Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car, Bike, Boat or Travel?

Retired
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Car, Bike, Boat or Travel?

If you had the money or if you have already invested your money in one... Tell us why?

Me personally even if I like two out of the four (Travel and Boat) I think when I retire I'm just going to travel. I want to go all over the world and experience different things, different cultures may be for a few days maybe for a few months maybe permanently... But that's why I envision myself doing once I retired.

Your thoughts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Car, Bike, Boat or Travel?

This one's easy...travel! If I had the money 1) take one year and follow my football team around the country in a RV. 2)Take one year and follow NASCAR around the country for one year in a RV. 3) Invest in a lower tiered race team and go with them around the country.

Buying an awesome exotic car would be cool, but the effect would last only a little while. Buying an awesome luxury boat would be awesome as well, but it would take a tremendous amount of commitment to travek with one.

I have a bike..losing enthusiasm with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
    If you had the money or if you have already invested your money in one... Tell us why?

Me personally even if I like two out of the four (Travel and Boat) I think when I retire I'm just going to travel. I want to go all over the world and experience different things, different cultures may be for a few days maybe for a few months maybe permanently... But that's why I envision myself doing once I retired.

Your thoughts?
    Don't you use a car, bike, and boat to travel?
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Most of my traveling is by motorcycle.
    I've wanted to move to a country (there are very few now) where I could live very well off my military retirement. My wife has this notion that she needs to be "productive". We disagree on that but she is the boss.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I have thought many times about getting a boat (cabin cruiser type) but I fear the maintenance. Can anyone who has a boat lend their experience?
    When things go wrong in your command, start searching for the reason in increasingly larger concentric circles around your own desk.
    -GEN Bruce C. Clarke

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by efmbman View Post
    I have thought many times about getting a boat (cabin cruiser type) but I fear the maintenance. Can anyone who has a boat lend their experience?
    I don't have a boat, but there are two pretty popular quotes about boats:

"It's better to be the friend of a boat owner than an actual boat owner."

"The happiest days in the life of a boat owner are the day they buy it and the day they sell it."

That said, I'd love to have one. Not huge, maybe 19" or something. Enough to sit 3 or 4 comfortably for fishing. So out of the OP's choices, I'd go with boat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    I don't have a boat, but there are two pretty popular quotes about boats:

"It's better to be the friend of a boat owner than an actual boat owner."

"The happiest days in the life of a boat owner are the day they buy it and the day they sell it."

That said, I'd love to have one. Not huge, maybe 19" or something. Enough to sit 3 or 4 comfortably for fishing. So out of the OP's choices, I'd go with boat.
    Or...

B.O.A.T.=Break Out Another Thousand
    Boat=Hole in the water you throw money into.
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yeah, that's what I thought. I am in New England for now, so I would not get a boat here. Once winter arrives, it is an added expense to pull it out of the water and store it. I would only get a boat if I was in a climate that allowed for boating year-round.

My other choice would be the RV. But again, I am not sure on the best course of action. Bus-type rig or large pick-up pulling a 5th wheel trailer?
    When things go wrong in your command, start searching for the reason in increasingly larger concentric circles around your own desk.
    -GEN Bruce C. Clarke

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

I plan on getting a sailboat some time in the near future. You can get a used one for about the same price as a used car; so that's where I'm going to start out.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post

Your thoughts?
    My boats a 14 foot cheap jon boat. I have a blast with it and have no boat payment. TravelI work for US Airways Express so anywhere US Airways flys I fly for free. When I retire from US Airways Express I keep flight bennies so I love to go back to Europe again and just chill.