Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Squadron Fitness Policy takes effect 1 Oct 13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

New Squadron Fitness Policy takes effect 1 Oct 13

Our squadron CC just issued a policy that is sure to stir some controversy. Currently, the entire squadron has mandatory fitness gatherings three times a week...Mon, Wed, and Fri. Times change and vary throughout the year based on seasonal changes. Some love it, some hate it. Roll is not taken...it's on the honor system. Squadron leadership is always present. The new policy goes like this:

1. Recent guidance changes resulting in the implementation of the Development Special Duties (DSD) process has prompted me to make a change to my squadron fitness policy. During a recent evaluation of potential DSD candidates, the fitness program was a discreminating factor for many of our personnel. To be eligible for the DSD program, members must have a score of 90 or higher on their most recent fitness evaluation, an 80 or higher on their last two tests, and not be exempted from any component over the last 12 months.

2. Effective 1 Oct 13, Squadron PT will be revised to 5 days per week and will be led by a PTL. Workouts will last no more than one hour and will be completed during the duty day. Members who have tested in all four components and have scored 80 or higher are exempt from attending Squadron PT and may choose to workout however they wish.

3. Members who have a current unsatisfactory score will continue to be enrolled in the fitness improvement plan.

4. Members who have any exempted component(s) on their last official fitness assessment, as listed in AFFMS, on or after 1 Oct 13, will be enrolled into this program. Members with a valid AF Form 469/422 will workout according to the fitness prescription as listed.

5. Attendance is mandatory and will be taken. No-shows will be reported through the chain-of-command for action.

6. Members will be released from the program when they have an official score of 80 or higher on their most recent fitness assessment without any component exemptions.

7. Questions can be addressed to the UFPM, the First Sergeant, or myself. Exceptions to the policy will be considered on a case-by-case basis only.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Re: New Squadron Fitness Policy takes effect 1 Oct 13

Quote Originally Posted by StandardsAMust View Post
    Our squadron CC just issued a policy that is sure to stir some controversy. Currently, the entire squadron has mandatory fitness gatherings three times a week...Mon, Wed, and Fri. Times change and vary throughout the year based on seasonal changes. Some love it, some hate it. Roll is not taken...it's on the honor system. Squadron leadership is always present. The new policy goes like this:

1. Recent guidance changes resulting in the implementation of the Development Special Duties (DSD) process has prompted me to make a change to my squadron fitness policy. During a recent evaluation of potential DSD candidates, the fitness program was a discreminating factor for many of our personnel. To be eligible for the DSD program, members must have a score of 90 or higher on their most recent fitness evaluation, an 80 or higher on their last two tests, and not be exempted from any component over the last 12 months.

2. Effective 1 Oct 13, Squadron PT will be revised to 5 days per week and will be led by a PTL. Workouts will last no more than one hour and will be completed during the duty day. Members who have tested in all four components and have scored 80 or higher are exempt from attending Squadron PT and may choose to workout however they wish.

3. Members who have a current unsatisfactory score will continue to be enrolled in the fitness improvement plan.

4. Members who have any exempted component(s) on their last official fitness assessment, as listed in AFFMS, on or after 1 Oct 13, will be enrolled into this program. Members with a valid AF Form 469/422 will workout according to the fitness prescription as listed.

5. Attendance is mandatory and will be taken. No-shows will be reported through the chain-of-command for action.

6. Members will be released from the program when they have an official score of 80 or higher on their most recent fitness assessment without any component exemptions.

7. Questions can be addressed to the UFPM, the First Sergeant, or myself. Exceptions to the policy will be considered on a case-by-case basis only.
    That's crazy. So if someone is undergoing an MEB and can't do much they still have to show up at this? What if they have a score of over an 80? Seems that is punishing a lot of people that may not need it. There may be some profile fakers out there. But what about the legit ones? If someone has a broken arm and can't do push ups but scored perfect on every other componant they are going to have to be in this program? Hmmm
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Insert clever quote here...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Measure Man View Post
    Holy crap...really?
    I think we may have discovered ROAD/PT GOD's new account. :reporter:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaken1976 View Post
    That's crazy. So if someone is undergoing an MEB and can't do much they still have to show up at this? What if they have a score of over an 80? Seems that is punishing a lot of people that may not need it. There may be some profile fakers out there. But what about the legit ones? If someone has a broken arm and can't do push ups but scored perfect on every other componant they are going to have to be in this program? Hmmm
    Exceptions to the policy will be considered on a case-by-case basis only.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My last squadron had a policy very similar to this one. It lasted a few months before the PTLs stopped caring or could not make it due to deployments, shift responsibilities, formal training, etc. Eventually control of fitness time was ceded back to duty section OICs/NCOICs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This was implemented in my previous unit and it lasted all of a few months as well, when flying ops still had to occur and more of the crewmembers/ops support troops had flight related or instructor duties to attend to and we all had to be actually at work doing our jobs. To accomodate the PFT schedule. Same thing with us, control was back to the duty section OICs/NCOICs before we knew it.
    Cheers!

Dickie
    ----------------------------------------------------
    3S373 AF Manpower Requirements Analyst
    3S371 Manpower and Organization Craftsman
    1P071 Aircrew Flight Equipment Craftsman
    1T171 Aircrew Life Support Craftsman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So yea... my unit has the same policy and we currently have someone on profile because of a hip injury and surgery and the profile states that she can't do anything (walk/run/lift/push/stand/etc) so they have her sit on the bleachers until pt was done...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tak View Post
    Makes perfect sense in today's Air Force.
    You Sir wouldn't know what "Today's" Air Force is like. Now go to the commissary and write a check for prunes.
    Advice from JD2780:

"don't post angry"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I can't tell you how ticked I was reading this while sitting at Minot.

PACAF site http://www.pacaf.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123152039

We did that same shit at Hurlburt...it is not as fun as it looks...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I can't tell you how ticked I was reading this while sitting at Minot.

PACAF site http://www.pacaf.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123152039

I'll throw some sand along 83 where the standing water is and we can work out there. :-)