Data pulled straight from AFFMS as of 5 Sep 13:

FITNESS READINESS STATUS
Current 291992 (89.3%)
Exempt 11612 (3.6%)
Unsatisfactory 17767 (5.4%)
Never Tested 5637 (1.7%)
Total 327008 100%

AEROBIC TEST (see note at bottom)
1.5 Mile 246848 (84.5%)
Sub maximal 15159 (5.2%)
Component Aerobic
Exemption 29985 (10.3%)
Total 291992 100%

COMPONENT EXEMPTION
Abdominal 80 (0.0%)
Aerobic 29985 (10.3%)
Sit-ups 23004 (7.9%)
Push-ups 24968 (8.6%)


Air Force says 98% pass rate...AFFMS says otherwise.

The failure rate is currently 5% (this is a bit misleading too)...now, look at the cardio exemption rate...it's about 20%. Add those together and you could easily have near a 25% failure rate. Put in some p/u and s/u and the failure rate could rise close to 30%.

Bottom line, lots of people exempt from parts of the test...even 80 people are exempt from the waist...so, we have 80 people with "holes" in their abdomen or some sort of surgical procedure.

17,700 people failed over the past 90 days...it is estimated that 81,000 people took the test during this same time period....that results in a 22% fail rate. That makes a bit more sense and is alarming too.

Upon further examination of the numbers, 65,000 people did not run or walk on their last assessment...this is about 20% of the force. 327,008 - 246848 + 15159 (walk test) = 20% complete cardio exemption...that's 1 in 5 members.