Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rant of the day....feel free to share yours

Retired
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Rant of the day....feel free to share yours

My rant today is school fundraisers. We are selling pies and wrapping paper. No one wants to buy that crap from one kid...much less three. Then they bait the kids with parties and prizes so you feel bad if the kids don't sell stuff. Each kid has to sell 5 items to attend a pizza party. Might be no problem for some...but we have three kids. Not to mention other fundraisers we have coming up. Dance, soccer, and gymnastics.

End rant

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Rant of the day....feel free to share yours

Makes you feel like a bit of a heel doesn't it? Esp when you can't sell at work...
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Definitely hate that. Selling overpriced crap with short turnaround time. I remember buying some magazines for my nieces and never received them. Called the distributor and they said they never received the order. Contacted the school and of course they already cashed the checks. With help from the mag distributor, I got the bank to call it check fraud and got my money back. Of course the school denied any wrongdoing. In the end we took the nieces and had our own party at D&B's. They also, thankfully don't go to that school anymore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How about the scout popcorn sales, where it cost $55 for a $5 tin of popcorn!!!

Newbie - (Restricted)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I refuse to allow my kids to participate in the school fundraisers. I have him return that garbage to the teacher. I also don't attend the Local School Night at Sonic/Chick-fil-a/McDonalds. F..k you, school. You'll be getting my tax dollars long after my kids graduate from your school system, because I am a homeowner. I'd consider letting my child peddle your garbage if you tell me that 100% of the proceeds goes to teacher salary increases, and not some kind of new football stadium, sports uniforms, or random extravagance. Otherwise, kiss the fattest part of my a$$.

I also dislike people who sell bottled water/soda at street corners for fundraisers to send the local adult softball team to Orlando/Vegas for a tournament. If your team can't afford to go - DON'T F..KING PLAY.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

"Every society honors its live conformists and its dead troublemakers."
    ~Mignon McLaughlin

Retired
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BENDER56 View Post
    That is a pretty interesting read. I don't mind the involvement part..but it would be nice if we did better fundraisers.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AFcynic View Post
    I refuse to allow my kids to participate in the school fundraisers. I have him return that garbage to the teacher. I also don't attend the Local School Night at Sonic/Chick-fil-a/McDonalds. F..k you, school. You'll be getting my tax dollars long after my kids graduate from your school system, because I am a homeowner. I'd consider letting my child peddle your garbage if you tell me that 100% of the proceeds goes to teacher salary increases, and not some kind of new football stadium, sports uniforms, or random extravagance. Otherwise, kiss the fattest part of my a$$.

I also dislike people who sell bottled water/soda at street corners for fundraisers to send the local adult softball team to Orlando/Vegas for a tournament. If your team can't afford to go - DON'T F..KING PLAY.
    How do you feel about property taxes?

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I don't mind the fund raisers where the kids have to sell something. What I don't like is when the parents do the work for their kids. The parents will bring a signup list to work or a social gathering and expect people to fork over money so their kid will have the most sales. My policy for years has been if the kid isn't doing the asking and work then I won't buy anything.

Retired
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Measure Man View Post
    I don't mind the fundraisers...it's not just about the crap you get, it's about the kids setting a goal and going out and earning something...I'm glad to donate.

Last Thanksgiving our neighbor kid was selling pies...they were pretty good and saved us having to make a couple pies for T-day.
    I don't mind the idea behind it. I just don't like the way these things work now. Parents have to sell. We have three kids in the same school. All three have to sell stuff to get to go to the party. It would be so easy to sell three boxes of Worlds Finest Chocolate. 15 pies??? Not so easy.