Thread: Vatican: Celibacy in Catholic Church open for discussion

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Vatican: Celibacy in Catholic Church open for discussion

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Re: Vatican: Celibacy in Catholic Church open for discussion

MM,

I respect your views on so many topics, even if we have a difference of opinion. Your state above is the exception.

I can agree that humans have sexual urges and feel compelled to act on them. However, I refuse to believe that a vow of celibacy causes pediphillia, which is about the sexual attraction of a pre-pubescent child. (& acting on that attraction).

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RS6405 View Post
    MM,

I respect your views on so many topics, even if we have a difference of opinion. Your state above is the exception.

I can agree that humans have sexual urges and feel compelled to act on them. However, I refuse to believe that a vow of celibacy causes pediphillia, which is about the sexual attraction of a pre-pubescent child. (& acting on that attraction).
    Yeah, the two have nothing to do with each other. That's like saying that not drinking leads to robbing liquor stores.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

MM,

I agree with this.

There has been studies done on this by the vatican and independent observers and they show that pedophilia within priesthood is half the percentage that you see in the civilian population in the US. The problem during the pedophila scandal for the Church was the handling of the issue by some higher priest which was totally unjustifiable.

Where I grew up what I saw was a few preist giving up priesthood because they fell in love with some women but of course that doesn't make it to the news. I think it should be left to the priest to decide how they manage their servitude to God. This is not a new thing since priesthood comes in different "shapes and forms" already.IMO, adding non celibate priest to the Religious Order won't be something that will derail the mission of the Church much to the contrary it will add another perspective and much needed boost to the Church.
    Antes de que vengas a juzgarme por que escribo el inglés con errores te pregunto: Cuantos idiomas tu hablas?! Solo uno? Y vienes a juzgar mi inteligencia?! Por favor mirate en el espejo y veras en él reflejo la imagen clara de la estupidez...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Measure Man View Post
    I was raised Catholic, but don't claim to be one anymore. I must admit, I dig this new Pope's style.
    I was raised Catholic, and even as I'm retired now my dog tags still say Roman Catholic.

I may just return to the church with Pope Francis' direction. I believe that if a Priest is going to provide counseling (they do that), a married Priest would be better prepared to do so. If he gets rid of the whole birth control/abortion thing, I might be a Catholic again. Throw out the anti-gay thing, too, and I'll be back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rizzo77 View Post
    I was raised Catholic, and even as I'm retired now my dog tags still say Roman Catholic.

I may just return to the church with Pope Francis' direction. I believe that if a Priest is going to provide counseling (they do that), a married Priest would be better prepared to do so. If he gets rid of the whole birth control/abortion thing, I might be a Catholic again. Throw out the anti-gay thing, too, and I'll be back.
    Yeah Pope Francis has me quite puzzled. Everything from his time in Argentina gave the impression that he was going to be very conservative in regards to controversial social issues but everything he has said since assuming the papacy has been very refreshing borderline progressive. So far I like the direction he is taking the Church.
    Antes de que vengas a juzgarme por que escribo el inglés con errores te pregunto: Cuantos idiomas tu hablas?! Solo uno? Y vienes a juzgar mi inteligencia?! Por favor mirate en el espejo y veras en él reflejo la imagen clara de la estupidez...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

MM,

I have always thought that it is probably more a matter of the life attracting the type not causing the type. Maybe there are rare cases of the opposite but my feeling is it is just that, rare.

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TJMAC77SP View Post
    I have always thought that it is probably more a matter of the life attracting the type not causing the type. Maybe there are rare cases of the opposite but my feeling is it is just that, rare.
    I agree with that. Just like some go out of their way to be in a position ( scout leaders, teachers, babysitter etc.) to be around plenty of children.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch View Post
    There has been studies done on this by the vatican and independent observers and they show that pedophilia within priesthood is half the percentage that you see in the civilian population in the US.
    Very true. I'm atheist and not very fond of the Catholic Church, but pedophilia is actually a bigger problem among protestant churches... but the media doesn't report it nearly has much. Many of us don't realize this... but the Anglosphere is VERY anti-Catholic compared to the rest of the world. The way we report pedophilia in the Catholic church seems, by design, an attempt to "take them down"

About a year ago, a Methodist pastor in my area was arrested and convicted of pedophilia. We've there are more Catholic churches here than Methodist churches, and I have yet to see a local Catholic priest get accused of molesting children.

And then there was Eddie Long, the Baptist pastor.

By the way, the Orthodox churches (Greek, Russian, etc) don't require their priests to be celibate, but most actually choose to be.

I don't think that pedophilia really has anything to do with the Catholic church reviewing their celibacy rule. The problem is that there's an extreme shortage of priests; because no one wants to be one. Presumably, because of the celibacy requirement.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Measure Man View Post

If you had nothing to drink, don't you think you'd rob a liquor store?

No, I'd go buy some. It's perfectly legal. If not drinking was a choice, but I really had the urge, then there are several ways to get it without breaking the law.