Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: An Open Letter to the FY2014 Chief Selectees.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Re: An Open Letter to the FY2014 Chief Selectees.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    That's one thing I liked about the Marine Corps. By looking at a Marine's uniform, you can't tell what their MOS is or what unit they're assigned to, or even what type of unit it is. You'll also never find a bumper sticker on a Marine's car that identifies these things either.

Seems to me that the man doesn’t make the uniform; the uniform makes the man. This is exactly why the Navy should have stuck to its guns when it came to the uniform changes made by Adm Zumwalt.
    True fact, there are a couple of things that can help narrow it down: Aircrew Wings, EOD insignia etc. I had jump wings and a scuba badge which made it pretty obvious what I did.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Bosun View Post
    There are some that will refuse to participate in the Chief whatever the blazes the MCPON wants to call it this year. That is fine, their choice. Don't you dare treat them as anything but a Chief, especially outside the door of the Mess, or allow any other Chief to do so. The other Sailors see that sort of thing happen, and they will jump right on it to divide us against ourselves. Genuine or Non-Genuine, you need to present a united front outside the door. That comment comes from a Genuine Chief Petty Officer.
    Boats – your message sounds pretty good except for this paragraph. By referencing the “Genuine or Non-Genuine” you are thereby creating a dividing line, a distinction, a difference. And thought I don’t think initiation is the one and only major determining factor for what makes a good Chief…I do question why some didn’t/don’t choose to include themselves in the activities. I thought it was all fun! Senseless as much of it ‘appears’ to be, I finally found the value in all of it on my September 16th when I read the Chief’s creed. Looking back at my initiation I thought “That was easy. Even if you don’t particularly agree with it…why not just do it in order to forgo the shunning going forward.” What makes those who don’t do it so special?

Dan
    CTOC(AW), USN, Retired

Recruit Training Command (Company 50), Orlando, FL Dec 1981-Jan 1982; CTO "A" and "C" schools NTTC Corry Station, Pensacola, FL Feb-Oct 1982; USS Saratoga (CV-60) 1982-1985; USS Forrestal (CV-59) 1985-1988; ONI Det Naval War College, Newport, RI 1988-1991; NAVSECGRUACT Terceira Island, Azores, Portugal 1991-1992; NAVSECGRUACT Rota, Spain 1992-1995; National Security Agency, Fort Meade, MD 1995-1998; USS John F. Kennedy (CV-67) 1998-2001.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by forcedj View Post
    Boats – your message sounds pretty good except for this paragraph. By referencing the “Genuine or Non-Genuine” you are thereby creating a dividing line, a distinction, a difference. And thought I don’t think initiation is the one and only major determining factor for what makes a good Chief…I do question why some didn’t/don’t choose to include themselves in the activities. I thought it was all fun! Senseless as much of it ‘appears’ to be, I finally found the value in all of it on my September 16th when I read the Chief’s creed. Looking back at my initiation I thought “That was easy. Even if you don’t particularly agree with it…why not just do it in order to forgo the shunning going forward.” What makes those who don’t do it so special?

Dan
    Dan -

I agree. In retrospect, I did enjoy going through the process, and it never entered my mind to voluntarily not take part, although I almost was forced to on the last night due to a potential family emergency involving a child away at college.

I used the phrase I did as it was one I heard on occasion during my initiation when it came to discussing Chiefs that were initiated and those that were not, and not in a neutral manner.

In my time both before and after I got my anchors, I saw on more than one occasion where some Chiefs would draw a line between those who took part, and those who didn't, and it was a distinct line. One extreme case I heard about from some of the old-timers at work was where the CPO Mess at the time made it a point to shun one who did not in public. Now, in all fairness, there may have been something unrelated to initiation that brought this situation about. I don't know. I do know that sort of thing is harmful to good order and discipline, and we cannot tolerate that. I brought it up in order to head off the same potential issue with the newest group coming onboard in their dealings with anyone that chose not to take part. We have enough issues already as a Mess without having that black water spilling all over the place.