Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Updated guidance finally released

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Updated guidance finally released

Here's what will take effect on 1 Oct 13 (talk about a complicated mess):

If an Airman fails the abdominal circumference measurement of the Fitness Assessment (FA) and passes the other three components with a composite score of 75 of the remaining 80 points, the FAC will administer the DoD prescribed Body Mass Index (BMI) screen
    An Airman (both male and female) shall not exceed the maximum BMI of 25 in order to pass the body composition component
    Chart below shows the maximum allowed weight, regardless of age and gender, that gives you a BMI of 25

If an Airman fails the BMI screen (BMI ≥ 25.1), then he or she will receive an additional Body Fat Assessment (BFA) (2 or 3 site taping)
    Maximum body fat percentage of 18% for males and 26% for females
    Measurements will be administered after the other 3 components are completed
    Height must be measured without shoes to provide an accurate measurement

Each installation will have at least one primary (BFPM) and one alternate trained in these procedures
    Alternate will be opposite gender of BFPM
    Individuals will be taped by individuals of the same gender, however, in rare circumstances where an individual of the same gender is not available, an observer of the same gender must be present
    Males measured on neck and abdomen (2 sites)
    Females measured on neck, waist, and hips (3 sites)
    Measurements will be taken on bare skin, with the exception of the hips – which is taken around non-restrictive gym shorts or undergarments (absolutely NO spandex or tights)

NECK Measure:
    With the member looking straight ahead and shoulders down (not hunched), measure the neck circumference at a point just below the larynx (Adams Apple). Because of the shape of the neck, the tape will usually be angled down slightly toward the front similar to the shirt collar line. This angle will vary depending on where the larynx is located
    Care should be taken so as not to involve the shoulder/neck muscles (trapezius) in the measurement
    Round the neck measurement up to the nearest quarter inch; measure 3 times, then add the 3 measurements and divide by 3

WAIST Female:
    With the member standing with arms at her sides and at the end of a normal relaxed exhalation, measure the natural waist circumference. Ensure the tape measure is horizontal all the way around the waist. The natural waist circumference is the narrowest point, usually located about half way between the navel and the lower end of the sternum (breastbone)
    When it is not easy to distinguish the narrowest point, take several measurements and use the smallest measurement
    Round the waist measurement down to the nearest quarter inch; measure 3 times, then add the 3 measurements and divide by 3

WAIST Male:
    With the member standing with arms at his sides and at the end of a normal relaxed exhalation, measure the abdominal circumference at the navel while keeping the tape level (horizontal) to the floor. Ensure the tape measure is horizontal all the way around the abdomen
    Round the abdomen measurement down to the nearest quarter inch; measure 3 times, then add the 3 measurements and divide by 3

HIP Female:
    While facing the member’s right side, and with the tape measure level (horizontal) to the floor, measure the hips (buttocks) circumference by placing the tape (ensure the tape measure is horizontal all the way around) so it passes over the hips at the point that protrudes the farthest
    EXCEPTION: Ensure no part of the leg or thigh is a part of the measurement. If so, raise the tape measure up (still keeping it horizontal) to the point in which no part of the leg or thigh is a part of the measurement
    Round the hips measurement down to the nearest quarter inch; measure 3 times, then add the 3 measurements and divide by 3

Before inputting in AFFMS, STOP & look for Amn who:
    Failed AC
    Passed min for all 3 other comps
    Obtained ≥60 of 80 possible pts from aerobic, p/u, s/u
    If you have an Amn who meets all 3 conditions, input height/weight from scorecard in AFFMS Fitness calculator to determine BMI
    If BMI ≤25.0, input FA results for aerobic, p/u, s/u with an exemption for AC in AFFMS and complete ETP memo

If BMI 25.1 or greater, administer 2/3 site taping
    BF of ≤18% males, ≤26% females, input FA results for aerobic, p/u, s/u with an exemption for AC in AFFMS and complete ETP memo
    BF of ≥19% males, ≥ 27% females, input FA results (as tested) for aerobic, p/u, s/u, and AC

Simplified walk test
    No more HR!
    New initial test appeal authority
    AFBCMR out; Wg/CC in
    Test in AFFMS = matter of record
    BFPM must have Wg/CC’s approval, in writing, to delete FA from AFFMS
    Process for AEW/CC review developed locally
    Single component FA passing standard
    Only req’d to meet component minimum
    Passing standard for AC-only tests changed from:
    M ≤ 37.5 & F ≤ 34.0 to M ≤ 39.0 & F ≤ 35.5

Having ≥ 1 exemption(s) means no BMI/BFA
    BFPM will run BMI screen using height/weight from scorecard
    If BMI screen failed (BMI ≥ 25.1), BFPM will administer 2/3 site taping
    –Males: Neck, Abdominal
    –Females: Neck, Waist, Hips
    BFPM must have opposite gender BFA alternate appointed by FSS/CC

If Amn passes either BMI screen or BFA, they will be marked “Exempt” in AFFMS for the AC measurement
    To properly track these instances, BFPM will email an exception to policy (ETP) letter within two duty days on all Amn who passed BMI screen
    If Amn fails both BMI screen and BFA, enter FA in AFFMS as tested (AC, aerobic, p/u, s/u)

Okay...so, we have determined that PTLs can't even measure the waist correctly to begin with, now we are going to expect them to measure 2 to 3 other areas and do some complicated math with rounding up, down, all around, up a quarter, down a half...OMG...what a mess!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Updated guidance finally released

Do you have a link to this to see the weight chart?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

If they backdated this I would have passed all tests. Grrr..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Insert clever quote here...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

This cannot be serious. By this standard, a 5' 11" person who weighs 180 pounds would fail the BMI test. The old MAW for 71 inches used to be 199. What the hell?

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Alfredo View Post
    This cannot be serious. By this standard, a 5' 11" person who weighs 180 pounds would fail the BMI test. The old MAW for 71 inches used to be 199. What the hell?
    According to the NIH, a person who is 5'11" and 180 lbs has a BMI of 25.1 and is overweight.

Like I have been saying in here for a long time, most Americans are fat and out of touch with healthy weight standards.

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/...MI/bmicalc.htm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    According to the NIH, a person who is 5'11" and 180 lbs has a BMI of 25.1 and is overweight.

Like I have been saying in here for a long time, most Americans are fat and out of touch with healthy weight standards.

from that very link:
    It may overestimate body fat in athletes and others who have a muscular build.
    You mean like when I was 25, weighed 205, had a 30" waist, ran 5k's for fun, and all I had to do was prove my "fitness" by pedalling a bike. (btw, if you want to look it up, I'm 75" tall) But I gues I was "overweight" just because the BMI chart says so. Or maybe I'm "out of touch"? LOL.

BMI and waist measurements are medical guidelines of health and weight... say it with me...GUIDELINES. They are not standards and they do not measure fitness.

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by imnohero View Post
    from that very link:

You mean like when I was 25, weighed 205, had a 30" waist, ran 5k's for fun, and all I had to do was prove my "fitness" by pedalling a bike. (btw, if you want to look it up, I'm 75" tall) But I gues I was "overweight" just because the BMI chart says so. Or maybe I'm "out of touch"? LOL.

BMI and waist measurements are medical guidelines of health and weight... say it with me...GUIDELINES. They are not standards and they do not measure fitness.
    How many people who are constantly moaning about the PT program fit the description in your post?

Athletic people are not the ones in trouble with the PT program.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Athletic people are not the ones in trouble with the PT program.
    Perhaps not, the point is that BMI is no more an accurate measurement of fitness than waist measurement. But then again, we all know that the "fitness program" is no longer about fitness and mission readiness. That's just lipstick on the pig.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

BMI and waist measurement are useful indicators of health, specifically being overweight or obese.

That's what I said.

Quote Originally Posted by imnohero View Post

BMI and waist measurements are medical guidelines of health and weight...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It all begs the question then if BMI is such a good indicator, then why don't we just use it and scrap the waist measurement? It doesn't take much at all for someone 5'11" to hit 180 lbs. This is Big Blue talking with a forked tongue. Out of one side of their mouth they are telling us that over a 39" waist is a fail, while out of the other, they are telling us that over a 25 BMI is. So which is it? I would like to see the person that has over a 39" waist that has under a 25 BMI. I don't think it's possible. In fact, I'm willing to bet there are a lot of people with a 35 or 36 inch waist who are over a 25 BMI, but according to the waist measurement, they are good to go. Again, so which is it?

This was simple Big Blue's way of coming up with a means to defend the ridiculous waist measurement by pointing to a system that will tell you that anyone with even the slightest bit of muscle mass is overweight. And then, to top it all off, they add even more measurements to an already broken system.

You really can't make this stuff up. It would probably have been better if they just left it alone. IMO, the constant changes are all but an outright admission that our PT program is F'ed.