Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hobbies

Retired
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hobbies

What are your hobbies? Do they involve the kids/family or are they yours alone?

We do a LOT as a family. During the week we are toting the kids to their activities. Weekends we are out and about exploring, hiking, fishing, or finding new places to eat.

On my own I like to read, ride my bike, listen to music, or whatever else is relaxing.

When it is just the adults we like to catch movies, go to dinner, hit up concerts, or go to a nice quiet bar.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Re: Hobbies

Most of my hobbies are mine alone. I play hockey and sometimes my wife will come to games to watch. She actually loves the sport. I also like mountain biking and weight lifting. I love travelling too. That's another thing my wife will do with me. One of my favorite things to do though is fishing. However, I don't get to fish very often since I live in Europe. When I retire or get back to the states, I've got a lot of fishing to catch up on.
    Beezow Doo-Doo Zopittybop-Bop-Bop, TSgt, USAF
    Deputy Executive Assistant for the Assistant Deputy Chief
    HQ COBRA
    867-5309
    :ranger

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do taskers on their behalf.

"The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life." -- Muhammad Ali

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer!"- Arnold Schwarzenegger

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I collect spores, molds, and fungus.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RFScott View Post
    Have you ever thought of taking up Ghost Busting as a hobby?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RFScott View Post
    That's very interesting. I read a lot myself.
    Beezow Doo-Doo Zopittybop-Bop-Bop, TSgt, USAF
    Deputy Executive Assistant for the Assistant Deputy Chief
    HQ COBRA
    867-5309
    :ranger

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do taskers on their behalf.

"The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life." -- Muhammad Ali

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer!"- Arnold Schwarzenegger

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tak View Post
    Coin collecting
    I'm a passive coin collector meaning I check my change for any interesting coins. When I was in my teens and through my 20s, I actively bought and sold coins. I have a couple of hundred of dollars in silver dimes, quarters, and dollars. My best coins are Carson City Silver Dollars I bought from the Mint in the 70s.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

My two primary hobbies are reading and bowling and during good weather I'll bicycle 20 plus miles a couple days a week.

On reading, I didn't have much time while in the AF to read so when I retired I took up pleasure reading. I tend to read 4 - 5 books a month. I tend to stick with crime genre but I also like science fiction. Almost all the books I read come from the local library so I don't have to spend much money other than $0.50 to put a book on hold. The library is a great resource for finding authors who write a series around a central character.

My other primary hobby is bowling. It's a fun sport that can be played at almost any age. I'm in two leagues and last year I had my best year in bowling averaging 203 and 198. This year is harder because the base lanes have a harder pattern and heavier oil. The other lanes, a civilian lane, has a mid-level pattern and the lanes are drier making the ball hook more and therefore more difficult to control.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tak View Post
    I'm not as bad as Owen but like him, I've never showed anyone my collection but the coins have dual value instead of just memories. I don't burden others by forcing them to see my collection. The collection is out of sight and mostly under lock and key. The good stuff will be hard to get at and the other stuff is mainly common coins like rolls of Wheat Stalk Pennies, silver dimes/quarters, etc.

Retired
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Without google...can you figure where I got my name?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Trail running and moutain biking. After moving to a cold climate, I started Jiu Jitsu (and competing) to keep me in shape over the long winters. Turned out I enjoyed it so much that I can't stop. I still trail run a bit but haven't gone mountain biking at all this summer.

My wife and I go motorcycle camping some but mostly spend all day saturday or sunday riding.