Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: NO EXCUSE FOR PT FAILS

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Re: NO EXCUSE FOR PT FAILS

Quote Originally Posted by StandardsAMust View Post
    I've never seen anyone in my unit get into "trouble" for failing a mock test...the only thing they get is "special" attention to get them back into shape...like being enrolled into the fitness improvement program.

What punishments are you seeing?
    Ummm...the FIP is a "punishment". There's a huge disconnect between what some people see as punishment and what some see as correction. I struggled with the PRT for most of my career, and I can tell you, having to go into the gym for "boot camp" on days off (while working 12 hour shifts, Panama schedule) is a punishment.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 71Fish View Post
    You are right about that. I've seen it several times. I always scored in the 90s but during mock tests, but I hang back to help someone who needs it, and that's a problem.
    This is exactly one of the problems. We had several go through the same thing. 90s and above (on mock) were allowed to PT on their own, which is great. However, they would do what you were talking about and in essence being "punished" for trying to help others because their mock test would end up in the 80s. Pretty bad when you get unneeded attention for trying to help someone out on a test that is just supposed to be for people to see where they are.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I would do mock PT tests for my troops at least monthly. The feedback I got from them is that it showed that I cared about if they were going to pass. It is no secret that my rating was directly related to their performance, so I did have a vested interest. Whatever the reason, I felt it was in their (and my) best interest to perform well.

As a result, I knew my troops. If I saw one was dropping back to motivate another, I chalked it up to leadership in action. I knew these troops, so I would not use a bad time on the run as an accurate indicator if I knew that the troop would normally run well within time.

The next day, I would let the group in on the collective results. If the results showed we were lacking somewhat in push-ups, we would develop a course of action. Those that excelled in push-ups were not given a pass; they were consulted about ways to improve those that were not doing as well. Same with all the events - someone in the group is the best at that event so give that person a chance to shine and at the same time help the group. This forms teams and results in unit cohesion (at least it did in my experience). I was not a fan of anyone doing PT on their own. Not because I did not trust them, but I felt the cohesion of the unit outweighed any benefit of getting out of such an obvious requirement.

The results of any "test" should be used to determine training opportunities. The results should not be used as a way to punish or coerce. In today's military, the troops know the consequence of failure could be unemployment. If they don't know this by now, their leaders have failed them. Physical fitness is the responsibility of the individual and it always will be. However, there are great ways to get the troops to "buy in" on this. There will always be a few that no matter how much you try to motivate and encourage them, they will rebel and not succeed. I always felt these troops were not the ones we would want to see promoted, so the system was in place to handle that. It was not personal, it was business.
    When things go wrong in your command, start searching for the reason in increasingly larger concentric circles around your own desk.
    -GEN Bruce C. Clarke

Newbie - (Restricted)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is my 3rd PT program in the AF. We have never had a difficult test. It is the individuals responsibility to get in shape and stay in shape. Here is a simple program that has worked for me in my 27 years in service:
    1. Work out at least 3 times a week. 30 mins cardio/15 mins strength trng/10 mins stretching = 55 mins
    2. Try to eat right. If you can't control your bad eating habits, add 2 more days to your work out...
    3. 3 to 4 months prior to the test, run 1 1/2/do 50 pushups/100 situps at least 3 times a week
    You will not fail the test. The test truly isn't designed for failures. However it will identify the folks not in good physical condition in terms of overall fitness.
    I.M.O.I.H.T.T.T.A.N.B.T.T.T.T.B.O.M.K.I.T.S.H.M.G.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HMT View Post
    We have never had a difficult test. It is the individuals responsibility to get in shape and stay in shape.
    Most of what I have read here on MTF makes me think you are in the minority. Apparently, the Air Force PT test can only be passed by athletes of Olympic quality. Also, it is program (and management of the same) that is the cause of so many airmen failing.
    When things go wrong in your command, start searching for the reason in increasingly larger concentric circles around your own desk.
    -GEN Bruce C. Clarke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by efmbman View Post
    Most of what I have read here on MTF makes me think you are in the minority. Apparently, the Air Force PT test can only be passed by athletes of Olympic quality. Also, it is program (and management of the same) that is the cause of so many airmen failing.
    That's the funniest thing I have ever read on this forum.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

And something that practically no one who complains about the *administration* of the test ever says...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by efmbman View Post
    Negative. It's very easy to say "Most of what I have read on here..." since it is absolutely ambiguous.

The Air Force PFT is easy - pushups, sit-ups, run for 1.5 miles. If one is in normal shape and uninjured, then one can pass with ease. Where the disconnect begins is with 1) emphasis on PT, 2) how the program is administered, 3) how items 1 and 2 can combine into a negative force that discriminates against people with legitimate profiles, legitimate health issues, and people who have much worth to offer the Air Force but are instead marginalized due to a perverse focus on this one dysfunctional aspect of force health management.

It has been almost a decade now since the PT culture of the Air Force shifted dramatically. That means that for those who've been in, they've had a decade to adjust accordingly; for those coming in, they know the game from Week Zero and thus...no excuses.

It also means that the Air Force has had a decade to get this program right and yet here we are...five CSAFs and four CMSAF's later & it's still a mess. No excuses.

You are easily and sadly amused.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I was stationed at Eglin during the bike test days. But I still kept up my running. I wanted to be fast enough to outrun the EOD students. You know, just in case I had to.
    "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli." -- Peter Clemenza.