Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NO EXCUSE FOR PT FAILS

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Re: NO EXCUSE FOR PT FAILS

Quote Originally Posted by Giant Voice View Post
    I'm a cyclist. I only run for about 2 weeks prior to my test to get my legs used to the impact of running. I do enough p/u's and s/u's to keep my muscles decent. Scored my first sub 90(89.5) this year. No excuses although I had a sinus inf and couldn't breath(I know...thats an excuse).

I don't do sq pt...its a joke(run one day, gator ball, ultimate frisbee)
    Why would you need an excuse...you passed with an 89.5. It's sad that people think there's something wrong with that.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I don't have any personnel right now. In the past as a Division Officer the basic routine was:

-Two days a week, PRT improvement via pushup, situps, running. Sometimes we ran long and slow for endurence , sometimes we did sprint training to improve speed.
    -One day a week, something fun & espirit d'corps building ie. flag football or whatever -- usually the Sailors' choice.
    -Once a month we would do mock PRTs so the LCPO and I knew who may need to PT more than 3 times a week.
    -As we got about a month out from the PRT the fun day usually went away.

No need to try and run people into the ground.

I am 41, have had a knee rebuilt, and have a bad back and neck from parachuting but still manage to average in the top 5% most of the time.

The PT test is pretty easy to pass, failing it is usually a result of old fashioned laziness.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stalwart View Post
    I don't have any personnel right now. In the past as a Division Officer the basic routine was:

-Two days a week, PRT improvement via pushup, situps, running. Sometimes we ran long and slow for endurence , sometimes we did sprint training to improve speed.
    -One day a week, something fun & espirit d'corps building ie. flag football or whatever -- usually the Sailors' choice.
    -Once a month we would do mock PRTs so the LCPO and I knew who may need to PT more than 3 times a week.
    -As we got about a month out from the PRT the fun day usually went away.

No need to try and run people into the ground.

I am 41, have had a knee rebuilt, and have a bad back and neck from parachuting but still manage to average in the top 5% most of the time.

The PT test is pretty easy to pass, failing it is usually a result of old fashioned laziness.
    The only part I don't like about the "mock" PT test is that they turn into a disciplinary issue if someone doesn't do well. That's not what they should be used for. They should be used for 2 things...1) let the person know what they need to improve and 2)let the "leadership" determine if the squadron PT program needs to be tweeked (ie. are the PT sessions doing any good). Instead, the mocks turn into an excuse to send people to separate PT sessions with the HAWC, etc. I'd rather see a real monthly test than a mock test.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    The only part I don't like about the "mock" PT test is that they turn into a disciplinary issue if someone doesn't do well. That's not what they should be used for. They should be used for 2 things...1) let the person know what they need to improve and 2)let the "leadership" determine if the squadron PT program needs to be tweeked (ie. are the PT sessions doing any good). Instead, the mocks turn into an excuse to send people to separate PT sessions with the HAWC, etc. I'd rather see a real monthly test than a mock test.
    The AFI specifically says that all members must be physically fit, 365 days a year, not just for testing purposes.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by StandardsAMust View Post
    The AFI specifically says that all members must be physically fit, 365 days a year, not just for testing purposes.
    Yes, but it also states that mock tests are NOT to be used for disciplinary reasons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't disagree with you or the guy in the article. Most people are out of shape because they don't exercise. Its laziness and bad eating habits pure and simple. Even if you only spend 2-3 weeks preparing for the test, you should be able to "gut out" at least an 80. As I see the culture changing my unit has climbed to a 75% above 90 pass rate. The ones still on the 6 month cycle... yup, thats where you will find the big waists and low exercise routines.

I still want taping to be fixed. Two PTLs, two different measurments. That is not correct. Its also the same subjectivity that allows the 42 in waists to read 39 and not get in trouble. Fix taping and the program is where I think it needs to be.
    Advice from JD2780:

"don't post angry"

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

The only part I don't like about the "mock" PT test is that they turn into a disciplinary issue if someone doesn't do well.

Concur.

I don't consider it disciplinary though if I am identifying who needs to PT more than the required 3 times a week. I have offered to do extra PT with people who needed it or didn't have the motivation, offered to let them have an extra hour at lunch to get in some PT -- if that is what they were going to use it for etc. But yes, I could see where people could abuse that.

One division I was put in charge of had so many people that had failed the PRT (and a few in danger of admin separation) that we did PT five times a week until the next PRT even though the Navy instruction says that only three sessions are required. We only had one failure after the next test and it saved a couple of people from having their third failure (automatic requirement to process for admin separation.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You are right about that. I've seen it several times. I always scored in the 90s but during mock tests, but I hang back to help someone who needs it, and that's a problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 71Fish View Post
    You are right about that. I've seen it several times. I always scored in the 90s but during mock tests, but I hang back to help someone who needs it, and that's a problem.
    I've never seen anyone in my unit get into "trouble" for failing a mock test...the only thing they get is "special" attention to get them back into shape...like being enrolled into the fitness improvement program.

What punishments are you seeing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've never seen anyone in my unit get into "trouble" for failing a mock test...the only thing they get is "special" attention to get them back into shape...like being enrolled into the fitness improvement program.

What punishments are you seeing?
    I didn't say punishment. What they receive is unneeded attention. Not everyone is a super athlete. Like I did say in my post, I would hang back to help other and get accussed of not working hard enough even though I always scored in the 90s.