Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Church Members Mistreat Homeless Man in Church Unaware It Is Their Pastor in Disguise

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Church Members Mistreat Homeless Man in Church Unaware It Is Their Pastor in Disguise

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Re: Church Members Mistreat Homeless Man in Church Unaware It Is Their Pastor in Disg

I overestimated Christians. Seriously.

I'm not surprised at all that Christians had such attitudes. Not by a long shot.

What I AM surprised by, is that none of them checked those attitudes at the door; and at least tried to PRETEND that they cared about the guy so as to look good in front of their congregation.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Church Members Mistreat Homeless Man in Church Unaware It Is Their Pastor in Disg

Wow,

That was brilliant. Kind of reminds you of the TV show Undercover Boss. I am sure the pastor got his point across. Sometimes we all need a wake up call. Well done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've heard of this kind of thing happening at several different churches. I think it's sad that some us talk the talk but don't walk the walk. It's always refreshing to see people lump all christians together because of the act of a few (if you count all of us in the world). There are jerks everywhere and being a christian doesn't make you exempt from it or make you perfect. we all struggle to try to be better people, but none of us can do it. Every time I hear this story, I just hope these people learned a little something about doing the right thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    I overestimated Christians. Seriously.

I'm not surprised at all that Christians had such attitudes. Not by a long shot.

What I AM surprised by, is that none of them checked those attitudes at the door; and at least tried to PRETEND that they cared about the guy so as to look good in front of their congregation.
    I'm not surprised that you're not surprised. Christian people are still people, and people are screw up and far from perfect. I do feel sorry for this church that if this story is completely true is full of upity jackasses.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Measure Man View Post
    I like people who shake things up...especially among the self-righteous:
    This has been going around on Facebook lately. Snopes.com says undetermined on whether or not its true. Even if it isn't I still appreciate the message and think we can all learn something from it.

http://www.snopes.com/glurge/homelesspastor.asp

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Silverback View Post
    Wow,

That was brilliant. Kind of reminds you of the TV show Undercover Boss. I am sure the pastor got his point across. Sometimes we all need a wake up call. Well done.
    Exactly.. Way to shake things up at his congregation. Though i am sure some might call what he did a 'sham' designed to humiliate his congregation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Humility is one of the christian virtues, isn't it?

http://www.kevinscottwrites.com/2013...tian-humility/

Moderator edit: Member indicates this link goes to a Christian blog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Daaamn! Way to own thousands of self-righteous hypocrites in one fell swoop. I'm not even religious, but I'd give that pastor a handshake and a beer if I had the chance.
    Beer is proof that God loves us.
    Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SomeRandomGuy View Post
    This has been going around on Facebook lately. Snopes.com says undetermined on whether or not its true. Even if it isn't I still appreciate the message and think we can all learn something from it.

http://www.snopes.com/glurge/homelesspastor.asp
    If you read the bottom, there is no reference to any reverend with that name (except on in which another minister likely referenced this story), it is reminicent of an actual experiment at Princeton in 1970 (the source of its very own urban legend), almost exactly the same as part of and anecdote from the 1897 "In His Steps: What would Jesus Do?" by Charles M. Sheldon, AND the pic isn't a minister, it is an actual homelss man in London.....

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    See you missed that part. As in any good urban legend, you have to have one or two that do the right thing to make it believable...in the story there were a few that greeted him....:drum
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings