Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Naval commander and NCIS agent arrested in multi-million $$ bribery schemes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Naval commander and NCIS agent arrested in multi-million $$ bribery schemes

Pretty smart racket if you ask me... Take $$ to dock ships in the ports "serviced" by the briber....

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/18/justic...html?hpt=hp_t3

Make millions and only face five years?
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Re: Naval commander and NCIS agent arrested in multi-million $$ bribery schemes

Shame indeed.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pullinteeth View Post
    Pretty smart racket if you ask me... Take $$ to dock ships in the ports "serviced" by the briber....

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/18/justic...html?hpt=hp_t3

Yea.. 5 years for scamming millions. Yet someone selling 3 dime bags of coke gets 20. Something is off here.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    Yea.. 5 years for scamming millions. Yet someone selling 3 dime bags of coke gets 20. Something is off here.

Wow. Those are some real serious charges. And we're not talking about being relieved for fraternization or pulling on some Sailors's shirt. Talk about doing some real criminal acts and conspiracy .....sad though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    Best part? If they do it right, they can get sent to a cushy prison and have the $$ waiting for them when they get out. BTW, it is UP TO 5 years so they will probably get probation or community service....
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Add on to that him passing on info that a bad actor could use to set up a hit on a warship (although if you talk to the local talent on the street they probably already know your opschedule long before you do).

Agreed, can't we have something nice about the Navy? How about them assisting in a rescue or something?

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Best part? If they do it right, they can get sent to a cushy prison and have the $$ waiting for them when they get out. BTW, it is UP TO 5 years so they will probably get probation or community service....
    Which is part of why i see many DOING this type of fraud (or other).. Its a little smack on the wrist for punishment if at all. Perhaps if the punishments were more severe, people would be less likely to do it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Measure Man View Post
    True...in Korea, bar girls at Osan would tell us they're "going TDY to Pusan" when a ship was due in
    Same in Subic Bay - they not only knew when you were due in and headed out, they knew your OP schedule including all the changes your command hadn't told you about.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

It seems that way in every port. Speaking to the locals when our ship visited Haifa, Trieste, Marseille, heck even Corfu, the locals always seemed to know What ship was pulling in and when before those on the ship even got wind of it.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Not just millions, but hundreds of millions. Let's say it was 300 million, that way they each get 100 million.

Five years in prison for 100 million? Where do I sign up?
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males