Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Church Members Mistreat Homeless Man in Church Unaware It Is Their Pastor in Disguise

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Re: Church Members Mistreat Homeless Man in Church Unaware It Is Their Pastor in Disg

Quote Originally Posted by AJBIGJ View Post
    Adding to that, some people are just shy. I wouldn't exactly call it sinful for a person to be a bit introverted.
    ...how is being "shy" or "introverted" an excuse, when the "homeless" man is the one initiating contact and making the requests?
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Church Members Mistreat Homeless Man in Church Unaware It Is Their Pastor in Disg

Adding to that, some people are just shy. I wouldn't exactly call it sinful for a person to be a bit introverted.
    And he wasn't talking to them according to the story, he was asking for money. I've worked with homeless people regularly and we tell people not to give them money. If they need food, get them some, if they need clothes, buy them some, if they need shelter, get them a room or a tent. I still think people are jerks though and prob most would ignore him, but like I said, being a christian doesn't make you perfect or magically comfortable enough to reach out to someone who is out of your social comfort level.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    ...how is being "shy" or "introverted" an excuse, when the "homeless" man is the one initiating contact and making the requests?
    How about the fact that the whole thing was made-up? I get that atheists think that christians believe in a myth but how in the FUCK can someone use an urban legend to bash on people they disparage for believing a myth? WTF kind of sense does THAT make?
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Presuming the hypothetical, in all honesty, how would you see yourself responding to someone who bore all resemblance to a sycophant, who just approaches random strangers asking for money, would you not be a tad cautious to drop a $20 on the guy when your inclination might be that he might be looking to get a pack of booze? In truth, I've met very few people in general who would respond positively when put in the situation. Now, should we hold Christians to a higher standard? A Christian might and probably should believe so, but an Atheist has no grounds whatsoever to state that a Christian should respond better on average than anyone else if their disbelief in items of faith is based on intellect. If one does believe that Christians should take the higher road, their Atheist beliefs is clearly not based solely on an intellectual disagreement.
    "The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." ~ Thomas Jefferson

It will be of little avail to the people that the laws are made by men of their own choice if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be read, or so incoherent that they cannot be understood.
    James Madison

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pullinteeth View Post
    How about the fact that the whole tying was made-up? I get that atheists think that christians believe in a myth but how in the FUCK can someone use an urban legend to bash on people they disparage for believing a myth? WTF kind of sense does THAT make?
    Okay, we've established that it's made up. I guess in addition to challenging things said in exaggeration, jest, and sarcasm... you'll also challenge hypothetical talk as well. Give it a rest, dude. Believe it or not, there ARE other people in this world who are equally as intelligent as you are.

Presuming the hypothetical, in all honesty, how would you see yourself responding to someone who bore all resemblance to a sycophant, who just approaches random strangers asking for money, would you not be a tad cautious to drop a $20 on the guy when your inclination might be that he might be looking to get a pack of booze? In truth, I've met very few people in general who would respond positively when put in the situation. Now, should we hold Christians to a higher standard? A Christian might and probably should believe so, but an Atheist has no grounds whatsoever to state that a Christian should respond better on average than anyone else if their disbelief in items of faith is based on intellect. If one does believe that Christians should take the higher road, their Atheist beliefs is clearly not based solely on an intellectual disagreement.
    Well... not exactly. This isn't about double standards. This is about questioning whether or not people are actually true to the things they say. Have you heard any atheist say that it's his duty as an atheist to help the less fortunate? That's why you can't hold atheists to that standard. Because we don't claim to have it. Christians, on the other hand...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well... not exactly. This isn't about double standards. This is about questioning whether or not people are actually true to the things they say. Have you heard any atheist say that it's his duty as an atheist to help the less fortunate? That's why you can't hold atheists to that standard. Because we don't claim to have it. Christians, on the other hand...
    I suggest you re-read your quote, and then take a hard look at the second, and last sentences.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I suggest you re-read your quote, and then take a hard look at the second, and last sentences.
    Eat a dick.

So what are your thoughts, AJ?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Eat a dick.
    So typical, it's pathetic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Eat a dick.

So what are your thoughts, AJ?
    An intellectual argument for Atheism wouldn't concern itself very much with the actions of individual Christians. An intellectual argument addresses the faults of the faith system itself, not its members. For instance, one who chooses to have no belief because there is insufficient evidence to prove the positive or the negative regarding the existence of God or the validity of the story of Jesus Christ. A charge against the faith because of the actions of its members really has very little intellectual argument to it, except maybe the literal translation of a "New Creation" as depicted in the book of 2 Corinthians. If a person is in fact a non-believer then that verse should hold no more weight than any other in the Bible, because one already disbelieves the faith in general, so an Atheist who bases their position has no valid reason to believe a Christian should respond to environmental stimuli any differently from any other human being. The attempt to expose "hypocrisy" of individual Christians is not an intellectual position supporting Atheism, it is an emotional response to individual Christians who purport themselves as morally superior to any other individual. That is the fault of the individual, not the faith itself. It is a valid concern that some Christian individuals have consistently proven themselves to be hypocritical, but such is an argument against the Christian individuals, not the faith itself. The faith itself condemns the actions of the individuals. It would be akin to having a Christian make the arguments against Atheism by citing the actions of Pol Pot.
    "The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." ~ Thomas Jefferson

It will be of little avail to the people that the laws are made by men of their own choice if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be read, or so incoherent that they cannot be understood.
    James Madison

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AJBIGJ
    An intellectual argument for Atheism wouldn't concern itself very much with the actions of individual Christians.
    What the hell is Atheism? I assume you're talking about atheism. But what I'm saying is not an argument for atheism.

An intellectual argument addresses the faults of the faith system itself, not its members.
    Isn't that what's happening? Religion is supposed to make its followers into better people, is not? But that's not happening, is it?

Christianity believes that one is saved through faith alone. So, as long as someone has accepted Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior, the belief is that anything else that they do - or fail to thereof - will have no consequences. However... if one did have the faith, would they not be helping this man because of that faith?

What has "Christianity" really done for Christians? If I recall correctly, there were recent stats showing that over 95% of current prison inmates are Christian. This isn't me questioning the individuals; this is me questioning what Christianity has done for them. They were Christian, and they still committed a heinous crime that put them in their current position.

Mind you, I'm not arguing for atheism. If an atheist commits a crime, then he did so in accordance with his own personal morals which are totally different than mine or any other atheist.

Christians, however, read the same Bible and worship the same god.

For instance, one who chooses to have no belief because there is insufficient evidence to prove the positive or the negative regarding the existence of God or the validity of the story of Jesus Christ. A charge against the faith because of the actions of its members really has very little intellectual argument to it, except maybe the literal translation of a "New Creation" as depicted in the book of 2 Corinthians. If a person is in fact a non-believer then that verse should hold no more weight than any other in the Bible, because one already disbelieves the faith in general, so an Atheist who bases their position has no valid reason to believe a Christian should respond to environmental stimuli any differently from any other human being.
    Not true. If enlisted person in uniform is walking past an officer in uniform, he's expected to salute - is he not? What about the civilian?

A Christian belongs to something where things are expected of him or her. An atheist does not.

The only time where you can hold and an atheist and a Christian to the same standard is when it comes to the law, or the rules and regulations of a non-government or non-religious organization that they might both belong to - for example, working for the same employer.

The attempt to expose "hypocrisy" of individual Christians is not an intellectual position supporting Atheism, it is an emotional response to individual Christians who prove themselves as morally superior to any other individual. That is the fault of the individual, not the faith itself. It is a valid concern that some Christian individuals have consistently proven themselves to be hypocritical, but such is an argument against the Christian individuals, not the faith itself. The faith itself condemns the actions of the individuals. It would be akin to having a Christian make the arguments against Atheism by citing the actions of Pol Pot.
    The quality of any product is reflective of the workmanship of the person who produced it. That said... what has Christianity done for these Christians?

An argument against atheism because of Pol Pot would be invalid. Atheism is not a religion, and to say it is would be the same as saying that abstinence is a sex position.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males