Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Walmart hiring process

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Walmart hiring process

Not sure who knows this and who doesn't, but I'm going through a veterans hiring process right now with Walmart. They GUARANTEE a position at a store in your area if you are a veteran who's been honorably discharged within the last 12 months. Pretty good deal, I think.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Re: Walmart hiring process

I work on Veteran's Issues for my boss. I have some hard copy stuff and there is a link:

http://walmartcareerswithamission.com/

Feel free if anyone has any questions about stuff like this to PM me.

Retired
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stalwart View Post
    I work on Veteran's Issues for my boss. I have some hard copy stuff and there is a link:

http://walmartcareerswithamission.com/

Feel free if anyone has any questions about stuff like this to PM me.
    This would be good info for the Resources section. Not the whole post...but just this link.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    Not sure who knows this and who doesn't, but I'm going through a veterans hiring process right now with Walmart. They GUARANTEE a position at a store in your area if you are a veteran who's been honorably discharged within the last 12 months. Pretty good deal, I think.
    Far be it from me to tell you where and where not to work, but... is that going to cover the difference between your active duty and retired pay? And are you going to be happy working at Walmart?
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    Far be it from me to tell you where and where not to work, but... is that going to cover the difference between your active duty and retired pay? And are you going to be happy working at Walmart?
    Absolutely. Between my pension, my wife's pension, and at least minimum wage with at least 30 hours a week, we'll be making what we were making before I retired. And I will be very happy working there. A job with little responsibility where I come in and do what I'm told sounds pretty good to me.

Also, the nice thing about it is once you're a Walmart employee, you can be "transferred" to other stores, so if we decide to move I can get a job making at least the same wage.

It's pretty simple. You fill out a form on their site (and upload your DD214, they call, ask a few questions about what you'd like to do in the store, you take a 65 question "quiz" with the usual questions, then they place you based on those answers.

Even if it wasn't something I'd like to do, there are several people, as 20+ mentioned, who get out early in their careers and need to find a job. Hell, you can even request part time, while using your GI bill to go to school, and the GUARANTEE you a job in your area.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thats pretty damn cool actually. We have first term enlistees who get out all the time with no real plans for the future. They will toss you the line of they are going to go to school, or have a job lined up which in reality means, "I'm going home to my parents". A guaranteed job is at least an income to get things going on. For all the hate I have for Walmart after ole Sam died, I say "well done"!
    Advice from JD2780:

"don't post angry"

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 20+Years View Post
    Thats pretty damn cool actually. We have first term enlistees who get out all the time with no real plans for the future. They will toss you the line of they are going to go to school, or have a job lined up which in reality means, "I'm going home to my parents". A guaranteed job is at least an income to get things going on. For all the hate I have for Walmart after ole Sam died, I say "well done"!
    Agree...I'm surprised it didn't get more press.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Agree...I'm surprised it didn't get more press.
    It got 'some', know the VFW, FRA and a couple of other vet's groups that put it out. But overall I don't think it was mainstream enough to get mentioned on the nightly news.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stalwart View Post
    It got 'some', know the VFW, FRA and a couple of other vet's groups that put it out. But overall I don't think it was mainstream enough to get mentioned on the nightly news.
    Especially in this job market (though I must say I'm not seeing a shortage in my area). Again, the catch is that you have to have been discharged within the last year but, hell, even if it's only a temporary thing to earn some cash while you search for a "real" job.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Especially in this job market (though I must say I'm not seeing a shortage in my area). Again, the catch is that you have to have been discharged within the last year but, hell, even if it's only a temporary thing to earn some cash while you search for a "real" job.
    So someone discharged say in Jan 2012 (well over a year ago) is not guarenteed a job? Swell.