Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Updated guidance finally released

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Re: Updated guidance finally released

Quote Originally Posted by imnohero View Post
    AA, I think we have a difference of opinion on the value of BMI as it relates to the fitness test.
    Perhaps, we do but I think one aspect of this that is lost on people is that there used to be a separate weight management program.

Weight management and the PT program were merged a long time ago. It makes sense to be concerned about BMI and abdominal circumference.

I don't see the current program being unreasonable for members of a military service. It shouldn't matter if you are an office worker, cop, cook, or maintenance troop. What is the problem with mandating weight and fitness standards for the military?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    Perhaps, we do but I think one aspect of this that is lost on people is that there used to be a separate weight management program.

Weight management and the PT program were merged a long time ago. It makes sense to be concerned about BMI and abdominal circumference.

I don't see the current program being unreasonable for members of a military service. It shouldn't matter if you are an office worker, cop, cook, or maintenance troop. What is the problem with mandating weight and fitness standards for the military?
    Having a weight standard is just fine. Having a fitness standard is just fine. Mushing the two together, in one program, is the problem. Especially when the AF keeps giving lip service to the idea that a waist size (or now BMI) is a measure of fitness, instead of what they really want, which is a weight standard.

Honestly, I think there would be less heartburn about it if Big Blue just said that they wanted a weight and appearance standard and disconnected it from the Fit-Test score.

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by imnohero View Post
    Having a weight standard is just fine. Having a fitness standard is just fine. Mushing the two together, in one program, is the problem. Especially when the AF keeps giving lip service to the idea that a waist size (or now BMI) is a measure of fitness, instead of what they really want, which is a weight standard.

Honestly, I think there would be less heartburn about it if Big Blue just said that they wanted a weight and appearance standard and disconnected it from the Fit-Test score.
    Point taken.

I guess my "rock bottom line" is the whole fucking confusing program is irrelevant if a person eats right and exercises regularly.

If a person wants to be a couch potato, fine; they can look for employment in the Navy or at some Fat & Tall clothing retailer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've spent 23 years eating and drinking whatever I want and prepping for a PT test (and passing) a few weeks out. Nothing is going to change now...
    Advice from JD2780:

"don't post angry"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    I'm a little confused. The OP says that the BMI will be determined if the other 3 total >60. If the passing score is a 75, should the BMI be determined if the other scores total at least 55, since the waist is worth 20?
    According to the chart, members will have to score 60 or more points from the run, p/u, and s/u components. The run accounts for 60 pts, the others 10 pts each...for a total of 80. So, to get a 75% score, you will need 60 or more points.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by StandardsAMust View Post
    According to the chart, members will have to score 60 or more points from the run, p/u, and s/u components. The run accounts for 60 pts, the others 10 pts each...for a total of 80. So, to get a 75% score, you will need 60 or more points.
    Ohh...I see...so it's scored as if you are exempt from the waist...gotcha...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    Ohh...I see...so it's scored as if you are exempt from the waist...gotcha...
    I think the wording just makes it appear complicated. From what I've gathered, if you fail the waist measurement but meet either the BMI or fat taping, you will get 15 points, which should be the amount you receive if you taped at 39" originally. Those 15 points will get you to the passing score of 75. If you're below 60 points on the other components, there's no reason to go through the other 2 measurements because it is a fail anyways. The way I see it, this should eliminate the excuse of not trying on the other components if you bust max waist off the bat (which I was guilty of the only time I failed that portion.) The only question I would have when it comes to this is when will the fat tape test occur. If it is immediately after the rest of the test, that's a huge foul. But, in all honesty, someone with a 40" waist is highly unlikely to pass the tape test unless they have a super neck, or a huge extra chin a la former SECAF Roche.

The above post is all speculation on my part.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

how do you post images on this forum? All I get is a URL window with no way to browse for the image.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

so you can't upload a file from your computer...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Air Force misses the 1 Oct 13 date for the new PT standards to take place...wow...imagine that. The new standards are delayed until the fitness AFI can be updated.