA (who is one of the bigger users of commesaries from what i hear) on board against the gop..

I've shopped on base, and off.. and i hear these 'discounted groceries' angle for what the Com does. Now while i admit some goods i have gotten there are cheaper than say walmart, or kroger, others are not. Combined with the "Surcharge" being the same % level as what the local community has for "Sales tax" i'd like to know HOW they are supposedly being discounted..?