Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deployments and the Air Force Fitness Program

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Deployments and the Air Force Fitness Program

Quote Originally Posted by StandardsAMust View Post
    That just defies logic. If this is the case, then just get rid of this program. While I will agree that some who deploy set fitness goals, you know just as well as me that most don't. There are usually two categories. Hunks and Chunks. Some get fat too from the all u can eat DFACs.

At some deployed locations you can get two more categories. Punks and Drunks.

Anyway, people who can't take the full test should not be allowed to deploy. Why do we need to send handicaps or our PT failures down range? It defies logic.
    My last deployment was to PSAB in 2001. I came back in the best shape of my life. At that time we did not have a PT test. The AF said we did but I never knew anybody to fail it. When you are working 12 to 14 hours a day it was good to go to the gym and unwind. I do not agree with allowing someone not to deploy if the fail a PT test. Test them again when they get back.

When I was stationed at McGuire they handle it a lot different. We had some good TDYs 90 days to Sigonella Italy and 90 day trips to Rota Spain. If you were on the fat boy program or had a UIF file you could not go to Italy or Spain but we sure would send you’re happy as to the PSAB or Hondo. I still think Hondo is the best kept secret in the AF but that’s another thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BRUWIN View Post
    Fail PT test and deployment should be the first corrective action. Everybody loses weight on deployment. I'm a civilian now and I volunteered to deploy in Nov...gonna drop the 25 pounds I've gained since retiring while I'm there. It's gonna feel good to have the time to actually PT properly again.
    That is a GREAT idea... They could change the program from Fit TO Fight to Fit OR Fight.
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by StandardsAMust View Post
    That just defies logic. If this is the case, then just get rid of this program. While I will agree that some who deploy set fitness goals, you know just as well as me that most don't. There are usually two categories. Hunks and Chunks. Some get fat too from the all u can eat DFACs.

At some deployed locations you can get two more categories. Punks and Drunks.

Anyway, people who can't take the full test should not be allowed to deploy. Why do we need to send handicaps or our PT failures down range? It defies logic.
    You know as well as I do that 99.9 percent of those that deploy don't need to be in shape...they just need to be able to do their job, and that has nothing to do with being in shape. So deploy them. Lets not pretend those in the AF need to be in great shape to avoid being killed in combat. You can't outrun indirect fire when you don't know where it's headed and you sure as hell don't outrun IEDs.
    "Respect My Authoritah!" - Eric Cartman

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BRUWIN View Post
    You know as well as I do that 99.9 percent of those that deploy don't need to be in shape...they just need to be able to do their job, and that has nothing to do with being in shape. So deploy them. Lets not pretend those in the AF need to be in great shape to avoid being killed in combat. You can't outrun indirect fire when you don't know where it's headed and you sure as hell don't outrun IEDs.
    A buddy of mine was on a profile for his back. They were looking at boarding him because he couldn't deploy, but his doctor pointed out that he COULD deploy to do his job within his career field, he just couldn't deploy to fill a slot with the Army. So the board didn't happen, he continued on and is now nearing 20 years.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Measure Man View Post
    That would be like staying in a Bed OR Breakfast.
    Glad we chose bed...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I had a couple tubs of goo working for me when deployed but only one was an actual fitness failure. The Wing had a mandatory fitness program for them. Couldn't MAKE them test for real but they couldn't get off the program until they passed. About 3-4 months in, he finally passed. Immediately got a bucket of fried chicken and ate the whole thing. I am 98% sure he left the AOR FATTER than he was when he arrived...
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings