Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hobbies

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Hobbies

Quote Originally Posted by AlexCross View Post
    Without google...can you figure where I got my name?
    Wasn't there a novel/movie of the same name that was released recently? I think the movie had Tyler Perry in the titular role.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I got into BBQ/smoking meat a few years back. Built a smoker out of a 55 gallon drum and spend a lot of Sundays smoking pulled pork and brisket, trying to make it better than last week. We always have leftovers so we take them to the homeless shelter on Monday.

I'd say most of my "hobbies" are mine alone. I gotta have "me" time!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tak View Post
    I collected my whole life and my grandmother would send me stuff all the time. I always wanted to pass it on to my sons,
    but a few years back they all hated coin collecting, so I sold the collection for over $1000 on ebay and shipped in flat rate box.
    Now one of my sons loves collecting and I regret selling it. Lesson learned, kids change mind every 2 seconds!
    I had some real nice stuff too. I kept some of course, personal ones like a silver st patrick coin from ireland
    when my grandmother visited my great great grandmothers hometown there and sent currency from the town and
    wrote a little note about it. I used to always keep things 1964 and older in change, but it's all dried up now, too many
    collectors in it for money. I still have a passion for it though and I owe it to my grandmother.
    My mom had collected a bunch of silver coins in the 60s when the government moved from using silver to copper/nickel. After she and my dad passed away, the coins became mine because my mom wanted me to have them whereas my sister and brothers had the rest of their possession.

I sometimes get a silver coin in change and it easy for me to identify it. A couple of months ago I was at Costco and the cashier fumbled my change but caught it before it hit the counter and he said "That's luck" and gave me my change. I held up the only coin he gave back to me and said "No, this is luck" and showed him the silver dime he gave me. He and the bagger looked closely at the coin and the cashier said "Well, I gave it to you so I guess it's yours now."

I worked for K-Mart in the early 70s in the Jewelry Dept. and the women in the accounting/cash room knew I collected silver coins so they would be on the lookout for them because they didn't go through the coin-rolling machine. During the Christmas season, I needed to get a roll of dime for my till and I was going to pull a joke on Ralph, the camera dept. manager who also collected silver coins, by saying I got a roll of silver dimes. He was busy with the Kodak rep so I passed on the joke and went to the Service Desk for the roll of coins. I went back to my register and opened up the roll and 50-silver dimes fell out. I called Ralph over and he and the Kodak rep took a look and their jaws dropped. I had Ralph witness that bought the roll of dimes by placing a $5 bill in the register.

I still have those dimes 40 years later.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Without google...can you figure where I got my name?
    From James Patterson who write the Alex Cross detective novels. I've read everyone of his Alex Cross novel and I hope he'll write some more and improve on the stories because some of his later novel seemed to be either shortened or missing parts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Did you smoke before or after you pulled your pork?
    I see what you did there...

I actually smoke the whole time I play with my meat.

Retired
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My dad collected stamps. He invested thousands of dollars. My mom took them in to see how much they were worth this week and it wasn't even close to what he had spent.

Retired
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ebay may be way to go...
    A few years ago we sold a few boxes of old Playboys on Ebay. Don't remember how much we got for them but I remember that they were all still in the plastic.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I been collecting rocks/ semi precious stones for years.

I enjoy looking for them myself, but I have a very special collection of rocks that came from friends and family like a moss agate from the arctic circle or a lava rock from Mt. Vesuvius. In turn, my Dad gave me a couple dozen high-grade amethyst from Brazil that I enjoy passing on to others.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My dad collected stamps. He invested thousands of dollars. My mom took them in to see how much they were worth this week and it wasn't even close to what he had spent.
    My grandfather did too. Thousands of stamps, essentially worthless when appraised. My dad collected coins, with the exception of the few low circulation silver dimes and quarters, only worth face value. I collected comic books as a kid...had maybe 100 of them. In my 20's I had a dorm roommate that did too. I looked through is collector books to see if I had anything valuable...nope...most of them weren't even worth the purchase price.

I no longer collect things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hobbies w/ my daughter: Autocross, drag racing, building/modifying cars, cycling, shooting, coaching fastpitch softball(not really a hobbie), rock and gem collecting

Used to ride motorcycles, but am currently selling one so I can buy either ATV or racing go cart for daughter.