Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Walmart hiring process

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Re: Walmart hiring process

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, it's their lives and they don't have to justify to anyone what they're doing or give anyone an answer that the person asking the question deems "good enough."

For some... all they know is that they don't want to be in the military anymore. And that's not a bad thing.
    Either way, it's pretty cool for a company to do this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I agree that its thier life, but that doesn't mean I won't give them advice if it is warranted. I would like and hope that if they leave the military they are going on to a better and brighter future. Thier answer does not have to be "good enough" for me, it has to be "good enough" for them. After you hold a job working with first term Airmen who are seperating (as I have) you would soon learn that some of them have no skills in planning for the future. If you were a recruiter, you would see how many Airmen come in that want to get back in (and sadly can't).

I would also respectfully discuss the other side of your comment, "For some... all they know is that they don't want to be in the military anymore. And that's not a bad thing."

Some of the folks who "know" they don't want to be in the military anymore are married with two kids. Spouse has no job (nor wants one), no extra income, sponsors job doesn't translate to a civilian job, no savings, no education... just doesn't want a boss telling them what to do anymore. Its those situations I hated to see.

Getting out isn't always the best answer either...
    Advice from JD2780:

"don't post angry"

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

:focus :ban

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    :focus :ban
    I'm not worried about that. I'm going to do what I feel comfortable doing and not let the threat of a ban scare me.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Not a Wal-Mart fan but that is pretty cool...
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 20+Years View Post

Some of the folks who "know" they don't want to be in the military anymore are married with two kids. Spouse has no job (nor wants one), no extra income, sponsors job doesn't translate to a civilian job, no savings, no education... just doesn't want a boss telling them what to do anymore. Its those situations I hated to see.

Getting out isn't always the best answer either...
    And if they don't want a boss telling them what to do, then why should we want them to stay in? They're only going to become a bigger problem. For example, the guy who reenlisted against his own better judgement because he was under pressure from his wife and his career counselor. We've now got a disgruntled NCO in the shop. Not only is he affecting the shop; but he also resents his wife for it and goes home everyday pissed off, reminding her that it's her fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Measure Man View Post
    It's not bad that they don't want to be in the military. I'd say it is bad if that's all they know.
    I knew a guy who got out and ended being a hobo... working odd jobs, and going where the wind took him. And you know something else? He flat out told the chain of command that he was going to do that until he found something; and he said this with a certain type of conviction and sternness that flat out dared his chain of command to try to talk him out of it.

For me, having a boss wasn't the issue. Feeling like I had no control over my life was. I've been to places where I loved my chain of command and had absolutely no problem with anyone in it. But the feeling of not having control over my life was still there.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How the hell did I end up having this discussion? My initial point was, for those with no plan, Walmart made a viable option. Way to be Walmart!
    Advice from JD2780:

"don't post angry"

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

How the hell did I end up having this discussion? My initial point was, for those with no plan, Walmart made a viable option. Way to be Walmart!
    +1 internets to you...

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

I can only imagine how most career counselors are going to respond to a first termer telling them that they're going to get a job at Walmart.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    I can only imagine how most career counselors are going to respond to a first termer telling them that they're going to get a job at Walmart.
    And that's exactly why we have so many unemployed people. Because jobs like that are scoffed at by "professionals". For a career counselor to tell anyone who is trying to get a job anywhere that it's not a good path should cost that counselor their job.