Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NO EXCUSE FOR PT FAILS

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

NO EXCUSE FOR PT FAILS

Straight from AFT editorial section...guess there is only one other person in the AF that agrees with me and I applaud his courage to identify himself.

NO EXCUSE FOR PT FAILS

The physical training guidance and changes aren’t what’s causing people to pass or fail. It’s poor discipline, poor eating habits, ignorance and laziness.
    We need to stop letting people get away with multiple fails. We all know the requirements at a minimum six months prior to testing. There are no grounds to complain about any of it.
    Quit seeking out a waiver/profile when your test date rolls around because you are too lazy to exercise. We have the easiest test of any branch.
    Maybe implementing no-notice PT tests would keep members more on their toes; or it would help get rid of those who just want to complain versus those who take it upon themselves to get out and run. I can’t believe the overweight bodies I still see in the Air Force. It’s simple:You people are not within Air Force standards.

Master Sgt. Craig Dawdy
    Mountain Home Air Force Base, Idaho

It’s poor discipline, poor eating habits, ignorance and laziness. (BINGO)
    Quit seeking out a waiver/profile when your test date rolls around because you are too lazy to exercise. (Air Force needs to fix this)
    We have the easiest test of any branch (not so sure about that one...I think alot of Army and Navy would fail ours, Marines would do okay...assuming the test was administered properly...which isn't the case today now that the FACs have dissolved to low ranking, untrained Airmen).
    I can’t believe the overweight bodies I still see in the Air Force (It's called body wraps or tape test tightening).
    Maybe implementing no-notice PT tests would keep members more on their toes. (Plausible suggestion, but highly unlikely...members must fill out that questionairre at least 7 days before the test)
    It’s simple:You people are not within Air Force standards. (StandardsAMust)

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Re: NO EXCUSE FOR PT FAILS

Quote Originally Posted by StandardsAMust View Post
    Straight from AFT editorial section...guess there is only one other person in the AF that agrees with me and I applaud his courage to identify himself.

NO EXCUSE FOR PT FAILS

The physical training guidance and changes aren’t what’s causing people to pass or fail. It’s poor discipline, poor eating habits, ignorance and laziness.
    We need to stop letting people get away with multiple fails. We all know the requirements at a minimum six months prior to testing. There are no grounds to complain about any of it.
    Quit seeking out awaiver/profile when your test date rolls around because you are too lazy to exercise. We have the easiest test of any branch.
    Maybe implementing no-notice PT tests would keep members more on their toes; or it would help get rid of those who just want to complain versus those who take it upon themselves to get out and run. I can’t believe the overweight bodies I still see in the Air Force. It’s simple:You people are not within Air Force standards.

Master Sgt. Craig Dawdy
    Mountain Home Air Force Base, Idaho

It’s poor discipline, poor eating habits, ignorance and laziness. (BINGO)
    Quit seeking out awaiver/profile when your test date rolls around because you are too lazy to exercise. (Air Force needs to fix this)
    We have the easiest test of any branch (not so sure about that one...I think alot of Army and Navy would fail ours, Marines would do okay).
    I can’t believe the overweight bodies I still see in the Air Force (It's called body wraps or tape test tightening).
    Maybe implementing no-notice PT tests would keep members more on their toes. (Plausible suggestion, but highly unlikely...members must fill out that questionairre at least 7 days before the test)
    It’s simple:You people are not within Air Force standards. (StandardsAMust)
    Bullshit...I know there are some who "seek out" waivers, but waivers are NOT easy to get. As a matter of fact, military doctors now assume you are looking for a way out of PT. The first question I was always asked was "When do you test?" Why is that relevant?

One of the major reasons people fail is because of the squadron PT program. It does nothing to prepare you for the test. And I know you can still do stuff on your own, but with short manning, long duty days, and hour of "off duty" for Sq PT, some people like to spend an hour or two with their spouse and kids once in awhile. This MSgt is a DB.

Oh, and he sent this thing out for one reason and one reason only. He's looking for a "mentoring" bullet for his SMSgt package.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Push-ups, sit-ups, running. These are the ONLY three things PT sessions should focus on. I got so sick and tired of hearing, "we do grab-ass sessions because it 'works your core'." Bullshit. If you want to practice for a jump rope contest, then you don't practice hop-scotch.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FLAPS, USAF (ret) View Post
    Push-ups, sit-ups, running. These are the ONLY three things PT sessions should focus on. I got so sick and tired of hearing, "we do grab-ass sessions because it 'works your core'." Bullshit. If you want to practice for a jump rope contest, then you don't practice hop-scotch.
    Yup...Got so tired of the fad of the week, depending who the PTL is that week. Hell, we had a PTL who was into MMA, so for a couple weeks, our PT sessions consisted of learning to punch and kick...and the Commander didn't have anything to say about it. It's a joke.

I will say, the last time I ran was about 8 1/2 months ago (no need to run the last 6 months before my retirement) and my body feels so much better than it has for the last 4 years.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    Yup...Got so tired of the fad of the week, depending who the PTL is that week. Hell, we had a PTL who was into MMA, so for a couple weeks, our PT sessions consisted of learning to punch and kick...and the Commander didn't have anything to say about it. It's a joke.

I will say, the last time I ran was about 8 1/2 months ago (no need to run the last 6 months before my retirement) and my body feels so much better than it has for the last 4 years.
    I too quit running, but after about one month of terminal leave. My tendons, ankles and heels hurt, so finally I asked myself, "why the eff do I still do this?" After that day I took up incline treadmill walks and bike riding. I feel healthier now than anytime during my last two years in uniform. On another note, I just saw my first retirement pay statement. It's like I just hit the lottery for $800 per week tax free for life. Woo hoo!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post

There is nothing worse than a PTL pushing a "flavor of the week" workout on an entire squadron. I've been in sessions so bad that I've resorted to doing my own exercises during the formation. I've had to deal with the following:

MMA Dude: He thinks the morning PT session is his personal version of Never Back Down

HIIT Dude: Confuses "squadron PT" with his dream of "Tough Mudder" meets "Hardcore Parkour".

CrossFit Dude: Sees squadron PT as another step towards a Reebok CrossFit Games sponsorship.

Over-Motivational Dude: Usually a high-speed SrA or SSgt that forgets the person he is rudely yelling at to "have better form" or to "put in more effort" is our Ops CC major or is the CEM. PT gear may lack rank, an adrenaline high from a workout may cloud one's judgment or get one "amped-up", and a select few might see this "rudeness" as "motivation"...but once PT is over and the normal real-world of operations and ABUs with name/rank returns, I feel for them

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I agree. It is also important to note that 60% of the test is based on your run so the bulk of PT sessions should be unit runs. Its great that some people enjoy "amazing abs" on their own time but for mandatory unit PT you shouldn't spend a whole session working on abs which is only 10% of the test and most people do not have an issue with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Agreed. I once had a squadron commander that made us do the same workout (Mon, Wed, Fri). We would do push ups, sit ups, and then run 3 miles. Why? Because it was these three components that we were being tested on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think some of you retirees (of which I am one) would be better off hanging out at the VFW smoking cigarettes and drinking stale Coors Light, complaining about how things used to be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm a cyclist. I only run for about 2 weeks prior to my test to get my legs used to the impact of running. I do enough p/u's and s/u's to keep my muscles decent. Scored my first sub 90(89.5) this year. No excuses although I had a sinus inf and couldn't breath(I know...thats an excuse).

I don't do sq pt...its a joke(run one day, gator ball, ultimate frisbee)