Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 28th Amendment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: 28th Amendment

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch View Post
    I think if you really think about it as divided as this country is politically is...this is actually good for the country in terms of politics. People are getting what they wanted, they feel they are being represented. I don't buy into this whole thing that Congress has an approval rating of 10% but then the same people keep getting reelected. This is truly democracy in action and is a cycle that sooner or later will come to pass.
    People re-elect their people because they think it is everyone else that is blind in the voting booth... But no, it isn't democracy in action...it is a Representative democracy in action. If it were truly democracy in action, we would all be voting....
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Paid, yes, fired subsequently, probably
    "The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." ~ Thomas Jefferson

It will be of little avail to the people that the laws are made by men of their own choice if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be read, or so incoherent that they cannot be understood.
    James Madison

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Na.. public hangings! Go all french revolution on them!:saevilw:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The 27th Amendment only stops the Congress from changing their pay rate until they have passed the bill that is signed by the President, and a Congressional Election takes place. Once they have the Voter’s approval, THEN the change goes into effect.

Prior to the 1970s, Congress only got paid when they were in session, and they were extremely poorly paid, which is why most of them had Day Jobs.

The problem with that was the fact that lots of them had Day Jobs with employers who received the largess of Congress as a result of legislation that Congress passed. This was changed in the 1970s when such employment was deemed illegal.

There is nothing that would prevent the Congress from going back on “Session Pay”, except that they would also have to change the rule so that Congress would have to publish the information on the jobs the Congressmen would have to take in order to keep them from getting paid by the Employers for passing legislation they approve of.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CORNELIUSSEON View Post
    The 27th Amendment only stops the Congress from changing their pay rate until they have passed the bill that is signed by the President, and a Congressional Election takes place. Once they have the Voter’s approval, THEN the change goes into effect.

Prior to the 1970s, Congress only got paid when they were in session, and they were extremely poorly paid, which is why most of them had Day Jobs.

The problem with that was the fact that lots of them had Day Jobs with employers who received the largess of Congress as a result of legislation that Congress passed. This was changed in the 1970s when such employment was deemed illegal.

There is nothing that would prevent the Congress from going back on “Session Pay”, except that they would also have to change the rule so that Congress would have to publish the information on the jobs the Congressmen would have to take in order to keep them from getting paid by the Employers for passing legislation they approve of.
    Corny, Suggest you go back and read the thread. Start with the title. It is about a proposed 28th amendment not the 27th. I didn't even see the 27th amendment mentioned.

Thanks for the Google history lesson though.

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TJMAC77SP View Post
    Corny, Suggest you go back and read the thread. Start with the title. It is about a proposed 28th amendment not the 27th. I didn't even see the 27th amendment mentioned.

Thanks for the Google history lesson though.
    You're going with Google? I'd say it's Wikipedia, at best.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    You're going with Google? I'd say it's Wikipedia, at best.
    Right, google leads to wiki (which is usually what is cut and pasted)

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It would be the purpose of the 28th Amendment to amend the 27th Amendment by adding the language of the 28th to the language of the 27th. As to my sources, I started by reading the actual 27th Amendment to refresh my memory as to what it said, which led to my understanding that the proposed 28th would be an amendment to the 27th. Once I understood that, I used Google to refresh my mind on what the pay circumstances were before the current system was put into play, and then realized that not only is an Amendment to the 27th necessary, but that an amendment to the actual constitution was unnecessary because the original pay system ("Session Pay) was not necessary to restore because an amendment to the 27th would suffice since that amendment is the one that set the Congressional Pay system in stone. So, most of what I wrote is original with me, with references to the 27th and the circumstances of the original system reworded from Google.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Health

Malware Link Removed
    Last edited by Mjölnir; 01-11-2016 at 08:41 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Malware Link Removed
    Last edited by Mjölnir; 01-11-2016 at 08:42 PM.