Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shakens question of the day

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Shakens question of the day

Can a guy and girl just be friends? Can they see movies, have dinner, have a drink, or just hang out without it ever developing into something else? Do guys think that buying a girl a drink is a way to more?

Okay it is more than one question. But I have a friend who is a guy. We hang out a lot and have been for several months. Both recently divorced and just like hanging out. My coworkers say no guy goes out and hangs out with a girl just as friends without hopes of something more.

So what is the verdict? Will he continue to be my friend? Or will it get awkward at some
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Insert clever quote here...

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Re: Shakers question of the day

Quote Originally Posted by Shaken1976 View Post
    Can a guy and girl just be friends? Can they see movies, have dinner, have a drink, or just hang out without it ever developing into something else? Do guys think that buying a girl a drink is a way to more?

Okay it is more than one question. But I have a friend who is a guy. We hang out a lot and have been for several months. Both recently divorced and just like hanging out. My coworkers say no guy goes out and hangs out with a girl just as friends without hopes of something more.

So what is the verdict? Will he continue to be my friend? Or will it get awkward at some
    It's tough. I think he will continue to be your friend but, just remember, he is most likely thinking about wanting to take it further, one way or another. For instance, if he were to ask you to have sex, you'd probably say no. If you were to ask him, he'd do it in a heartbeat. So, yes, you can be friends and, hopefully, your friendship is strong enough for him to look past it being "just" a friendship. I'm not saying he is "hoping" for something more, but he's thinking about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I will answer your questions this way:

I have had friends that were girls, that I went to movies, played cards, went to holidays at each others houses...you know, friend stuff. I KNEW it was never ever going to be more than friendship, that the girl wasn't interested in me "that way" and never would be. Not a question in my mind. I still thought about having sex with them and wondered if we would ever be "more than friends." Of course, I kept these thoughts to myself, so the friendships never became awkward or wierd.

And every time, without fail...when one of these women got interested in a man...I was no summarily out of the picture.

This is just how it works, men think about sex a lot...women decide who gets it and when. Forgive my bluntness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes, guys and girls can just be friends. I lived with my (male) roommate for 2 years. We drank, went to dinner, cooked together, went to movies. I slept in his bed when the heat broke. He actually bathed me after I'd had way too much to drink, threw up on myself and could hardly open my eyes. He called when I didn't come home after crashing at the houses of other friends. He and I both married other people. Your coworkers are morons. Tell them to shove it and go get laid.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.

Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren’t.
    - Margaret Thatcher

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Enjoy the relationship for what it is. If you want to remain as friends, do not give this guy any false hope. It does not take a lot to give a guy false hope.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Ever seen the show "friend zone" on MTV? Oh man, it is great! I'm not sure if it is still on though. I have only seen a few episodes.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Shaken--

I've had several male friends that were just friends. So, I think it is possible to just be friends.

However, you never shared if you want more than just a friendship with your guy friend. If you want things to stay the same, then keep it there. If you want more, then make a move.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RS6405 View Post
    Shaken--

I've had several male friends that were just friends. So, I think it is possible to just be friends.

However, you never shared if you want more than just a friendship with your guy friend. If you want things to stay the same, then keep it there. If you want more, then make a move.
    It has been a crazy weird situation. Back in the day before everything went to hell we all hung out, husbands and wives and kids. But I was closer to his wife. Then around the same time both of us ended up divorced and both of our ex's moved. His kids live with his ex in another city. Our kids are the best of friends so whenever he has them we all get together and do stuff. We started hanging out more and more. He takes Trouble to do things and shows up for events at her school. Then he and I started hanging out without Trouble. I really value the friendship we have created and I REALLY appreciate all he has doen with Trouble. But I am not in any place to jump into anything romantic at this point. I am good with things the way they are.

On another note...he and I had a super long text conversation last night about another issue that his ex was creating by using me as the middle man. Something I am glad he never did. I talked to her about it too. I feel way less stressed now and am looking forward to next weekend when we get together.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Insert clever quote here...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Chicks will tell you yes it is possible. Any heterosexual male will say yeah it is possible but unless you are a hideous asexual troll, he is gonna think about knocking the dust off at some point... Doesn't mean you can't be friends but if you think it is strictly platonic, you are kidding yourself.
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings