Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Walmart hiring process

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Re: Walmart hiring process

Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    And that's exactly why we have so many unemployed people. Because jobs like that are scoffed at by "professionals". For a career counselor to tell anyone who is trying to get a job anywhere that it's not a good path should cost that counselor their job.
    ...not exactly. It's that career counselor's job to try to get you to reenlist. That means that he's going to put down whatever it is that you want to do, to make reenlisting look like the better option.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    ...not exactly. It's that career counselor's job to try to get you to reenlist. That means that he's going to put down whatever it is that you want to do, to make reenlisting look like the better option.
    I guess career counselors must be different in the Air Force, cuz never once did one try to get me to reenlist. They explained my options, but that was about it. And I didn't feel that it made reenlisting look like the better option. It just showed that the military has a lot of awesome benefits which, really, can't be argued.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I guess career counselors must be different in the Air Force, cuz never once did one try to get me to reenlist. They explained my options, but that was about it. And I didn't feel that it made reenlisting look like the better option. It just showed that the military has a lot of awesome benefits which, really, can't be argued.
    Probably because with the exception of a very small window of time a few years ago, the AF has had no trouble getting recruits since the inception of the all volunteer military.

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TJMAC77SP View Post
    Probably because with the exception of a very small window of time a few years ago, the AF has had no trouble getting recruits since the inception of the all volunteer military.
    No doubt about that...

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

I don't think this is why. Even when the Navy is downsizing, career counselors are the exact same way.

I dunno, I guess the Navy would rather kick people out than have people leave on their own.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Especially in this job market (though I must say I'm not seeing a shortage in my area). Again, the catch is that you have to have been discharged within the last year but, hell, even if it's only a temporary thing to earn some cash while you search for a "real" job.
    So someone discharged say in Jan 2012 (well over a year ago) is not guarenteed a job? Swell.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    So someone discharged say in Jan 2012 (well over a year ago) is not guarenteed a job? Swell.
    That is correct...as far as I know. I guess they figure that someone who received an honorable within the last 12 months hasn't had time to go out and get in too much trouble, or haven't lost that military "discipline". Not sure on the reasoning. I guess they had to draw a line somewhere. Otherwise, they'd have to create a lot of slots to hire all honorably discharged veterans from forever.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I remember when every AF squadron had a career advisor (an additional duty -- not a billet). Then they did away with them and we had a wing-level career assistance something-or-other. My last four years of AD were in a training squadron on a Navy base -- so I don't know; does the AF even still have career advisors?
    "Every society honors its live conformists and its dead troublemakers."
    ~Mignon McLaughlin

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The unit career advisor (SNCO) maintained a green folder on first term Airmen. This was a carryover of the unit reenlistment NCO duty the Army has.
    Mandatory annual counseling on benefits, etc. Also your POC for retraining, reenlistment questions. AF did away with the additional duty as it is the duty of all supervisors. Decade or two later (after supervisors were failing in this responsibility) the CAA position, along with FTAC, NCOPE, SNCOPE, etc. were created.
    "Never force a fart in Djibouti"..."Always marry your second wife first"..."If anyone says that you're not a team player, maybe they're on the wrong team"..."You can gold plate a turd and it's still a turd"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Not sure who knows this and who doesn't, but I'm going through a veterans hiring process right now with Walmart. They GUARANTEE a position at a store in your area if you are a veteran who's been honorably discharged within the last 12 months. Pretty good deal, I think.
    I went through their normal hiring process. Seemed quicker than the hire veterans one. I've been with them for 2 months now, not bad just be prepared to dumb yourself down a bit.