Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Clint Bowyer

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Re: Clint Bowyer

Quote Originally Posted by RFScott View Post
    Also, "The Intimidator" was Dale Earnhardt, not Darrell Waltrip. And AA says he is from North Carolina....
    I'm sensing that he did that on purpose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AFcynic View Post
    My question is this: Why do you consider NASCAR to be a sport?

What kind of athletic skill does it take to turn left all day?
    How does one go to the gym to prepare for a race?

I'll give you the competition aspect of NASCAR. It's highly competitive, but so is beer pong and bowling. I've heard the "they endure a lot of gravitational force", and the "it's really hot in that car" arguments. Pilots endure a lot of gravitational forces, but flying airplanes isn't a sport. I'll concur that they endure a lot to finish a race, but is NASCAR really a sport? Are the drivers really athletes?

I'd like to read your thoughts on this.

'Merica - Canada's Mexico
    What about the pilots who compete in air racing competitions such as the Red Bull Series? I am just curious if you would consider that a sport.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    I'm sensing that he did that on purpose.
    At first I was skeptical....then I realized who posted it....

Damn you AA.

Newbie - (Restricted)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's a competition, but it's not a sport. Competition alone does not make an event a sport. I'm not trying to come off as condescending, but that's just my opinion on the matter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What Clint Boyer did was only a problem if your driver was affected. I see it as no more than helping out a teammate. Even bringing Vickers in was strategy to help the teammate.
    If Boyer would have taken out another driver who would have otherwise taken a position from a teammate, that would be a problem. But as it stands now, I don't see a problem with it other than the Golden Boy Jeff Gordon didn't make the chase.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Giant Voice View Post
    The only thing I don't like about the chase is the fact that non-chase drivers can still have a say in the outcome(crash a Chase guy out). If I were running it, there would be 2 races on Sunday...both 200 lap/mile sprints. One for the non-Chase guys so they can go nuts(and still get owner points), and one for the Chase guys(My chase setup would be top 15-18 drivers).
    This is only one of the many reasons you aren't running the chase.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's a competition, but it's not a sport. Competition alone does not make an event a sport. I'm not trying to come off as condescending, but that's just my opinion on the matter.
    I get where you are coming from; I've often thought about the distinction myself. I was just curious since you had asked about what kind of physical preparation is required for a NASCAR driver. I cannot speak for the drivers, but I know that the pilots in the air racing circuit have to do some grueling workouts to be able to retain consciousness during some of their high-G turns.

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RFScott View Post
    At first I was skeptical....then I realized who posted it....

Damn you AA.
    Charlie the Tuna told me to tell you, "Hi"

Attachment 3353

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I think I agree with you here but the line between competition and sport is very blurred. It seems like a lot of people would say sports are events where the objective of the game is soemthing entirely made up (take an oblong ball 100 yards without your opponent tackling you) versus a competition is where you attempt to do somewhat ordinary tasks (driving) better than your opponents. Even that definiton has its own holes though. Is golf a sport? What about bowling? Under my definitoon both of those qualify as sport because the objective is something entirely made up and almost completely pointless. My definition does help on other things though. I think most people would agree that Math League is probably a competition and not a sport. In that case the competitors are seeing who is best at any everyday activity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SomeRandomGuy View Post
    I think I agree with you here but the line between competition and sport is very blurred. It seems like a lot of people would say sports are events where the objective of the game is soemthing entirely made up (take an oblong ball 100 yards without your opponent tackling you) versus a competition is where you attempt to do somewhat ordinary tasks (driving) better than your opponents. Even that definiton has its own holes though. Is golf a sport? What about bowling? Under my definitoon both of those qualify as sport because the objective is something entirely made up and almost completely pointless. My definition does help on other things though. I think most people would agree that Math League is probably a competition and not a sport. In that case the competitors are seeing who is best at any everyday activity.
    ESPN shows spelling bees.