Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Deployments and the Air Force Fitness Program

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    195
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Deployments and the Air Force Fitness Program

    I just have one question...

    How can Air Force leaders allow people who can't pass this test and/or exempted from every component, deploy to combat zones, yet not allow them to be considered for DSD, PME, or TA?

    What sense does this make?

  2. #2
    Banned sandsjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,984
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

    Re: Deployments and the Air Force Fitness Program

    Quote Originally Posted by StandardsAMust View Post
    I just have one question...

    How can Air Force leaders allow people who can't pass this test and/or exempted from every component, deploy to combat zones, yet not allow them to be considered for DSD, PME, or TA?

    What sense does this make?
    Right...they aren't "fit to fight" but they are sent to "fight" anyway.

    On the other hand, several people were using it to avoid deployments, last minute. I saw many times that a person in the shop would end up with 3 days to outprocess because the person who had been scheduled to go for the last 3 months all the sudden can't pass the last minute test.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    195
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Deployments and the Air Force Fitness Program

    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    Right...they aren't "fit to fight" but they are sent to "fight" anyway.

    On the other hand, several people were using it to avoid deployments, last minute. I saw many times that a person in the shop would end up with 3 days to outprocess because the person who had been scheduled to go for the last 3 months all the sudden can't pass the last minute test.
    People who want to avoid this PT test will want to deploy. The Air Force needs to address this. People who fail or are exempt, should not be allowed to deploy. I would bet that very few would fail the test on purpose to avoid deployments...at least not enough to make it an issue. Anyone failing the test should simply be dealt with accordingly...those with exemptions need to get their medical issues fixed first. Just make sense.

    After all, the program was designed to ensure our force is "fit to fight!" Yeah Right!

    There are alot of fatties at deployed locations...and they are not all Guard or Reserve...

    Another issue is that those who deploy can literally go years without testing...so those that fail and deploy can get really comfortable. I still don't know how we let people who cannot walk deploy...:unsure:

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Dayon, Ohio
    Posts
    1,244
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Re: Deployments and the Air Force Fitness Program

    Quote Originally Posted by StandardsAMust View Post
    People who want to avoid this PT test will want to deploy. The Air Force needs to address this. People who fail or are exempt, should not be allowed to deploy. I would bet that very few would fail the test on purpose to avoid deployments...at least not enough to make it an issue. Anyone failing the test should simply be dealt with accordingly...those with exemptions need to get their medical issues fixed first. Just make sense.

    After all, the program was designed to ensure our force is "fit to fight!" Yeah Right!

    There are alot of fatties at deployed locations...and they are not all Guard or Reserve...

    Another issue is that those who deploy can literally go years without testing...so those that fail and deploy can get really comfortable. I still don't know how we let people who cannot walk deploy...:unsure:
    One of the smartest people in my AFSC (finance) I ever met was a MSgt with two bum knees. For about 3-4 year he never took any sort of PT test then they discovered he could have been doing the walk test. For the last couple of years of his career he took the walk test and passed. Basically, from about his 16th-23rd year he never deployed and was on a constant profile. He was actually med boarded around 20 years and they returned him to duty. Of course he still couldn't deploy. Now here is the part I disagree with you on. This guy had been through a med board and they said he was fit to serve even though his knees are shot. My question to you is why can't he still deploy as finance?

    According to regulation his job as finance is to ensure that purchases meet regulatory guidance and to safeguard negotiable instruments. In the event that he was deployed and his base was overrun his first job is to destory all currency and negotiable instruments. After that his secondary duty would be to take a defensive position and attempt to fight off the enemy. Is there any reason that he needs to be able to run far in order to do any of that? For the most part his deployed job is to sit at a desk. Why should he be exempt from deploying while others go every other year just because they can run farther than him? I would agree with you that this particular person should have been med boarded. That already happened though and the AF decided he still had value to them. After he was returned to duty there is no reason he should not be able to go on a deployment just like anyone else in the AFSC.

  5. #5
    Senior Member efmbman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,042
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Re: Deployments and the Air Force Fitness Program

    Quote Originally Posted by SomeRandomGuy View Post
    This guy had been through a med board and they said he was fit to serve even though his knees are shot. My question to you is why can't he still deploy as finance?
    I asked a similar question in my Army days. The answer was basically that the goal is to deploy as fit a force as possible to minimize any drain on the medical system in theater. The medical system in theater is there for routine, acute conditions troops may have not long lasting chronic conditions. In addition, the medical system in theater is structured to deal with combat casualties (our own and Allies) as well as for EPW and civilians if authorized.
    When things go wrong in your command, start searching for the reason in increasingly larger concentric circles around your own desk.
    -GEN Bruce C. Clarke

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Right about.....HERE
    Posts
    1,671
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Deployments and the Air Force Fitness Program

    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    Right...they aren't "fit to fight" but they are sent to "fight" anyway.

    On the other hand, several people were using it to avoid deployments, last minute. I saw many times that a person in the shop would end up with 3 days to outprocess because the person who had been scheduled to go for the last 3 months all the sudden can't pass the last minute test.
    How does that work? Unless you have more people wanting to deploy than you have slots, failure of the FTF doesn't prevent you from deploying. To get out of a deployment, you would have to be non-current.
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

    --Barak Obama


    You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

    Lord of the Pings

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    195
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Deployments and the Air Force Fitness Program

    Quote Originally Posted by Pullinteeth View Post
    How does that work? Unless you have more people wanting to deploy than you have slots, failure of the FTF doesn't prevent you from deploying. To get out of a deployment, you would have to be non-current.
    What's the purpose of being current to deploy if they let you deploy with a fail anyway?

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Right about.....HERE
    Posts
    1,671
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Deployments and the Air Force Fitness Program

    Quote Originally Posted by StandardsAMust View Post
    What's the purpose of being current to deploy if they let you deploy with a fail anyway?
    Shows you exactly how "Fit to Fight" you REALLY have to be doesn't it?
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

    --Barak Obama


    You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

    Lord of the Pings

  9. #9
    Senior Member BRUWIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,119
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Deployments and the Air Force Fitness Program

    Fail PT test and deployment should be the first corrective action. Everybody loses weight on deployment. I'm a civilian now and I volunteered to deploy in Nov...gonna drop the 25 pounds I've gained since retiring while I'm there. It's gonna feel good to have the time to actually PT properly again.
    "Respect My Authoritah!" - Eric Cartman

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    195
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Deployments and the Air Force Fitness Program

    Quote Originally Posted by BRUWIN View Post
    Fail PT test and deployment should be the first corrective action. Everybody loses weight on deployment. I'm a civilian now and I volunteered to deploy in Nov...gonna drop the 25 pounds I've gained since retiring while I'm there. It's gonna feel good to have the time to actually PT properly again.
    That just defies logic. If this is the case, then just get rid of this program. While I will agree that some who deploy set fitness goals, you know just as well as me that most don't. There are usually two categories. Hunks and Chunks. Some get fat too from the all u can eat DFACs.

    At some deployed locations you can get two more categories. Punks and Drunks.

    Anyway, people who can't take the full test should not be allowed to deploy. Why do we need to send handicaps or our PT failures down range? It defies logic.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •