Thread: High school sports.

Retired
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

High school sports.

What are the big high school sports in your area? Here it is foot ball. Friday Night Football is HUGE. Parents are INTENSE. Even the stuff that goes along with it all is pretty crazy. Dance team and cheerleading competitions are a big thing.

Mine are too young for high school. But if they keep track with the way they are going I will have two on the dance team and one in soccer.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Re: High school sports.

Funny. I live in a state that's surrounded by two states where basketball is a religion (Kentucky and North Carolina), yet people here in Virginia - at least in Hampton Roads - mostly follow football. Then again, because of the high military presence here... the Hampton Roads area is probably last place in the state that you'd want to consider a microcosm.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: High school sports.

In the Charlotte, NC area it seems like football has become the biggest sport. As Rusty already pointed out, basketball is huge in North Carolina too, but over the last 5-10 years football has dominated the local papers with the CBS affiliate here also producing a Friday night football highlight show for regional games. Interest in football really seemed to grow around 2003-2004, as one local school, Independence, was steamrolling the competition all over the state and had a roster laden with a quarterback who led the Florida Gators to a national title (Chris Leak), with his backup going on to start for the Georgia Bulldogs (Joe Cox), and two receivers who made it to the NFL (Hakeem Nicks and Mohammed Massaquoi).