Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 28th Amendment

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

28th Amendment

Should Congress remain getting paid when the rest of government workers don't? What are your thoughts about members of Congress being the ones who pass laws that protect their own incomes? Should there be a change/repeal? Would budgets get passed quicker if the people voting on it had some consequence to their actions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: 28th Amendment

Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    Should Congress remain getting paid when the rest of government workers don't? What are your thoughts about members of Congress being the ones who pass laws that protect their own incomes? Should there be a change/repeal? Would budgets get passed quicker if the people voting on it had some consequence to their actions?
    IMO they should get paid. The job of these people is representing the people that elected them and that's what they are doing. You know that I disagree entirely with right wings politics but the reality is that people elected them to do what they are doing. On the left we voted our people in to do what they are doing. If you/me/anyone has a problem with the way their elected representative is handling the situation then the solution is to not vote for him again next time around.
    Antes de que vengas a juzgarme por que escribo el inglés con errores te pregunto: Cuantos idiomas tu hablas?! Solo uno? Y vienes a juzgar mi inteligencia?! Por favor mirate en el espejo y veras en él reflejo la imagen clara de la estupidez...

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch View Post
    IMO they should get paid. The job of these people is representing the people that elected them and that's what they are doing. You know that I disagree entirely with right wings politics but the reality is that people elected them to do what they are doing. On the left we voted our people in to do what they are doing. If you/me/anyone has a problem with the way their elected representative is handling the situation then the solution is to not vote for him again next time around.
    Great point...I guess you could theorize that if they didn't get paid, their decisions could easily be compromised and they may pass something that isn't good for the country just to get a paycheck,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    Great point...I guess you could theorize that if they didn't get paid, their decisions could easily be compromised and they may pass something that isn't good for the country just to get a paycheck,
    Yes.

Not all people in Congress are wealthy people, if we proceed to threaten their paychecks only the wealthy or uberwealthy will run for office. I think Congress should be representative of all the people and what might happen is that we get stuck with a Congress that is only represetative of 1% of the people.
    Antes de que vengas a juzgarme por que escribo el inglés con errores te pregunto: Cuantos idiomas tu hablas?! Solo uno? Y vienes a juzgar mi inteligencia?! Por favor mirate en el espejo y veras en él reflejo la imagen clara de la estupidez...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tak View Post
    I know right. Too late I guess...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think the 28th Amendment should be that if there is no budget then there is no pay for Congress or the President. We have been going 5 years without a budget right now.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CYBERFX1024 View Post
    I think the 28th Amendment should be that if there is no budget then there is no pay for Congress or the President. We have been going 5 years without a budget right now.
    Right, but as Bunch pointed out, these people who can't pass a budget keep getting reelected, which tells them that their constituents support their decisions. The only thing that will fix it is to vote people in who will actually pass a budget.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think if you really think about it as divided as this country is politically is...this is actually good for the country in terms of politics. People are getting what they wanted, they feel they are being represented. I don't buy into this whole thing that Congress has an approval rating of 10% but then the same people keep getting reelected. This is truly democracy in action and is a cycle that sooner or later will come to pass.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CYBERFX1024 View Post
    Which is something i recommended we get put into law in the other shutdown thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

As much as I hate to say it, they should get paid because they're working just like the military and "excepted" civilians are being paid still based on House Resolution 3210 that was signed by POTUS last night.

My issue is that they've made themselves exempt from the Affordable Healthcare Act. That would be a blatant violation of the 28th Amendment if it actually existed. Make them all subject to it and see how quickly it goes away.