Thread: Question about forum tabs.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Question about forum tabs.

If I do nothing but click "New Posts" when I log in, am I shown ALL threads that have had new posts or are there several I will miss? It seems that I've missed tons of stuff even though I check in here most days. What constitutes what goes into the "New Posts" link?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Question about forum tabs.

It 'should' show you all new posts regardless of Forum (unless you have the poster on ignore.) that only goes so far back and there is a clicky at the bottom left (on my screen) that says "more activity" that adds further history.

I do pretty much the same thing you do, just using the "what's new?" tab. It is easiest for me as well. I haven't noticed missing anything, but if I did how would I know I guess?
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I always use the "New Posts" link. From my experience, it shows all new posts since the last time you viewed the forum. I have never had anyone on ignore, so I can't speak about if it excludes those. I view at work and log off. I get home and log on, only those posts since I last view at work are displayed.

If you want to see more there is another way. Click on the large "FORUM" tab. Click on the "Quick Links". One of the choices is "Today's Posts" which will show everything done today, not just the ones you have not seen.
    When things go wrong in your command, start searching for the reason in increasingly larger concentric circles around your own desk.
    -GEN Bruce C. Clarke

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by efmbman View Post
    I always use the "New Posts" link. From my experience, it shows all new posts since the last time you viewed the forum. I have never had anyone on ignore, so I can't speak about if it excludes those. I view at work and log off. I get home and log on, only those posts since I last view at work are displayed.

If you want to see more there is another way. Click on the large "FORUM" tab. Click on the "Quick Links". One of the choices is "Today's Posts" which will show everything done today, not just the ones you have not seen.
    Thanks.

Administrator
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Actually, SJ, "New Posts" only shows you new posts in threads that you've shown an interest in, either by viewing or commenting in them.

"What's new" is what @Mjölnir is referring to which shows you all new content wherever it is from.

You can also click "forum" and be shown a screen with ALL the forums in it. In this main listings area you can dive into other forums and any topic for which you have not yet read the newest content will have a bold title.
    - ForumAdmin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

oh ... I guess I don't do what SJ does.

What's New? is what I use, since it is across all forums.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourne View Post
    Actually, SJ, "New Posts" only shows you new posts in threads that you've shown an interest in, either by viewing or commenting in them.
    When I use "New Posts", I see all new posts since the last time I viewed the forum. Not just threads in which I commented or previously viewed. Seriously.
    When things go wrong in your command, start searching for the reason in increasingly larger concentric circles around your own desk.
    -GEN Bruce C. Clarke

Administrator
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes, efmbman is right, it is based on your last visit, I was incorrect.
    However, I'm thinking its not complete... Maybe you guys uncovered a bug. I'll look into it.
    - ForumAdmin

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

When I click new posts, it brings up everything since the last time I clicked "Mark Forums Read". At that point, it removes all the threads from the "New Posts" section. For instance, right now, on my New Post page it goes back to the thread about Service Dogs, which last had a post at 5:27 PM pacific time yesterday. I have viewed much stuff since then. Maybe it's because I don't actually "log off". I just close the window with login info saved so I don't have to remember another freakin password. Now, once I click "Mark Forums Read" the new posts will start from there, but seems to miss a thread here or there. Nothing serious. It's not rocket surgery for me to go through the forum link to view everything, I'm just too lazy to do that.